Runners for flip over worth it?

• mrpike1973

I bought a Eskimo Sierra insulated 2 person house. Would you put runners on it pulling only by hand? Does it really help with pulling or not really noticeable. Figured If I do do it now before fully assembled.

Ripjiggen

Runners help with the wear of the bottom of a tub. Not so much help pulling. You want to pull by hand build a smitty sled. Only way to go pulling by hand.

mrpike1973

Thanks for the advice I had a Smitty sled didn’t think it did anything that great and was more of a pain folding up. Just my experience with them. That’s what I wanted to know if it helped when pulling.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hyfax does not help with pulling. And that house will get heavy fast. I wouldn’t hand pull it far u less it was glare ice or I had a smitty. If your smitty didn’t help then I think it was built on the wrong skis or something. They are a huge help

Rick Janssen

I had an OLD Otter (purple) for over 15 years and never put anything on the bottom and it pulled fine. I don’t think you really have to worry about wearing out the bottom of these unless you are pulling over miles of gravel or something. Last year the canvas just had too many holes for me to patch anymore so I went and bought a new one man house. I did build a smitty sled that I used when the snow was very deep and then it was helpful. I just have staps that I use to attach the house to the sled so I don’t use the sled unless there is deep snow. I really don’t think the runners etc help that much for pulling and like I said, I never even got close to wearing out the bottom of that old Otter house.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have 2″ thick plastic runners on my flip over and that helps it pull easier, at least until there is over 2″ of soft snow on the lake. Also helps it sit up higher, but isn’t ideal if there isn’t a lot of snow to bank it in as the skirt has 2″ less ground clearance.

LabDaddy1

I had an OLD Otter (purple) for over 15 years and never put anything on the bottom and it pulled fine. I don’t think you really have to worry about wearing out the bottom of these unless you are pulling over miles of gravel or something. Last year the canvas just had too many holes for me to patch anymore so I went and bought a new one man house. I did build a smitty sled that I used when the snow was very deep and then it was helpful. I just have staps that I use to attach the house to the sled so I don’t use the sled unless there is deep snow. I really don’t think the runners etc help that much for pulling and like I said, I never even got close to wearing out the bottom of that old Otter house.

Interesting because I had an old orange otter “team wild” 2-man and that sled got beat to p!ss without a ton of use, and even less “off road” use.

I would think it’s gotta be somewhat comparable to waxing the bottom of your boat; every bit helps a little…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If you pull with a machine they are a must. People who pull with machines go further and often don’t think twice about gravel, blacktop, or packing the house full of heavy items.

If you pull by hand it is more of a personal preference thing as you will likely be packing significantly lighter. If you are careful to try and stay off blacktop and gravel when you can you likely won’t have issues. I pulled an old 1 man over logs, gravel, blacktop, rip rapped shoreline, etc. on the river for years without hyfax and never had the slightest issue. I put more miles on that thing in a day to get away from crowds than most guys walk in a season.

Hyfax will not help make the pull easier.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I would think it’s gotta be somewhat comparable to waxing the bottom of your boat; every bit helps a little…

Sorry, getting off topic. Waxing the bottom of your boat will create more drag and slow the boat down.

IMO, even if you are just hand pulling the sled, the runners are worth it. Even just dragging over pavement in a parking lot for a few feet can start tearing up the bottom.

-J.

Gitchi Gummi

The hyfax runners also reduce the surface area of the bottom of the sled that make contact with the ground (at least my sled does). In theory, the less surface area making contact should reduce the coefficient of friction (i.e. part of why smitty sleds pull so much easier). Whether or not it would be a noticeable difference for someone pulling by hand is up for debate. As others have said, just dragging over a few feet of pavement (like from the parking lot to the lake), can make a difference when pulling by hand.

mrpike1973

Just got the runners on last night little bit of a pain but not bad really like it so far

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Just make a smitty sled if you are pulling by hand. My house went from a 2-man heavy pull to an easy don’t even know I am pulling it with the rope wrapped around my me pull. Rebuild your smitty sled if it didn’t help. For me it was a world of difference.

Deuces

Have an Evo 1, cheap sled, drag that thing quite often on pavement while fishing the city lakes. Cant imagine running out the bottom of even that sled, mine is still just fine.

Just another way to make money off ya imo. Will it help, sure, but the second you drag those nice new shiny tracks over gravel they’ll scratch and cause friction just like the plastic underneath it.

To each his own.

Ripjiggen

Just make a smitty sled if you are pulling by hand. My house went from a 2-man heavy pull to an easy don’t even know I am pulling it with the rope wrapped around my me pull. Rebuild your smitty sled if it didn’t help. For me it was a world of difference.

Totally agree.
    Here is mine. You can pop up one end twist it and pop it back in the the same ski for easy storage. Wouldn’t walk without it. I have since modded it more.

Attachments:
    1. FCDB40EB-C42E-4ADF-857D-50B7091CF2FD-scaled.jpeg

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

What size is that pvc?

mrpike1973

Great PVC pipe idea right now I cannot find any ski’s. Good will old stores etc. everyone buying them for just this purpose. I figured out my old one were cross country ski’s. If I ever get a pair under $20 bucks I’ll build another looked all summer yard sales etc. and now they now how to charge for them also frown

MNdrifter

First time using my Otter Resort was late last March on LOTW’s. Crossing jagged ice and probably 500’ of gravel and tar from campsite to lake was rough. Got to figure out how to repair this crack. Then will definitely be putting runners on!

Attachments:
    1. 92AF2963-C57F-45E3-A539-5C3CC83EFABD-scaled.jpeg

2. B2FF774F-0854-4A70-A9C3-A3555ACC54BA-scaled.jpeg

Ripjiggen

What size is that pvc?

1.5. Go little bigger if you want. If have a real large shack. Can add rigidity how ever you see fit. Easy to customize. Rod holders auger holders…etc.

Down hill much better than CC skis. These are junior size I think which was perfect. Adult size could probably be cut if need be.

This is my first version. Will get some picks up when I get it out of how it looks now. Wanted to make it light and compact for storage is why I tried this route. It stores standing up in a corner the width of two skis. Could probably putt all pipe in my hub bag and build it each time but I just toss it in the back of truck with pipe running length of ski.
    Grip tape really helps with any sliding. Bungees would probably work.
    Have since moved rope to skis.
    I pull my larger one man and my otter resort hub with a tub of gear with almost this version. Sometimes even my five year old rides inside. Other times it is easy enough for him to pull it a bit.
    I pretty much use it with any snow on the lake.

Key to pulling a sled is drag and friction. As soon as any snow builds up in front of your shack it sucks. Don’t care what shack you have. Less friction with two skis vs a whole tub.

Runners are a good investment no matter what. Dragging on glare ice up to most likely gravel or payment and vice versa.

Drifter JB weld on both sides and run the runner over the center should do the trick.

mrpike1973

Ripjiggen well After several phone call found a set of down hill ski’s 5 feet long $30 ouch but got them did very similar to yours. I” post a pic if I can figure it out.

MNdrifter

Drifter JB weld on both sides and run the runner over the center should do the trick.

Will try!!! I ain’t out nothing!

mrpike1973

Ok here it is I glued the pipes to the elbows. Then in the picture figure gravity will hold it down. Seems sturdy so far. Drilled holes in the front ski’s need to get rope yet and great idea with friction tape that as well. I plan to use a marker on the sides to facilitate putting them back on used 2 inch PVC. Hopefully will not twist bad. Put holes in to hold the bungee cords. Also built a ramp for the car. Man does that help first time working with PVC I like it better than working with wood. The pipes are 3 foot wide is that to wide or? I sure hope this will help with the 2 man and 1 man in deep snow. Need to find wax for the bottom would Armor all work?

Attachments:
    1. ramp-scaled.jpg

2. smitty-sled2-scaled.jpg

3. smitty-sled-1-scaled.jpg

mrpike1973

Forgot to add it has 8 inches clearance I can build it up more I think if needed.

mrpike1973

I needed to move the pipes closer together and the grip tape is a must. Thanks Ripjiggen

Attachments:
    1. one-man-on-smitty-sled-scaled.jpg

2. eskimo-on-smitty-sled-scaled.jpg

Ripjiggen

So looks good for the one man. I would mount another set of T’s further back for the 2 man to move some of the wait back and have better balance.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.