Catfishing the Zumbro

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Wondering what presentation guys are having the most success with? Anyone else targeting catfish out there? Cutbait? What kinds?

Thanks,

Joel

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I haven’t fished there but there was just a post on the cat forum. A couple dead fatheads and a dead stick with the same was the consensus.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Some people will use a cut bait. Sucker minnows frozen at the bait shop are often bought and cut up to use. My experience has been to simply go crappie fishing and use minnows, but waxies get cats there too.

Lots of areas to check for them. The just outside of two small bays downstream and on the left from Fishermans Inn are often targeted. Both Rattlesnake and the High Banks see cat activity. The deep shore downstream from Ryan’s Bay gives a few up on occasion as well.

I’ll see several cats over the course of a winter as incidental fish…I don’t target them though. Give me a call if you are heading out.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Some people will use a cut bait. Sucker minnows frozen at the bait shop are often bought and cut up to use. My experience has been to simply go crappie fishing and use minnows, but waxies get cats there too.

Lots of areas to check for them. The just outside of two small bays downstream and on the left from Fishermans Inn are often targeted. Both Rattlesnake and the High Banks see cat activity. The deep shore downstream from Ryan’s Bay gives a few up on occasion as well.

I’ll see several cats over the course of a winter as incidental fish…I don’t target them though. Give me a call if you are heading out.

Will-do Tom! Thinking about it this weekend.

Joel

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

You should be able to drive out now. Trucks have been seen the whole length of the lake and if you go out of Fishermans you’ll be able to fish almost immediately…that first bay will only be a block or so in the direction you’ll be traveling.

Just a reminder….when you leave the ramp at Fishermans DO NOT GO RIGHT! There is current off the point to your right {where the public fishing dock is seen] and that channel is the absolute last place to freeze and the first to re-open when we get warm again. Drive straight out on the lake and follow the established tracks….you’ll be fine.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I agree with Tom. Like he mentioned on the outside of the 2 small bays. My biggest vote for a spot would be just outside of the 2nd small bay down from Fishermans Inn. Good luck and let us know how you do.
    Thanks, Bill

Crickschop04

I’d just follow around the guy with the electric yellow hat! Also a good way to find where the crappies are biting.

and no, Thank you Bill

Dufek

If you went out already I’m gonna guess you got skunked. The few cats to be had mid winter are spread out in deep water.

Ps: so this is where everyone hangs out What the heck are fish bucks?

mark winkels

Quote:

If you went out already I’m gonna guess you got skunked. The few cats to be had mid winter are spread out in deep water.

Ps: so this is where everyone hangs out What the heck are fish bucks?

Welcome!

It has been pretty dead at that other place. I believe fish bucks are used to pay for classifieds. I am sure you can use them for other things as well but I could not tell you what else. I am sure someone will chime in on it.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Never took a stab at the cats, fished panfish with the kids and did fairly well. Was fun!

Joel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.