rock guards

• fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

I bought a new boat yesterday(Lund adventure 1775). I’m looking at rock guards because I live on a gravel road.
    What has been the experiences of the different styles? Will be using it with my Ice castle also.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

https://www.kwikpfyt.com

I went with this brand after seeing the video on their website about how rocks bounce around at the back end of the vehicle.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Netguy, curious do you have dual exhaust out the back like a Ram? I looked at there site and might be interested as they are veteran owned. However they don’t do a cut out they have a exhaust manifold built in and I’m not sure about it.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Netguy, curious do you have dual exhaust out the back like a Ram? I looked at there site and might be interested as they are veteran owned. However they don’t do a cut out they have a exhaust manifold built in and I’m not sure about it.

Easy solution for rock guards and exhaust…

Buy electric trucks.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Rock Tamers.

-J.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Netguy, curious do you have dual exhaust out the back like a Ram?

No, my truck, 1500 Silverado, has a single exhaust pointed down and out.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Easy solution for rock guards and exhaust…

Buy electric trucks.

Not for this guy yet, maybe not ever. Commuter car sure.

Ripjiggen

IMO go with brushes vs rubber or plastic flaps. Rocks bounce of them to the ground and bounce back up IMO. Brushes collect more rocks and sand and dapper the ricochet affect much better. IMO.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

IMO go with brushes vs rubber or plastic flaps. Rocks bounce of them to the ground and bounce back up IMO. Brushes collect more rocks and sand and dapper the ricochet affect much better. IMO.

The company Netguy tossed out there has a hard rubber mat with Astro turf on the back side to collect stuff. Wondering how good that works out. The company is in Coon Rapids so not far from me, might just go check it out and talk to them.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The company Netguy tossed out there has a hard rubber mat with Astro turf on the back side to collect stuff. Wondering how good that works out. The company is in Coon Rapids so not far from me, might just go check it out and talk to them.
    [/quote]

I just ordered those for my new truck. I have rock tammers for sale now, I will post them here later on. I never noticed rocks bouncing down off them and back up to my boat, or ice house, nor on to my wheelers when trailered with the hard plastic ones. And my boat, shacks, and wheelrs never got beat up so not so sure on that conclusion. Adjust them so they are almost dragging and you’ll be golden. I would have kept my tammers but they didn’t fit new 2.5 inch hitch

Coletrain27

Made my own similar to rock tamers

Attachments:
    1. 366E0447-E15B-4068-8C67-C22A817645A8.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Made my own similar to rock tamers

Do you have any closer pictures so I can see how you built it ?

Coletrain27

Yep

Attachments:
    1. F8773314-2DF3-4959-B99F-3999C763E412-scaled.jpeg

2. 63E37722-797B-47C0-BE72-75437D718ED7-scaled.jpeg

Nodakk

I would not recommend using a brush style rock guard like Towtector if you have a truck with dual exhaust. I ended up returning my Towtector (kudos to them for taking it back) after one month of use. Even with the new dual exhaust design, I was still melting the brushes together resulting in little protection for the trailer. This was however in the winter so maybe it’s different in the summer..

Karry Kyllo

I would not recommend using a brush style rock guard like Towtector if you have a truck with dual exhaust. I ended up returning my Towtector (kudos to them for taking it back) after one month of use. Even with the new dual exhaust design, I was still melting the brushes together resulting in little protection for the trailer. This was however in the winter so maybe it’s different in the summer..

I’ve been using a Towtector for 5 years or so on on my dual exhaust RAM and I’ve never had any issues at all.

Reef W

I’ve been using a Towtector for 5 years or so on on my dual exhaust RAM and I’ve never had any issues at all.

I’ve also only kind of melted a couple loose strands that blow over the cutouts, nothing that would affect performance at all.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Put a heat shield on where the exhaust cut out comes out. It’s pretty simple and the first thing they tell you to Do.

Karry Kyllo

Yes, just like the attached photo.

Attachments:
    1. close-rear-with-outlets__21261.1506638795.1280.1280__48188.1509032037.1280.1280__17982.jpg

AK Guy

Have you noticed a difference with mpg with brushes vs rubber?

Ripjiggen

^^^never tested with same truck, but you are towing a boat. So most likely sucks anyway. jester

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Because I basically destroyed my TowTector by leaving them on in the winter for pulling my regular trailer. I am going to check out the Kwik Pfyt brand as I now need a new one. I agree with the premise behind brush style for summer use. I have Rock Tamers for pulling my ice house, more interested in keeping the slush off.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I take mine off after duck hunting for winter. I figured collecting slush and freezing wouldn’t be good for it. I have a covered snowmobile trailer so don’t really need it.

deertracker

I take mine off after duck hunting for winter. I figured collecting slush and freezing wouldn’t be good for it. I have a covered snowmobile trailer so don’t really need it.

This is why I really like my Rock Tamers. They can be used all seasons without issue.
    DT

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.