Sept/Oct Destination Advice Needed

• JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

So where would you fish in Sept or Oct for 1) Walleye, 2) Northern 3) Crappie (in that order) that is within about 3-4 hours of the Twin Cities? Been to Leech in the late Spring and open to that again, been to Devils Lake recently and did well. Looking for a place where the multi-species is good but the Walleye is primary. Also looking to do more Jiggin Rap techniques. Worked REAL well on Devils last week. But all methods are doable.

Any advice on a good fall bite? Probably too far to go to LOW but Rainy would be a little closer. 3-4 hour drive is ideal but if the fishing is that much better, I’d be open to a 6 hour drive. How’s Green Bay that time of the year?

Any advice?

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Leech/Winni…2 great lakes for those species (and in that order…). Plus all the little lakes around there should give you many good options (Cut Foot Sioux rocks for Crappies in the fall!)

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Rainy is a great choice! If you want similar scenery, fishing and a couple hours closer I’d go to Vermillion. Was up last October and the eye’s were on fire.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

When you mention walleye, northern and crappie in the fall, the lake that comes to mind for me is Big Pine in Perham.

Shhhh……she is a sleeper

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Headed to Rainy Lake on 10/1 for the 3rd year. Last year was better (fishing wise) that the first year, so we hope this year is even better. Its only because we are getting more familiar with the lake. The only issues we had each of the last 2 years was the wind on 3 out of 4 days, it makes it very tough to explore the mid lake reefs. Overall, still a great trip. We havent targeted northern or crappie there yet but I hear lots of good things about crappies in the fall on Rainy, we are going to spend a little time looking for them this trip

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Rainy, Mille Lacs, Pool 4.

FDR

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Tough to beat LOTW at that time if you hit it right.

Two years ago in mid October we had a crazy day. Between 2 people we 48 walleye(no sauger) from 9 AM until 11:45 AM. I think we ended up with ~80 total that day.

That was interesting, the night before we fished the exact same spot and pulled up all saugers(zero walleye). Went back in the morning and it was all walleye(zero sauger).

Jonesy

I go up to leech the first weekend of October every year (11th year this year). The fishing is great on leech if you can get it figured out. I’ve never caught a crappie up there but a guy in our group used to go with his dad and usually bring back 8-10 nice sized crappies.

Are you looking for a destination place where you can spend a few days or a place to get to and back in 1 day and fish?

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Mississippi River for ‘eyes, forget the rest. Reason? ‘Cause it’s closer to me so I can hop in with you! devil rotflol rotflol rotflol wave

-Rev

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

A little farther but the Waubay, SD area, add Jumbo Perch and slab Gills to the list. I will be there the first week of October.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

X2 on the Waubay/Webster area. We might just leave the boats at home and shore fish. Really a ton of options, we also take a long weekend and fall camp at Federal Dam on Leech, crappies and perch with a smattering of walleye, but roughing it in the wilderness in October is really the fun part.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Late into fall some of my best fishing times are smack dab in the middle of the day.

With that said I’d find some lil towns where there is a cool festival going on, or something similar and Hammer the fish during the day, then Hammer some good food and beverages at night amongst the townsfolk.

First fall in the new boat, exciting! I think it’s safe to say its many peoples favorite time to fish on here and good luck to you wherever ya go! toast

carver
    West Metro

JD, depending on dates, if you open for a second boat on the trip let me know if not I’ll be going up to leech once if not twice this fall.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Put some slime in that new rig. Sept/October is some of the best sturgeon fishing.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

JD, depending on dates, if you open for a second boat on the trip let me know if not I’ll be going up to leech once if not twice this fall.

Thanks Carver, I will certainly let you know. I’m waiting on my brother to get to me some dates that may work for him, cross check those with the neighbor that is going and set a few date options. Then I’ll contact you with some options.

Put some slime in that new rig. Sept/October is some of the best sturgeon fishing.

Got plenty of slime on it already from Devil’s Lake. Man that lake has a lot of algae this time of year!

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

Pool 4 you never know what you’ll get.Great spot for bass if you want.stop by the pioneer down here I may be around.i can or find the guy by the name of Jim he’s on the corner her and great at crappies.walleyes i heard the wing dams are the spot to be.The northerns are in with the bass in the back waters on Robinson and Peterson lake in Wabasha

Sam McDonald

Don’t overlook the Cass Lake area. Big Cass has tremendous structure that might mesh well with the jigging Rap technique. Kitchi holds beautiful crappies and sunfish. Big perch around too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.