Saddle hunting

• slabz

Who here has some experience when it comes to saddle hunting? I have been kicking the tires for a few years now but think I’m about to give it a shot. It would be used mainly as a hike in public land set up for me. Looking for any information on what you guys think of saddle hunting in general..also recommendations on saddles, sticks, platform, etc would be fantastic! Thanks!

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

The saddle is my main tool for public. some guys hate it and think its pretty uncomfortable but I have been really liking mine. I run a tethrd phantom & their predator platform. right now I have xop full length sticks but will most likely pull the trigger on some lone wolf custom gear double sticks when they come back in stock. I do 100% hang & Hunts on public during season. if you do end up grabbing one mess around with it a bunch on ground level and figure out what setup is comfortable.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Check out Youtuber “Hunt Urban” he has lots of info about the ropes and how to use them to get a rock solid shot.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

I have the Trophyline covert lite and love it. One piece of advice take it for what its worth is take plenty of time when you do get the one you pick and practice hanging shooting and setting it up. I still have some struggles getting 100% steady for shots (some is the platform). I think the platform is just as important as the saddle.

I also shoot a 60″ trad bow and think if I ran a wheel bow it might be a touch easier.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    Go to saddlehunter.com

Do you shoot your xbow out of it? Thoughts?

People been hunting from home made saddles for over 40 years already. It has only recently gone mainstream. Longbow, crossbow, rifle, etc.

I had every intention of being in a saddle this year and I’m tuned into saddlehunter weekly the past 15 months. I’m flabbergasted at the various climbing methods. There’s just SO many ways to do it.

Being a big guy like yourself I’ll probably enjoy a jx3 type saddle.

Haven’t put in the effort to figure out the right setup for me, so I haven’t spent money on that style YET.

There’s a lot of trading on that website but incredible amount of info going back several years.

Been busy this year planning a move instead, in-between packing boxes right now.

Saddles have their benefits up high or with feet on the ground. Choosing what is right for you won’t be easy. There’s some hip pinch and getting into “saddle shape” with most the types except the lawn chair style like jx3.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Saddles have their benefits up high or with feet on the ground. Choosing what is right for you won’t be easy. There’s some hip pinch and getting into “saddle shape” with most the types except the lawn chair style like jx3.

Thanks, I need to try a few out, I’m a little skeptical I’ll like it due to being a bigger fella and I much prefer shooting from rest.

Michael Best

Last year was my first year saddle hunting.
    I like it a lot.
    I run a tethrd phantom saddle with beast sticks.
    One of the best things I like about a saddle is you can hunt smaller trees then with a hang on stand.

My preferred height to hunt from is 18 to 20’ up. With the sticks I have I need one aider on the bottom stick to get that high.

A couple nice add ons are a HYS strap from Tethrd, some rope ascenders.
    I can hang all my gear off one HYS strap and the ascenders help greatly on the linemen’s rope while going up and down trees that change in diameter.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

THP just released a nice video on saddle hacks yesterday. Worth the watch. The “one stick” method seemed interesting.

I realize there are other benefits then weight but some of these saddle hunters seem to be carrying more weight in supplies than a hang on set up.

Michael Best

There are 2 reasons I decided to try saddle hunting.
    To save weight an ease of getting into a tree.
    I can hang my mobile stand and sticks in about 20 minutes.
    The saddle cuts that in half the time.
    Weight wise my sticks are 8 lbs and the predator platform is 3 lbs.
    Everything goes into or onto my Kifaru x ray pack (2000 cubic inch)
    Grab the pack and grab the bow then go hunting.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.