rod for smaller spoons and smaller ripping raps

• moondog

When I am hole hopping I have two rods. one with a spoon or ripping rap and one with a tungsten jig.
    Looking a getting a different rod for smaller spoons and raps. Just wondering what rod people are using for this or would suggest buying.

curleytail

I like the Thorne Perch Sweetheart blank for purpose. I think it’s just a touch more powerful and maybe a little faster than the Fusion, but still flexes pretty well on a nice crappie or perch. Doubles as a nice walleye rod. It’s actually the walleye rod I use 95% of the time.

Tucker

onepine
    Elk River

I can build you whatever you would like. For that presentation it kinda depends on what species you are targeting. For walleye I would use a medium action fast taper carbon blank with a 6″ cork handle. For a hole hopper I would stay away from the recoil guides and go standard fly guides stating with a #3 tip working to a #10 stripper. Perch and Crappie I would use a ML fast action blank with a similar grip and guide set. Hole hoppers tend to run a little longer depending on your rod case length from 32″-36″ left rod on picture is the ML right is the M

Attachments:
    1. perch-walleye.jpg

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

This I find that the Thorne Bros Panfish Sweetheart fulfills this for me perfectly for weights from 1/32 oz to 1/8 oz. I bring the Thorne Bros Perch Sweetheart along too and it works better if the fish are aggressive or I’m fishing deeper too. Mine are 32″ custom as bait casting set ups. And I have spinning reel set ups for both as well.

On the retail side, I’ve been using St Croix Premiere ML 28″ which is replaced by the Mojo Ice series. It works just fine for me as well. I also like the Fenwick ML Techna ice 28″ as well. The rod build quality of today are great. Lots of choices that can do the job well.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Another vote for the Fusion, used it quite a bit this year with the #4 Rippin Raps and spoons from 1/8oz and smaller

bpholl
    North Metro, MN

X2 on Thornes Perch Sweatheart. This is my favorite rod to use for Walleye.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

I thought the Quick Tip was supposed to be THE small spoon and RR3 rod in the TUCR lineup. Is the Fusion that much better?

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have both, while the Quick Tip is a nice rod, the transition to the backbone is very quick

The Fusion is quite different, its more of a slower action and transition to the backbone. There are times I can visually see the bite on the tip before feeling it. This would come into play with crappies more so that walleyes

zooks

Another vote for the Perch Sweetheart

Dan Baker

I thought the Quick Tip was supposed to be THE small spoon and RR3 rod in the TUCR lineup. Is the Fusion that much better?

I personally much prefer the Fusion to the QuickTip. It is more forgiving. And I feel like I have more control over the lure.
    Dan

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thorne panfish sweetheart or perch sweetheart or dh perch pounder.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

What species are you fishing for? I’ll assume panfish.

The Fusion is basically a medium-light-power, slow-action noodle rod. It does a good job with small Raps and tiny (1/32-1/16oz) spoons for panfish. I’ve never seen it as a walleye rod, although many suggest it is.

The Perch Sweetheart is an excellent walleye rod for 1/8-1/4oz spoons. My favorite, in fact. I can’t imagine using it for panfish. The tip is too stiff for effective detecting visual bites.

The Bullwhip is another great choice for small Raps and tiny spoons. I alternate between this and the Fusion. One big advantage of the Bullwhip is that the tip is softer than the Fusion and the rod tip loads more when the lure is at rest. A loaded tip allows an anger to see an ‘up bite’ better than an unloaded tip. Crappies are often caught by detecting an up bite when the fish drifts up, takes the bait, and continues upward.

KwickStick

So what is the best usage of the Quick Tip?

catmando
    wis

I used a Thorne Brothers Quiver stick with a small Swedish Pimple and some perch belly meat caught the heck out of the perch with the setup.

curleytail

What species are you fishing for? I’ll assume panfish.

The Fusion is basically a medium-light-power, slow-action noodle rod. It does a good job with small Raps and tiny (1/32-1/16oz) spoons for panfish. I’ve never seen it as a walleye rod, although many suggest it is.

The Perch Sweetheart is an excellent walleye rod for 1/8-1/4oz spoons. My favorite, in fact. I can’t imagine using it for panfish. The tip is too stiff for effective detecting visual bites.

The Bullwhip is another great choice for small Raps and tiny spoons. I alternate between this and the Fusion. One big advantage of the Bullwhip is that the tip is softer than the Fusion and the rod tip loads more when the lure is at rest. A loaded tip allows an anger to see an ‘up bite’ better than an unloaded tip. <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Crappies are often caught by detecting an up bite when the fish drifts up, takes the bait, and continues upward.

I agree – the Perch Sweetheart is pretty much completely a feel rod. In my mind graphite rods should be feel rods and glass rods are better suited to visually seeing the bite.

The perch Sweetheart is a littme heavy for 6 inch bluegills but I think is light enough for good size crappies, perch, or bigger bluegills. I forgot some other rods on my 1st trip out this year and used a perch sweetheart with 3 lb test and a 4mm tungsten and it worked just fine for 10 inch crappies. Even landed tiny perch, they just weren’t too sporting on it.

If going for panfish and looking for a slightly lighter rod, the DH Perch Pounder is slightly lighter in the tip with less backbone than the Perch Sweetheart.

As mentioned above the Thorne Panfish Sweetheart might be an okay rod for this too but probably gets a little mushy in the tip for my tastes with small spoons and raps.

With rods there are so many good choices that a lot boils down to primary usage and preferences.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Probably exactly this use. I had one for a season. It’s a decent rod.

KwickStick

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>KwickStick wrote:</div>

Probably exactly this use. I had one for a season. It’s a decent rod.

Thank you, Bass Thumb.

I invested in some TUCR rods and went with the Quick Tip over the Fusion mainly because I wanted a dedicated panfish spoon/RR rod. With all of the Fusion hype I was hoping I didn’t make an expensive mistake.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I’ll kind of echo what others have said. The Bullwhip is a phenomenal sight rod for panfish with a super soft tip that transitions quickly to the backbone. It might not be ideally suited to the task with RR or spoons depending on the size, as the weight of the bait might load the tip too much. A little bit is fine for detecting up bites but I’d argue that anything over a size 4 RR is too big for the Bullwhip.

The Thorne Bros Perch Sweetheart is my walleye rod and can handle larger spoons or RR just fine, but I’ve used it with success on panfish too. Like others have mentioned, it’s a graphite feel rod and can work for panfish but isn’t necessarily ideal for the smaller ones. It’s too stiff to make the fight any fun on anything but larger crappies/gills/perch. IMO it’s a perfect sauger/walleye rod unless using huge baits for big ol’ greenbacks.

KwickStick I wouldn’t worry too much; the Quick Tip is a fine rod for that application.

KwickStick

Good to know. Thanks, Steve.

Now I can go back to obsessing on my open water tackle. coffee

bigstorm
    Southern WI

My opinion is that the Quick Tip and Fusion can be used for pretty the same thing, it will come down to user preference as far as which rod they prefer regarding the action and backbone of each

tucrs
    NW Metro

My opinion is that the Quick Tip and Fusion can be used for pretty the same thing, it will come down to user preference as far as which rod they prefer regarding the action and backbone of each

Yep exactly! I use a quicktip a lot for aggressive fishing with spoons for like late season perch and a fusion for more crappies. Either one works well the for the same application. Fusion is slower action and quicktip is ultra fast.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.