SD Day county ice fishing

• westdan719

Trying a week in the Waubay area this February. Any words of experience of advice would be appreciated. Not looking for spots so much. More seeking any knowledge of that time of year. Sure it’s a basin bite for lakes that support it. Any good producing small holes or lakes I should pay attention to? I’ve only iced the west side of state for trout in years past. Any guides that you know that would put me on a crappie bite?

tornadochaser

Very few crappie lakes in general in SD. Walleye, perch, and pike will be your main targets.
    I’d start with the SD GFP website, look at netting and stocking reports. Go to the Ice Fishing South Dakota facebook page and look at posts from last winter and the winter before. Then, when the time comes, talk to the bait shops for “current reports.” Just because you’ll see 500 people on Bitter, Rush, or Waubay, doesn’t mean the bite is good. There’s a TON of “monkey see monkey do”, especially when it comes to non residents and residents we like to refer to as the “thundering herd”…always chasing reports.

For guides in general –
    Reel Therapy
    Waubay Lake Guide Service
    Wild J’s

There’s no shortage of other guide services, with wheel house rentals, snow bear day trips, run n gun, etc. Give a few a call this fall, they might know of decent crappie potential they might target that time of year.

Dash Adams

Honestly NE SD is completely fished out. NO fish there. I live there and go elsewhere. I’d try literally anywhere but there. Just saying cool grin

westdan719

Thanks Dash! I’ll just go to Nebraska now. I heard they don’t like outsiders fishing the state waters. Just saying!

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Eastern SD

Your best bet if you’ve never been to the area is hire a guide with a Snobear….your best chance for success.

Crappie bite….best bet is Lake Thompson.

Dash Adams

Westdan Yeah I was just messing with YOU – I couldn’t help myself – LOL

I would say Crappie Fishing in this part of the world isn’t all that special.

I agree with SoDak hire a SnoBear guy. Do it for day 1. Get a lay of the land – mark the spots they take you and then venture out on your own then there after.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.