Rod Holders

• James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Adjustable tube type vs drift or monster style rod holders.

Again looking for input from you guys from your experiences.

I have leaned towards the monster style rod holders because I trust them and have not ever heard of a lost rod from one.

However James brings up a great point on how these adjustable tube style do not allow the rod buts to hang over into the cockpit.

Do these tube style rod holders truly hold the rods safely? Never used one other then home made pvc pipe ones.

Don’t want to lose a rod while trolling if I get a snag or ornery fish.

Thank you for your input from your experiences.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Depends what I am fishing for, but I tend to fish for cats and sturgeon the most so I use the monster style rod holders.

It’s also easier for my kids to remove a rod from a monster style rod holder, on the tube style they have to reach out over the gunnel.

I typically use the tube style when I’m rigging for walleye, crappie fishing or when I just need a place to stash a rod out of the way.

Ryan

walleyewizard

No experience with the tube style, but initially had Ram’s and switched to Folbe’s. It was difficult to get the rod out of the holder at times with the Ram mount. Folbe’s are heavy duty and rod removal is easy with a simple lift.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Do these tube style rod holders truly hold the rods safely? Never used one other then home made pvc pipe ones.

Yes. I not only traveled over 1000 miles on Superior, I’ve probab trolled 100s of miles as well without a single concern of losing a rod. Not even close. Good quality metal rod holders are well worth it in the long run. Just need to periodically check to make sure nothing gets loose. Lost a rod holder in 6’ waves one time because it simply worked itself loose.

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Thank you Everyone for your replies. I find them very helpful.

Thinking a mixture of both.
    More then likely make two rod holder stands that fit into the seat braces on the rear deck for catfishing and the monster rod holders would work very well and be out of the way.

Thanks Again
    JW

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

What are the better tube style that swivel and angle?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have these and am perfectly happy with them. They don’t necessarily swivel easily but I don’t see much need to swivel during the day anyway. It usually stays how I set it before going out. If i need to swivel it takes 30 seconds.

https://www.traxstech.com/product_p/rrh-230.htm

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

I have these and am perfectly happy with them. They don’t necessarily swivel easily but I don’t see much need to swivel during the day anyway. It usually stays how I set it before going out. If i need to swivel it takes 30 seconds.

https://www.traxstech.com/product_p/rrh-230.htm

Thank You very much!
    I will be checking out the link

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.