Saw Blade Sharpening

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

IDO woodworkers and building trades guys, where is the go-to place in or as near as possible to the East Metro to take saw blades for sharpening?

I have miter saw and table saw blades that need it badly and it’s time to send 5-6 blades in for a touch up. In the past, I’ve used mail order services, but the price of shipping has risen significantly in the past few years, so these services have become very expensive. They were also very slow in the past, it took the best part of 2 weeks. These are all quality blades, Forest and Freud, so I’d hope it’s still worth having them sharpened.

Is there any local place in the East Metro that sharpens saw blades and router bits? Or anywhere in the metro for that matter.

Many thanks.

Grouse

DonG

The blades now-a-days are all made to throw away. I can’t imagine what a carbide tooth would cost to have done now. Count the teeth and multiply by .50 and thats what we used to pay years ago.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I can’t believe anyone is throwing away a $150 Forest Chopmaster blade after it dulls the first time. I agree cheap circular saw and low end table/miter saw blades are disposable, but that’s not what I have.

Forest has its own sharpening service, and there are plenty of mail order services out there. For 10 inch table saw blades, prices are falling between $15 and $25 plus shipping 2 ways. Last time I sent in a stack of blades I think my average was $25 or so a blade including shipping.

I was just wondering if anyone still operated a local service.

Grouse

munchy
    NULL

Carbide tips on quality blades are about 4 times the size of cheap throwaway blades and are made to be sharpened a few times and can actually be replaced if a couple are chipped or missing as well.

Check out Eide in Minneapolis. I once worked for a cabinet maker who had all their blades sharpened by them.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks Munchy. I vaguely remember calling Eide years ago and if I recall correctly they were trade only and you had to have an account? I’ll call again as I may be thinking of a different place.

Rockler and Ace Hardware both offer services, but they are sending the blades out so there’s no time savings in going with these places vs just sticking with the place I’ve used before.

Grouse

munchy
    NULL

I didn’t think of that…. If Eide doesn’t work out a quick google search showed Ophoven Saw Service in Burnsville, and Service Grinding and Sharpening in Blaine. (One review for Service Grinding was a hobby woodworker that said they sharpened his blades) https://g.co/kgs/jK6u5J

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I use Rosemount tool and saw. They treat me very well.
    Rockler and Ace send their blades to Rosemount.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I use Rosemount tool and saw. They treat me very well.
    Rockler and Ace send their blades to Rosemount.

+ 1 for RM T&S. The best part is they pick up and drop them back off!

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Grouse, I don’t know if I’d trust anyone with a Forrest blade except Forrest. As you know they’re a premium blade. I know they’re on the west side of the metro, but Acme tools in Plymouth do a great job sharpening. They also sell Forrest blades.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

. I know they’re on the west side of the metro, but Acme tools in Plymouth do a great job sharpening.

Hear that, Grouse? WEST SIDE!

djshannon
    Crosslake

I have used Eide in Minneapolis, located just of Central Ave by Youngbloods Lumber for years.

I drop them off when I am in Minneapolis and they ship them back within two weeks as sharp as new with the tips covered with some kind of peal off protective coating.

Top notch place.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe talk to rockler or woodworkers supply houses. I can sharpen hand saws but not circle saws….. go figure

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Appreciate all the replies. Good to uncover local places I didn’t know about.

Called Eide and they do accept drop offs without an account, so that’s where I’m headed. It’s only a few minutes from work, so it’s an easy place to use. It’s also quick enough so that I can take everything in at once and not be left bladeless. A man should never be bladeless…

Hear that, Grouse? WEST SIDE!

Using Eides also helps me avoid the risk of venturing too far west into uncivilized parts and falling off the edge of the Earth, Ralph. I’m assuming they have barricades, but why risk it?

Grouse

404 ERROR
    MN

X3 on Rosemount Saw and Tool. The blade sharpening there is great. I would look elsewhere for small engine repair, however. Most places in the area send their blades to them for sharpening and tag on some extra dough to make it worth their while.

buschman
    Pool 2

There is an old man in St Paul Park. His name is Sal and goes under Sal’s sharpening. He has the equipment to sharpen anything. I just don’t know how much he is sharpening these days. He is on Aurora Ave and worth the call if you are close. He is the nicest guy and I will bring my chainsaw chains to him till he tells me no. I usually bring a half dozen or so in at a time now. If you in a pinch anyways he is a guy that will do it right in front of you and get you back to work quick if needed.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

If you are using a Forrest blade, I would highly suggest that you get is sharpened by Forrest. It is reasonably priced.

Forrest Blade Sharpening Service

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Rosemount had these finished in 2 days. They do a good job on my Freud Fushion (best blade IMHO) they sharpen everything under the sun. Including Router bits.

Attachments:
    1. Blades.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.