Roll on bed liner

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Any one use herculiner. I want to put a bed liner in my truck and am not paying some one 700 to do a 2 hour job when I can get the materials for under a 100 bucks.

If any one has done the roll on please let me know how it went and how did it last.

Pros and cons please

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I did it in my truck. Little bit of a process. Looked real nice for about a year, but then started to wear. That was probably 6 years ago. Might have worked better if I did multiple coats 3 or 4, or even touched it up over the years.

B-man

Don’t do it…..

Pay to have it done or just buy a rubber bed mat and tailgate cover…..

Been there, done that

The Pessimist

BedTred. Just put one in my new truck. $400 and I love it.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Don’t do it…..

Pay to have it done or just buy a rubber bed mat and tailgate cover…..

Been there, done that

Agreed. Heard more then enough horror stories. Most complaints are it starts peeling off. If it’s an old beater truck, have at it. Buddy put it on his ATV racks at it peeled off and looks horrible.

Arden Hills Linex is very good, it was quit a bit under $700 a few years back. And it’s warranteed for life.

I did experiment with some running boards this summer with 3M’s version of spray in liner. I was NOT going for styling points but it did turn out pretty descent. I did 4-5 coats as it was dirt cheap off Amazon (spray cans)…we’ll see how she holds up. IF you insist on doing it yourself, look at the 3M product.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Herculiner isn’t durable enough. Anything metal will scratch right thru to the bed. If you haul nothing it will be fine. My last truck had spray in when I bought it. The spray in was 100x better.

Dan
    Southeast MN

just buy a rubber bed mat

I’d highly recommend a rubber bed mat. When I bought my first new truck I thought for sure I wanted that whole bed and tailgate lined. Then a buddy suggested getting a rubber bed mat and I figured I’d try it out an eventually get the lining done. Well 5 years later I’m still loving my $75 investment at Fleet Farm of my rubber mat. At FF at least they’ve got ones that are fitted for your specific truck make. Nothing really slides around on the rubber, and you can yank them out and hose them down to clean. To each their own, but I really like the rubber mat.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I have a topper on mine year round and use it to haul fishing crap/coolers not loads of fire wood or rock. But I’ve been very happy with the roll your own. I still put a rubber mat down so it’s easier on the knees.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Herculiner peels up after a few years. Prep is the key.
    Try Scorpion Bed Liner, $200 on line and with prep will take you 6 hours to do. Did this to my truck and just as good as a $700 job.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Herculiner is junk and a waste of money. Pay to have it done. ($700 dollars to do a 2 hour job)They have $1000’s of dollars in equipment, have years of experience and have to pay environmental fees to spray that stuff. So there is a little more involved then you think.

Or try Scorpion Bed Liner $200 on line and with prep will take you 6 hours to do. Did this to my truck and just as good.

Do you have experience with herculiner and or bed liner., you sure have some strong opinions for me just asking what to use

fishingdm

I did the roll on bedliner myself in my old Ford Ranger truck. I had to do it twice. The first time I used Duplicolors roll on bedliner. It started to peel off so I then removed what was left of it and then used herculiner. The herculiner held up I didn’t have any peeling. I also used it on the lower part of the body after repairing some rust. It worked well enough I used it again on my next truck, a Ford F-150. I didn’t have any peeling on that truck either. The only problem I had was that it started to fade really quick. At the time they sold a UV protectant top coat made by Herculiner. I applied this and it looked like new again and never faded again. I had it on this truck for about 8 years. I did have a bed cover on it and a rubber bed mat.

The prep work of the bed surfaces is what makes it last. You have to make sure it is really clean, every square inch and nook and cranny. Then you have to scuff the paint so there is no glossy parts left. I used a 3m scuff pad made for this purpose. If you have any bare metal, sand it and coat with a good primer/sealer. After all this you clean again with a good wax/grease remover, I used a PPG product. Most of the time it takes to do this job is the prep work. It’s not a 2 hour job, I don’t remember how long it took me it was a long time ago.

Would I do it again? Probably not, even though it worked for me and looked good. It is pretty thin once put on, more like a textured paint. This was all I could afford back then. I would do the line-x product.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

(Do you have experience with herculiner and or bed liner., you sure have some strong opinions for me just asking what to use)

Yes, Used it on my last truck bed and after a couple years it came up, kind of like that do it your self garage floor coatings that look good the first 2 years then peels up. Look up the Scorpion Bed liner if your going to do it your self. It comes with the sprayer and the online videos walk you though it pretty easy.
    Did not mean to be so harsh, the quote (pay someone $700 for a 2 hour job) set me off because it is a lot more to it then that.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Fishingdm thank you for the tip I appreciate it

404 ERROR
    MN

Prep is key. I’ve seen herculiner done quickly and also done right. The quick resulted in peeling and chipping. Done right, it will still scratch much easier than a professional job, but it will stay put.

FWIW, I had Herculiner done right in my last truck and I ponied up and had it professionally done on my current truck. The Line-x is some seriously tough stuff that I have yet to see be beat by any DIY material.

If I were you, I would just postpone it and slowly save up for a professional spray-in job. It’s not like you’ll notice the scratches you created in the down time anyways.

Reef W

My next truck will have Line-X. I don’t know what mine is currently since I bought it used but it’s some thin coating done by the dealer. I didn’t think anything of it until I recently took a chunk out of it. Now I see how thin it is compared to a name brand professional job and what a pain it is to fix it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks big crappie and eagle and every one. I’m just a cheap guy and like to do stuff my self when possible. I set a appointment to have linex done tommorrow. Just wanted to be sure 649 wasn’t something I could do for a 100.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Line-x goes on hot and is pretty thin and finishes to a hard slicker coating. Rhino is thicker and more rubber like. Both are operator dependant.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.