Scraping a boat?

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

So with the events this summer my friend Al is ending up with his totaled boat back. Its a 2006 Crestliner Sportfish 1850 with a 115hp Optimax on it. The transom was damaged, there is a hole in the keel and the hull and the skeg and lower unit were damaged. Trailer is also damaged but probably repairable, the engine only has 270 hours. Any ideas on where to take it or best options on getting rid of it, is there any value to anyone here?

CaptainMusky

Hmm, I wonder if a metal scrap yard would take it, but the motor would definitely have some value. Otherwise it would be just weight per pound. No idea what that would be however.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would try Twin City Outboard ?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Hmm, I wonder if a metal scrap yard would take it, but the motor would definitely have some value. Otherwise it would be just weight per pound. No idea what that would be however.

Agree it’s aluminum but, a person would have to strip everything that is not metal off it to get scrap value.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If he has the time and storage space strip anything off he can. Take the compartment lids, all hardware, any windshield components not damaged. They all have a monetary value if he wants to part it out. The hull it’s self, he can take to the scrap yard and they will pay weight on it. Carpet & floor will need to be out. As mentioned the motor will sell. Have it taken to a shop where they can run it and do a computer scan. That will be important to a buyer, knowing it runs and the hours.

Good luck, it sucks he has to do it but hopefully the insurance company did right by him.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If you just want to make it go away, call a dealer. They should be able to help get the boat into a wholesale auction.

-J.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Good luck, it sucks he has to do it but hopefully the insurance company did right by him.

They did I believe, he has some allocation for towing and disposal also so not trying make money off it necessarily, just wondering the easiest way to handle it. I suppose it would not be to much work to strip it. The worst is the trailer is damaged enough to it is not in shape to safely haul it.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If you just want to make it go away, call a dealer. They should be able to help get the boat into a wholesale auction.

Hadn’t thought of that, actually didn’t know they did auctions for damaged boats but is suppose that makes sense.

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

Might check with recreationalsalvage.com They are up by Detroit Lakes and auction damaged boats. Not sure if they just deal with insurance companies or if individuals can use them also.

ThunderLund78

I’ve never really thought of it, but Aluminum is aways in pretty high demand. What is the scrap value of a hull and does the cost of removing everything else in it make it not worth the scrap price?

isu22andy

Windshield on those boats is worth 500 bucks or more . Someone is always looking for one on the facebook page .

B-man

Never used it but look into CrashedToys.com

CaptainMusky

Is crankyape still a thing? THey used to have lots of salvaged things on there, but I havent gone to that site in years.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks for the ideas guys and keep em coming if you have more. Sounds like someone is interested in the motor already so maybe we part it out.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Is crankyape still a thing? THey used to have lots of salvaged things on there, but I havent gone to that site in years.

I think Cranky Ape bought John’s Auto Parts on Hwy 65 in Blaine.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Copart north is in Ham Lake. They auction cars motorcycles snowmobiles ect. Most of the auctions are insurance but they do deal with the general public. They do pickups and are in your general area.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Copart north is in Ham Lake. They auction cars motorcycles snowmobiles ect. Most of the auctions are insurance but they do deal with the general public. They do pickups and are in your general area.

Thanks I’m aware of there locations, did not know they might take stuff from the public though. Will consider that, thanks.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Windshield on those boats is worth 500 bucks or more . Someone is always looking for one on the facebook page .

I’d say it’s worth a lot more than that. I busted the windshield in my 2006 Lund and we couldn’t find one. We were able to get the mfg (Taylor) to get the mold out and make a new one. Cost $5k on a boat I later sold for $12k. Good thing insurance covered it!

I’d part this thing out and find someone who will come pickup the hull.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. He got taken care of by insurance so he just wants this to be easy. Someone we know well here is taking the whole rig so he can repurpose the engine and controls. Lets just say it’s only costing him some fishing spots. wink

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. He got taken care of by insurance so he just wants this to be easy. Someone we know well here is taking the whole rig so he can repurpose the engine and controls. Lets just say it’s only costing him some fishing spots. wink

damn Iowaboy!!!!! whistling rotflol rotflol

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Scrapping.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Call K & E recycling in MPls, When I was there last week a guy brought a boat in for scrap, do not know how much they gave him but they bought it for scrap. It was boat only no motor and the inside was gutted.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks for the correction on the spelling fellas. doah Glenn you were close Sheldon was second in line for the engine.

ThunderLund78

I would try Twin City Outboard ?

If you’re talking about the one in Shakopee, I heard they closed down due to the Amphitheater construction (maybe got an offer for the land they couldn’t refuse?). Not 100% positive. Can anyone verify? if they did close, do they have any future plans of re-opening somewhere else? It was an interesting place.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks for the correction on the spelling fellas. doah Glenn you were close Sheldon was second in line for the engine.

Every time I saw this post I pictured you with a putty knife removing paint from a boat!? jester

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Every time I saw this post I pictured you with a putty knife removing paint from a boat!?

Yeah yeah everybody is a comedian!! moon rotflol rotflol

big_g
    Isle, MN

OK, one more John…

Attachments:
    1. SCRAPING.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.