Zumbro

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I did an open water shore shot on the Zumbro today. Mixed results on crappies and a smallie. The smallie was real nice.

I fished on the Fisherman’s Inn end of the lake and found the ice in front of the restruant pretty well shot. Ice can still be seen back in the bays though.

The fishing wasn’t what one could call hot, but it was open water fishing none the less.

Paddletail grubs were the bait today when fished on a 1/32 head. With the lake being about 3 1/2 or so feet above the normal water mark, it was odd to find the fish at about 2 feet of depth. I was actually seeing some nice crappies picking bugs or something off the surface. Some of these high rises had their backs completely out of the water.

There’s enough open water for a boat, but there’s also a lot of trash in the water and with the water being over the limit for the no wake, it would be in effect even if the signs on the pontoons are not out.

There is still a bunch of current. The water levels are coming down, but the current is really something in places where you can access the open water. In a week we will see much better fishing potential out there.

Swans, sandhill cranes and cedar waxwings were noted out at the lake today and a lake resident also has seen flocks of the swans and cranes in recent days so spring must have sprung.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Tommy. Thanks for the post on Lake Zumbro. There is a no wake status on the lake but for some reason the gate at Sandy Point is locked. They like to claim that the closed gate is because of the no wake but a no wake doesn’t mean boats can’t be on the water as long as its trolling speed only. The water is 1.95 feet above where they want to have it be at the moment. Sure can’t wait to get on the lake in a boat. Its been wayyyyyyyyyy to long. Trolling speed is just fine with me and my back.
    Thanks, Bill

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The lake is only open on the upper end and there is a ton of trash in the water. And trolling is not going to put fish in the boat right now.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

The lake is only open on the upper end and there is a ton of trash in the water. And trolling is not going to put fish in the boat right now.

No Tommy trolling won’t get you any fish right now but trolling speed will get you from the boat ramp to where there might be some fish. In a no wake status only trolling speed is allowed. Boy, its been a long winter and this guy wants to get out in a boat even if it was just sitting in the middle of the lake. Been wayyyy to long. Had a very short year last year with the knee surgery and recovery period so I’m really biting at the bit so to speak to get out.

I drove out to check on the lake today and from Fishermans Inn I could see open water as far down river as I could see. I then drove over to Postiers Point and it was open there too and the open water wrapping around going to the entry way of Ryans Bay area. Theres still some ice along with open areas mixed in from there to the dam. The big bay at the end of Postiers Point was frozen still. Getting back to Fishermans Inn there were still guys out there ice fishing in the bay. They use planks and a platform to get on the ice due to the ice near shore has melted. Its getting closer every day to open water season.
    Thanks, Bill

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Well Bill and Tom this is promising news! I am looking forward to getting on Zumbro with a boat too and your posts are music to my ears. I didn’t realize the ice would be gone so soon

Chris

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ll confirm more in the morning.

flatoutally
    MN

Looks like it’s back to No Wake this morning…..

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

ct, how’s it looking down by the dam? Is the ice out of the public ramp yet?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Ice is gone Doug, but the landing is chked with trees.logs and trash real bad.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Looks like it’s back to No Wake this morning…..

I just checked the sheriff’s site and yes, the No Wake status remains. The lake is 9/10′ above the limit. I didn’t see any rafts out this morning but then not much boat activity is taking place and I’d imagine the rsidents who help with the launching of the floats wouldn’t even have boats in the drink yet.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Crappies hit this morning before the sun cleared the hilltops. Nothing huge with most being in the 10-1/2 inch range.

Smallies were happy today. I got 5 in about 15 minutes with one rolling in at around 18 inches.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I had the boat out today with some success. I launched Fisherman’s and the closer I got to rattlesnake, the more crap I found in the water… lumber, tree stuff and some limbs. Gotta be careful.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Thanks for the updates CT! Are there any loons on the lake? I miss seeing them about this time each year.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Frank just sent me some pics of the Pondy ramp and its good to go. Apparently the wind did some good out there today.

The morning bite wasn’t bad today. Some were nice fish.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

You guys are making me eat my heart out so to speak. Am hoping to get out on Zumbro Friday or Saturday.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Are there any loons on the lake? I miss seeing them about this time each year.

There were a few out there a while ago. I saw three one morning. I haven’t seen any of late though.

I was fishing this morning for a few hours and had pretty decent luck for a c/r day. Some nice, nice sunnies showed up for me finally. Crappies have yet to come in on the real nice side though. 12…12 1/2 tops thus far.

Someone asked about muskies. This morning I had one chase a sunnie as I brought it in. The ski wasn’t large, maybe 24-26 inches, but definitely a muskie. Yesterday it was a northern that bothered me and that guy was definitely hefty, maybe 38 inches and thick. I hate it when they swim right up high in the water and then stop and stare at you for a second before turning and swimming off…..that’s what this pike did. It has a huge scar across its face and snout.

What I’m seeing out there right now is pretty typical early spring fishing. Today the trick was to find A fish, then you’d find a few of them together. You maybe had to work along another 200 yards before you’d bump into another pod. Some were on wood next to deeper water, some were in deep water.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

All the wind and chill have taken a bite out of the water temps. Today the surface was at 46 degrees and at 10 feet the water has given up two degrees. This will slide the progress backwards a bit.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

not trying to get spots off of you but i have only seen one muskie in the entire lake and that was in ryan’s bay last year around muskie opener. i’ve caught plenty in the river but can’t get my boat in down there so if u might give me any other good ideas i’d appreciate it. if not see ya out there in june

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

One never knows where a muskie will pop up on the Zumbro. They really seem to be a random event in spite of having been stocked. They do seem to prefer the river below the dam as you suggest, but they are not only found downstream….they also go upstream and the DNR have tracked tagged fish almost to the Silver Lake dam. I have seen one muski in this area this spring too. They move around.

I haven’t seen a “big” muskie in Lake Zumbro, nor up in the area of the SL dam. Below the power seems to be your best best for a decent one. I know between Zumbro Falls and Hammond is a popular area for people snooping them out. I think one around 49 inches was taken a year or two ago.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

yea it seems they like the river for some reason. i’ve seen 50 inchers and caught a 46 down there but i like to fish from my big boat and plus there are so many crappie in the lake and it seems like that is almost always number 1 on the muskie menu. thanks for the advice and see you on the water

coletrain01
    Rochester MN

fished yesterday and it was pretty slow. i think the crappies are still staying in the deeper water. had a kid on a red and white jet ski flying all around the lake making 4′ waves while pulling other kids on 2 tubes with no spotter. as i was heading back to the public ramp he decided to cut me off and turn around right in front of me while pulling the tubes! what are these parents thinking?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.