Scraping a boat?

• munchy
    NULL

I would try Twin City Outboard ?

I wouldn’t, the owner is a jack@ss and will never see another dime of my money. And it’s not for something he did to me, its the way he was treating his employee while I was there purchasing something. Imagine Paul Teutle Sr. having a tantrum in front of customers. I should have walked out, but needed the part.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

My guess would be Bearcat as the winner. He isn’t afraid of a little work to score a deal.

Berating employees in front of the public is never a good look, however without knowing the whole story I’m not pitching anybody under the bus.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I’m with DB on that guess.

munchy
    NULL

Berating employees in front of the public is never a good look, however without knowing the whole story I’m not pitching anybody under the bus.

This was 15 or so years ago, but basically how they do/did business is they look up the part the customer needs in a catalog and get the price from there. This employee must have dropped their finger while sliding across the page and landed on a different parts price or just misread the price which was like $50 vs $100. He noticed it while micromanaging from his desk behind and literally started screaming and throwing things and saying “that’s coming out of your pay”, etc. There were 4 or 5 of us in line at the time and he was doing nothing to help, just the one employee doing pricing and running for parts. Mistakes happen, especially when you’re in a hurry, and that’s part of business, but when you’re doing nothing to prevent those mistakes from happening its completely on management. You don’t scream at someone for a mistake, especially in front of customers.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

My guess would be Bearcat as the winner. He isn’t afraid of a little work to score a deal.

That’s a pretty safe bet. whistling

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You guys know me all to well. This one peaks my interest for a winter project. So I’m heading over Saturday am going to figure out if I need to load it on one of my trailers or if I can redneck it to the trailer it’s on and take some back roads home. This is a good one for the kid to learn on.

CaptainMusky

We are going to need to see before and after and during pics BC!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We are going to need to see before and after and during pics BC!

I will definitely do that.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well the boat was picked up that Saturday, and we went right to work. It is officially back to life. We took the maiden voyage this past Sunday.
    A buddy and I welded the hull, cut the trailer tongue off and rebuilt it, rebuilt the winch post and fixed 2 rollers on the trailer. Now it needs some electronics and a trolling motor and it’s ready to fish.

Attachments:
    1. 20240720_203348-scaled.jpg

2. 20240726_184813-scaled.jpg

3. 20240726_184802-scaled.jpg

4. 20240726_183547-scaled.jpg

5. 20240726_183534-scaled.jpg

6. 20240728_173811-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wow that’s great!

It was a fun short lived project. Was much less work then I anticipated

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

BC – the original post mentioned some transom damage, was there anything on the transom that you needed to fix?

Nice job on the repairs!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

nicework BC!!!!!! peace waytogo

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

BC – the original post mentioned some transom damage, was there anything on the transom that you needed to fix?

Nice job on the repairs!

Not anything that I could see. There is some paint flaking where the kicker was but I took it out and gunned it a few times and see zero flexing. I will probably cut the cap off this winter and pour in a solid transom just for piece of mind, but as of now there was no transom damage due to accident.

Looking at the shop quotes for damage and damage repairs, the shop gave the insurance company a ” I don’t want to do the work” kinda quote. I’m pretty positive they quoted a full interior removal for the hull weld. And that was not even kind of needed.

CaptainMusky

Those are some high quality welds nice work!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This was a small cut in the bottom back corner of the boat not sure if they counted this as transom damage ? But this was also welded. I forgot to take a finish weld Pic

Attachments:
    1. 20240720_183708-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Those are some high quality welds nice work!

A couple of hillbilly rednecks in the garage can do anything we put our minds to lol. I can weld everything but the aluminum. I didn’t trust my self for that, I’d end up burning a bigger hole. So a buddy did the aluminum for me.
    Being a union laborer we are able to take a 12 week mn certified welding course for free, so I have my state welding certificate for the last 12 years.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i welded alot of different stainless alloys in my day…..Aluminum?? not……wish i coulda learned that art!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

A couple of hillbilly rednecks in the garage can do anything we put our minds to lol. I can weld everything but the aluminum. I didn’t trust my self for that, I’d end up burning a bigger hole. So a buddy did the aluminum for me.
    Being a union laborer we are able to take a 12 week mn certified welding course for free, so I have my state welding certificate for the last 12 years.
    [/quote] BC……is that certificate like a common arc cert???? or is the state cert different?

out field boilermakers were common arc certified. the employers would come in and test welders and clear them to weld on there jobs. they’d be able to weld then for numerous employers.

when i worked on the floor i was ASME certified in 17 different alloys both tig and mig!!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

BC……is that certificate like a common arc cert???? or is the state cert different?

out field boilermakers were common arc certified. the employers would come in and test welders and clear them to weld on there jobs. they’d be able to weld then for numerous employers.

when i worked on the floor i was ASME certified in 17 different alloys both tig and mig!!!
    [/quote]

I don’t recall if it’s common arc or what else is involved. It’s a 200 hour course and they offer 15 different certificates if I remember correctly. It’s been 12 years since I took it.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Where is the skag repair pics?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Where is the skag repair pics?

Skeg is going to go to marks on Tuesday. I ran it the way it was Sunday for the test run.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Just now read through this thread.

Pretty nice boat and trailer that was revived back to life here. It’s interesting and admirable when someone does that with a car or a boat.

Well done waytogo

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just now read through this thread.

Pretty nice boat and trailer that was revived back to life here. It’s interesting and admirable when someone does that with a car or a boat.

Well done.

I grew up dirt floor poor, and ain’t far from it now. So getting broken stuff and fixing it has been my entire life.
    Some people’s junk is just a few steps away from being another man’s treasure. A few garage hours is sure better then taking a loan or writing a check.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I wonder if you could not get a full windshield the same weigh as the bubble consoles and turn it to a windshield boat. Then add 2 12″ subwoofers and 1000w amp and some tweeters for a kick ass radio. Get a wrap with a shark on it and some chrome wheels.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

So getting broken stuff and fixing it has been my entire life.
    Some people’s junk is just a few steps away from being another man’s treasure. A few garage hours is sure better then taking a loan or writing a check.

Totally. Some people have those abilities and tools, some don’t. You obviously do.

What is the length of the boat and the outboard size? I can’t quite tell from the photos.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

thanks

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.