Sherriff checking boats today

• captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

This afternoon a water patrol sheriff (Goodhue Cty? )with a game warden on board was checking boats on the Miss R by Red Wing. He was pulling up next to boats and spending a fair amount of time with them. They were well within the 6 foot social distancing guidelines. Looked to be handing licenses back and forth but I wasn’t that close to be sure. He never stopped me but I wasn’t going to let him close to me. I was going to show him everything related to licenses and boat safety from a distance well past 6 feet. Not sure how I was going to handle them looking at my live well.

So,…in these trying times due to COVID 19,… was this really necessary??? I don’t appreciate them jeopardizing my health or the health of the other anglers. Fishing was slow so no really no need to even be checking fish on the odd chance someone had too many or didn’t meet the 15″ minimum walleye length rule. I suppose someone could get away with something but let’s weigh the relative risks.

Am I out off line? Should they be expected to do their enforcement job in ways that don’t require proximity? I think everyone has this social responsibility in all aspects of our lives. Ok,…time for a drink.

Charles

I was just thinking about this today and AIS inspectors.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They still have a job to do. I think they should be following the guidelines just like anyone else and setting a better example however.

Coletrain27

Only way to truly get away from everybody is to just stay home if you truly are worried about the virus. I’m guessing you still go to the gas station, grocery store and other public places for necessities?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

You choosing to be out there opens yourself up for enforcement. Same as driving down the road. You could get pulled over. Best way to guarantee 6 feet is staying home.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Just be respectful when they pull up and tell them your concerns. You still need to comply with their requests (they have a job to do) which i’m sure we will all do. There is no doubt in my mind they will respect your wishes and do their job from a distance.

If we have a problem with this maybe we need to stay home.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Thats a good question , wonder if they give a thought about their own well being ? Evidently not ? Sounds unprofessional to me ,especially all the info available , and they are of all things “Law Enforcement ”

riverruns
    Inactive

Hmm. Accident on the road and they want to test the drivers for alchohol. Nope stay away 6 feet and test me. Really? These are law enforcement people. If your that worried stay home!! They are out there serving the public and still protecting us. Come on.

Ripjiggen

Yeah pretty sure cops can not arrest people from a distance. Is it necessary?
    I believe it is.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

As previously stated — if all they are doing is checking licenses it can be done at 6 feet or get something that can reach that far.
    Was on Erie once with a friend and from a distance see a boat coming straight at us. Has to be a warden. Yep it was. We’re fishing in about 4 footers and wondering how we can keep from banging boats together???
    He pulls up 20 feet away and says”hold up your license . Pulls out binocs, checks our license. Says ok have fun fishing. waytogo
    That said if you are worried about it that much, better stay home.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

So,…in these trying times due to COVID 19,… was this really necessary???

Did you have a problem with the gas station clerk asking for your money as you filled the truck and boat up this morning? How about the bait shop guy? How about your wife or sharing the bed with you last night?

Good grief. If youre that concerned about the spread of the virus why are you leaving your house at all?

Dial back that anxiety while you’re at it too coffee

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

captddh, seems like only a couple of months ago you had a similar post regarding a warden and some venison sausage. Coincidence?

HRG

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

They are doing their job. After encountering a CO or Sheriff on the water, try thanking them for protecting our resources and the people using them.

The only people I’ve ever seen paranoid or angry when a sheriff or CO approached on the water were knowingly breaking a law.

whistling

Ice Cap

Believe it or not there are people that will try to take advantage of certain situations. This could be one where people think the enforcement may be sparse or non existent due to the situation we are in and decide to have a little afternoon free for all. Enforcement realizes this as well. I’d expect them to be extra vigilant and I would expect them to come on my boat and check live wells 6 feet or no 6 feet. The six foot distance is a recommendation and not a law after all.

If you’re that worried stay at home.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Just start coughing violently if they get too close

Deleted

Check me anytime. No different than the poor checkout lady today at our grocery store. She couldn’t be 6’ from anyone all day. Still had to pay for my groceries.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

Detroit police department has 5 officers with positive tests and 150 in quarantine.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Hey just be happy fishing is open on pool 4.. the fish are just trying to spawn. Just saying.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I had a solicitor come to my door last night. That’s ballzy.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Thanks for your comments everyone. Yes I could have stayed home. I did alot of planning to limit my exposure on this trip. I had not thought of this involuntary risk. I believe the practice of pulling up to ur boat and grabbing ahold of it is unnecessary unless ther is some probably cause. As pointed out,..routine checks can be visually done from a distance with clip boards or binoculars.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I had a solicitor come to my door last night. That’s ballzy.

I thought about that last night too and wondered when the first girl trying to sell cookies would have the balls to show up at my door.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

We have a new CO up in Cass county. She can check my boat anytime. wink

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks for your comments everyone. Yes I could have stayed home. I did alot of planning to limit my exposure on this trip. I had not thought of this involuntary risk. I believe the practice of pulling up to ur boat and grabbing ahold of it is unnecessary unless ther is some probably cause. As pointed out,..routine checks can be visually done from a distance with clip boards or binoculars.

You volunteered when you went fishing. Probable cause for checking your live well is fishing. Good luck on your next trip. Not sure if I will make it to the river this spring. frown

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Far right

Attachments:
    1. 3-COs.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

LOL! Probable cause is >>fishing.

I’m sure Co Brittany and Deputy J aren’t real thrilled about checking anyone’s boat, but it’s their job and I personally thank them every time I get a chance.

munchy
    NULL

LOL! Probable cause is >>fishing.

I’m sure Co Brittany and Deputy J aren’t real thrilled about checking anyone’s boat, but it’s their job and I personally thank them every time I get a chance.

waytogo
    Never a complaint if any CO checks me.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    Far right

I’d take the one in the center anyday. woot

Hell, I’ve got socks older than those 2,,,,,

HRG

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.