Ice Conditions

• G-raff
    Rochester, MN

Just wondering with this weather coming up this week, if anyone is getting nervous about ice conditions around here. I have a Perm. out on Zumbro and am thinking about pulling it off, or do you guys think it will be alright for a couple more weeks? Thanks for and input in advance.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I would think that the night temps would help salvage the ice ,but being you are from the area I would do a every other day check to be sure.
    I havent been on the ice for about a week so I can say what it is like now

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

On Friday I taped 19 inches where I’d normally see about 9 at this time of year. The ice further down the lake…ratlesnake, high banks, etc….is in great shape. As long as the perm is off the ice enough to prevent freeze-down, you’ll be fine.

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

I been a bit concerned about how the ice will be at the base of the ramps. Might be a little wet? I am gonna get my perm off tonight.

If you haven’t moved yours maybe move it 20 feet one way or the other. There is good ice all over. Really thick! Get on top of some new ice. Ice under a perm that’s been out there a while don’t get any thicker than it was when it was first set out.

Anybody have any break ins out there. My one friend who’s only 100 feet away got his door smashed in. Luckily he didn’t leave anything in there for them to steal.

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Gotta think that the ice is gonna take a beating this week between the temps and the rain. Taped 24″ on Mazaska yesterday, which surprised me…but right on about ramps…gonna be puddles.

As for break-ins…I’ve often thought about just leaving the door unlocked to my shack on the lake…much easier shoveling out snow and critters than replacing a door….HOpe I don’t ever have to deal with it

D

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

Well, I got the shack off the lake. Very wet out there! Standing water all around the fish house. I believe that with this warm up and some more rain it’s only gonna get worse. Granted we still have great ice out there, but it’s just really wet and sloppy right now.

Both Ponderosa and Grandpa Ed’s ramps were still good and solid at the bottom. Better to be safe than sorry though right?

minnesotsakid
    ROCHESTER

IS THERE STILL ALOT OF SHACKS OUT THERE?

greenkingfisher

barely got off the ice at fihermans inn 20+ shacks out there still 6-8inches of water on the ice not sure every one will get their houses off this year because its not looking to good ice with water on it is very slippery…

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

Ya, there is still some out there. But last night there was a steady stream of them leaving. Goin slow. As a matter of fact I had to hitch up to a guy who was stuck at the top of the ramp at Ponderosa. Dragging a skid type shack and just lost traction.

I’d say I saw probably 30 perms still out there. Rumors at the access were the DNR is telling people to remove them. Now I don’t know if it’s true or not. Like I say rumors is all.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The lake has come up 1.2+ feet since 7 this morning. The ramps might take a hit on good ice if this continues. Lots of water in ditches and literal rivers of run-off in fields last night will add to the headaches for a few days yet.

G-raff
    Rochester, MN

The ramps suck. Fishermans inn is inacessaible. I went out of grampas ed and there was 3-4 feet of water on the shore. It was not good at all. It was the most nervous I have ever been on the ice. If you got one out there, good luck getting it off there.

wing_nutt3

It’s a good thing i got trusty graff to go get the house off the ice

It sounds like it was a pleasant experience.

ikeslayer
    Rochester, mn, Usa, Earth

any knew news on ice conditons? is the problem just getting on and off or is the integrity of the ice weak?

G-raff
    Rochester, MN

The problem is just getting on and off the ice. I was out on chester woods today and it is tricky getting off of shore, but once you are out there the ice is fine. Just look out for bad spots next to the trees. Everywhere I drilled today there was at least 12-15 solid inches.

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Say,
    That shirt looks kinda familiar. Weren’t you in FMC for a couple of months for a summer a few years ago? We have got to hook up some time for some fishing up at the pond . We could stay at my shack.

G-raff
    Rochester, MN

yep, thats me. I am actually heading up there tomorrow for sunday and monday. We are staying in a shack out of Barnacles. you should let me know when you are headed up there. otherwise we should hit some water around here.

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Sounds good. Sorry about delay , working in Marshall during the week. I am thinking about heading up a weekend in March . I lost your number . Call me at my home phone in P.I. Might be under TJ

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.