Sharpton & Jackson?

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I see (Duluth news channel) they have protests going on in Mpls regarding the Lock shooting. Will the rabble rousers show up to fan the flames or will the protests remain peaceful?

Another sad situation, I hope it doesn’t spiral into something worse.

munchy
    NULL

Just another innocent young man turning his life around.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Just another innocent young man turning his life around.

I won’t pass judgement on either the deceased or the shooter. Not my job. I just hope any protests remain peaceful.

munchy
    NULL

Just sayin’ pull a gun on the police while they’re serving a warrant, you get what’s coming.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If we could ask him he might say he was protecting or defending himself? I dunno, I don’t live in his head.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Why aren’t they protesting the kid that got killed at the school????

Wait. A cop didn’t shoot. sleeping

munchy
    NULL

, I don’t live in his head.

I just hope the face of the person he “allegedly” killed went through his mind during those final moments.

And go ahead, call me racist, I’d say the same about any other person in similar circumstances.

Brittman

Too early to have facts verified I suppose, but think about this:

The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, an organization that pushes for protections for Minnesotans’ right to keep and bear arms, released a statement condemning the use of no-knock warrants, like the one executed at the apartment where he was killed, and said his death was “completely avoidable.”

Amir Locke had a permit to carry a gun, his family said, and no criminal record in Minnesota.

In an interview, Rob Doar, the group’s vice president, emphasized that individuals have the right to self-defense within your home or “whatever dwelling you happen to be residing in.”

“Amir Locke had permit to carry, which isn’t required to carry in your own home, but it just goes to show that he was in fact a law-abiding citizen and not prohibited from possessing firearms, so any citizens could have ended up in this situation,” he said.

Doar warned that no-knock warrants are risky, especially since he said gun ownership soared to record levels last year. Ben Crump, the Locke family attorney who also represented George Floyd’s family, thanked the Minnesota Gun Caucus for its support on Friday.

“So now every day we’re entering into a situation where law enforcement officers are or may encounter somebody who is lawfully armed inside their home,” Doar said. “The use of no-knock warrants is counteractive to that right to self-defense.”

Separately:

Locke was a licensed gun owner with a concealed carry permit, that he didn’t live in the apartment, that police had not been looking for him and that he wasn’t one of three suspects named in the warrant.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Amir Locke had no criminal record. He had a permit to carry and was killed within 9 seconds of the police entering the apartment while executing a no-knock warrant. A warrant he wasn’t named in.

Link

SAINT PAUL, MN (February 4, 2022) – While many facts remain unknown at this time, information indicates that Amir Locke was a law-abiding citizen who was lawfully in possession of a firearm when he was shot and killed by Minneapolis Police on the morning of February 2nd.

“As seen in the body-worn camera video released by Minneapolis Police, Mr. Locke appears to be sleeping on the couch during the execution of a no-knock warrant, “ stated Bryan Strawser, Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus. “He is awoken with a confusing array of commands coming from multiple officers who are pointing lights and firearms at him.”

“Mr. Locke did what many of us might do in the same confusing circumstances, he reached for a legal means of self-defense while he sought to understand what was happening, “ added Rob Doar, Senior VP, Governmental Affairs.

Mr. Locke was not a suspect in the crime for which the warrant was issued and was not named at all in the search warrant.

“The tragic circumstances of Mr. Locke’s death were completely avoidable, “ stated Doar. “It’s yet another example where a no-knock warrant has resulted in the death of an innocent person. In this case, as in others, the public should expect and receive full transparency and accountability from law enforcement agencies that serve and protect our local communities.”

“Amir Locke, a lawful gun owner, should still be alive, “ added Strawser. “Black men, like all citizens, have a right to keep and bear arms. Black men, like all citizens, have the right to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects against unreasonable search and seizure.”

The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus expects a transparent and independent investigation into the circumstances of this tragic incident.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

No knock warrants put everyone at more risk and should be banished entirely imo. I’m sympathetic to the cops, but they are rolling in 12 deep in body armor and AR’s. Let everyone know that’s what is coming, and anyone with a little pistol is going to think better of it, or have a death wish and get a shot or two off. The same shot or two someone might fire that thinks it’s an enemy, gang or criminal kicking down or breaking in the door unannounced.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

No knock warrants put everyone at more risk and should be banished entirely imo. I’m sympathetic to the cops, but they are rolling in 12 deep in body armor and AR’s. Let everyone know that’s what is coming, and anyone with a little pistol is going to think better of it, or have a death wish and get a shot or two off. The same shot or two someone might fire that thinks it’s an enemy, gang or criminal kicking down or breaking in the door unannounced.

Exactly my thoughts. He was sleeping with his gun in case someone broke in to rob him. The warrant was carried out before 7 am. They didn’t even give him an opportunity to sit up let alone drop the gun. He had no clue what was happening.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    , I don’t live in his head.

I just hope the face of the person he “allegedly” killed went through his mind during those final moments.

And go ahead, call me racist, I’d say the same about any other person in similar circumstances.

If some one kicked in my door I’d have a gun in my hand as well. How could you just assume it’s police even if they yell police.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

Exactly my thoughts. He was sleeping with his gun in case someone broke in to rob him. The warrant was carried out before 7 am. They didn’t even give him an opportunity to sit up let alone drop the gun. He had no clue what was happening.

Very sad for the kid. In this situation the shots didn’t need to happen

shefland
    Walker

waiting for all the facts to come in. Lets see cops cannot pull you over in your vehicle, no warrant unless they ring your doorbell and wait for a invite? of course I am simplifying things, its a bad time to be a cop, Bottom line behave and everyone will come home at night

Beast

I don’t think the kid deserved to die, I think it was a wrongful shooting by the police, that being said, I don’t think they need a protest everytime something like this happens, what the hell do these people do, wait around and wait for a call to show up and act like dumb asses?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

waiting for all the facts to come in. Lets see cops cannot pull you over in your vehicle, no warrant unless they ring your doorbell and wait for a invite? of course I am simplifying things, its a bad time to be a cop, Bottom line behave and everyone will come home at night

The facts are in the bodycam footage. Locke did nothing wrong. Technically speaking, the cops didn’t either but the way they entered didn’t even give him an opportunity to even surrender.

buck-slayer

This is a tough one. If im the cop and someone gets up off the couch with gun in his hand im shooting too. But this guy has the CC and not sure if he was the one they were after. Sleeping with a gun on the night stand is sure different from sleeping with one in your lap. Nice neighborhood.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Pretty cut and dry. If you believe a person has a right to self defense, this should appall you. One could argue the ROE’s in combat are more stringent than what is being applied stateside. Back asswards

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

And of course hind sight is always 20/20. One has to assume regardless of what kind of warrant was being used there still was a warrant issued for that address. So what’s a good kid doing there? Is that a crime, obviously not however what kind of decision would you make in that circumstance? The shooting at the school the other day, the paper reported the school got rid of metal detectors and a dedicated officer and replace them with basically counselors, yep how did that work out? Maybe it obvious Locke did nothing wrong except he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. I just received my Conceal Carry, the training clearly states that you had better be in control of your gun at all times as the minute you pull your gun, all bets are off. Using that power could cost you your life.

Ripjiggen

Why is it that Minneapolis police have issued 13 no knock warrants since the beginning of this year alone. Saint Paul hasn’t issued one since 2016?

Why did St. Paul police request a regular warrant and Minneapolis refuse to execute unless it was a no knock warrant?

Why did St Paul issue 3 separate regular warrants for this apartment complex for 3 different apartments?

Questions I am sure some people would like to know.

Obviously not Munchy though he has already played jury in his mind.
    Even though Locke didn’t “allegedly”shoot anyone.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Why is it that Minneapolis police have issued 13 no knock warrants since the beginning of this year alone. Saint Paul hasn’t issued one since 2016?

Why did St. Paul police request a regular warrant and Minneapolis refuse to execute unless it was a no knock warrant?

Why did St Paul issue 3 separate regular warrants for this apartment complex for 3 different apartments?

Questions I am sure some people would like to know.

Obviously not Munchy though he has already played jury in his mind.

Why “no knock’s” in MPLS and not in St. Paul? My guess is that it comes down to a difference in philosophy where there is no right answer. Either way can end in tragedy. No knock is a tactical advantage that puts a suspect in a weaker position and the cops in a stronger one provided the element of surprise is achieved. Knock warrants give away the element of surprise putting cops lives in danger because they are now in the kill zone should a criminal choose to ambush. Nock warrants don’t lead to violent misunderstandings and/or ambiguity. The perp is either going to go peacefully or they aren’t. In this case, we will never know if the guy was aware they were cops.

shefland
    Walker

Another thing to add. As a retired MPLS FF I went to many events fire, police, medical related and what the media reported and what I actually saw, and I was there are sometimes not even close.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I echo a lot of sentiments said on here. I think it’s very fair to look at the situation of the cop, who’s about to have an unknown person raise his gun on him, and say “what was he supposed to do?” Then I also think it’s fair to look at a gun owner in his residence who just woke up from a deep sleep to guns pointing at him and ask “what was he supposed to do?” This could be a rare case of a failure not necessarily by the people on the ground with the guns but the system and methods themselves.

Brent Siebenaler

Should probably wait and see what Carlson and Jones have to say.

Ripjiggen

I echo a lot of sentiments said on here. I think it’s very fair to look at the situation of the cop, who’s about to have an unknown person raise his gun on him, he and say “what was he supposed to do?” Then I also think it’s fair to look at a gun owner in his residence who just woke up from a deep sleep to guns pointing at him and ask “what was he supposed to do?” This could be a rare case of a failure not necessarily by the people on the ground with the guns but the system and methods themselves.

I think that is a fair assessment.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I often wonder if anybody reads beyond the thread title.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Not a big fan of Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson. They exploit situations like this to line their pockets.

You could add Ben Crump to this group too. Technically he’s a civil suit lawyer but he’s looking to do the same thing.

AK Guy

Race profiteers.

Gitchi Gummi

If some one kicked in my door I’d have a gun in my hand as well. How could you just assume it’s police even if they yell police.

Very well said BC, I’d do the exact same. Would love to see what the 2A folks have to say about this.

Regardless, no knock warrants need to go away. The intended result can be achieved in other ways and there’s just too much risk for everyone involved with no knocks.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.