rod Holders

• walinutz
    Cologne, MN

I’ve used the Scotty brand rod holders for years. upgraded boats and need new ones.

what do you guys use? looking for recommendations. I do not use down riggers.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I still like the Scotty’s. They held up while my sport track bracket it was mounted to actually broke when I came in real hot against some trees at the Hastings launch.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I’ve used the Scotty brand rod holders for years. upgraded boats and need new ones.

what do you guys use? looking for recommendations. I do not use down riggers.

Folbe rod holders ..Big reels use the Folbe Advantage and for Spinning reels use the Folbe Jr’s

I have 4 of each for my boat, once you get used to them they are really easy to use..just lift straight up and forward at same time..

I don’t back troll so mine are mine are set up to open up and forward to insure hook set if needed.

Brewer

I agree with trumar. I just switched to Folbe from Ram. The Folbe rod holders are very solid. It is virtually impossible to accidentally bump a rod out of the rod holders, which is great when fishing with kids. I have 6 in the boat. I went with 4 of the Jrs and 2 of the Advantage. Some of my bait casters don’t fit in the Jrs, but most do.

Karry Kyllo

I’ve used Scotty’s for alot of years and I still like them.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I have rams on my boat… just added 4 more bases over the weekend to support my different styles of fishing and comfort level while doing so. I was not sure about them when I bought the boat used, but they have held up well for everything I need. Bottom bouncing and trolling cranks with inline planers is about the most strenuous work they see. They have held up well.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It depends on what you plan on doing with them. If you plan on pulling heavy pulling baits like dipsys or 1 lb weights, you definitely want metal track mounted holders.

If not, Scotty’s are still a good choice as are the Folbe’s. The think I like about Scotty is they have so many different configurations and accessories. It really makes them a top choice for me.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

If not, Scotty’s are still a good choice as are the Folbe’s. The think I like about Scotty is they have so many different configurations and accessories. It really makes them a top choice for me.

Every once in a while I run across an accessory that I didn’t even know existed. I need to find a place where they are all listed so I can see what I’m missing.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Every once in a while I run across an accessory that I didn’t even know existed. I need to find a place where they are all listed so I can see what I’m missing.

I can’t find a place where they are all on one page but it’s well worth the hour or two surfing their site. I just found out they make landing nets.

http://www.scotty.com/

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’ve always used scotty rod holders too. I’ve atruggled when using the folbe holders in my buddies boat. I’m sure you just have to get used to them. My new/used boat came with a couple of the 3 rod tree mounts. I also had 2 of the extensions with quick draw holders for rigging in the front of my boat. Scotty also seemS like they are a bit easier on the wallet.

Cody Meyers

Folbe is my favorite over what I’ve had. I have had Scotty, Big Als, and Monster rod holders.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Long time Folbe Fan.

catmando
    wis

Just came back from Algoma,have Ram and Scotty, was a nervous Nelly the whole time with Dipsy rods, going to start looking, I want extensions but rods should be level or tipped down, need strength.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Driftmaster

Makes the rest seem like plastic garbage…even though the scotty are strong enough for *most applications.

They also take up less space and you get to keep the rod butts out of the boat.

Trolling rods tend to have long butts. Scotty rod holders, those butts are 100% inside the boat. Driftmaster, you put the butt in the holder and the reel is outside the boat. A 10′ rod is actually 10′. Whereas a 10′ rod in a scotty is about 8’6″.

Reef W

I really like my Folbe holders but I think everybody else who’s ever used then in my boat hates them because they refuse to take the rod out properly. Personally I like knowing that it’s secured no matter what happens until I take them out and have no problem with them opening.

catmando
    wis

Are the Folbe jr’s that much smaller than the Seniors? I use ugly Stick big water rods for the Dipsy and War Rods for Sturgeon, pretty big sticks. Just never seen them in person thanks. Dan. Going CK out the Driftmaster duo pro’s also.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.