SD Perch & Walleye Lures

• jon morris

A big group of us guys are heading to sd in a week. Was wondering what everyones favorite jigs/lures were for perch and eyes. Any input is great! Heard alot on spoons for both!

Thanks

Mike Johnson
    Nashua Iowa

2 weeks ago when I was there it was more important to just be on fish than what you were using. We were fishing 25 ft and needed something heavy to get back down fast before they moved on.

Bob Bessman

I use a lot of spoons, especially ones with rattles. Also Rippin Raps work well.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

What Mike said is more important… find the fish first, then worry about catching them. I’ve only had a couple of days when I spent more time switching jigs than moving around… it was -17 air temp that day… so we weren’t moving at all, just tried to get the fish under us to bite (not successfully I might add). Focus on being efficient when you do find fish. Get the lure down fast when on a school. Keep two rods with you baited and ready at all times. Or share holes when you get the fish stacked up…. one person catch on and while you’re unhooking the fish have the other one drop down. The more you can get them stirred up the more you can grab out of a school.

jon morris

Thanks for all the input looks like the weather should be decent in the 20s

KoopHawk

Last time I went up there I caught a 29″ Walleye on a Slender Spoon tipped with a minnow head along with a handful of Jumbos.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Jon,

Couple of lures come to mind from the last few seasons as well as this year.

Spoons such as Tinglers, Tumblers and Slender Spoons in colors Red, Gold, Orange and Chartreuse have worked well. Tipping them with minnow heads or red spikes works well.

Rattle Spoons such as Lindy Flyers and VMC Rattle spoons in similar colors have also produced well. Tip them the same.

Ultra-lite Rippin’ Raps have also produced. For perch and crappies, I’ve been adding 3-4 red spikes to the bottom treble. The Glow Perch has been my go to for walleyes and smallies.

And of course my old standby has really gotten a workout this year. Jiggin Rap and the Jiggin Shad Rap (#2 & #3) have been working exceptionally well for me. Same thing for perch and crappies, I’ve been adding 3-4 red spikes to the bottom treble. I really like these since this fish fast, meaning I can get back down super fast, staying in the zone and move with the school.

Biggest factor is drill, drill, drill until you find red marks. Once you find red marks, its ‘game on’ determining what they want.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.