3-13 Mississippi Backwaters

• hof
    Rochester, MN

I had a chance to get out ice fishing today. Not a bad day with the temp at 55 degrees and little wind. I headed to the Kellogg area in the Mississippi backwaters. The ice was still in good shape, but lots of slush on top of it in places. Waterproof boots are a must! The fishing was pretty decent and I had no problem getting a meal. Don’t know how many more times I’ll get out on the ice yet this season, but we have certainly moved into late season ice – and the fish are biting! Largest crappie was about 13 inches and gills were about 8 inches.

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

Nice fish Mike, must have been a great day on the ice.

bigschtik
    Byron MN

I saw you out there today Mike. What did you get the crappies on? I picked up some HOF waxies that did well on the gills but no craps..

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I saw you out there today Mike. What did you get the crappies on? I picked up some HOF waxies that did well on the gills but no craps..

Larger profile plastics like a tube jig.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Playing hooky huh. Sounds like fun. Anybody know if the ice is still good at Pontoon Slough between Wabasha and Kellogg and if the fish are biting?
    Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

I scouted the area and there were people on the ice at all the community spots including Pontoon Sleugh. There is still a lot of ice in the backwaters.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Mike. I wouldn’t mind one more trip there for ice fishing but don’t know if that will happen or not. I have Makenzie both days this weekend as Nate will be in Spring Valley and Jessie works so my entertainment this weekend will be the Wiggles, Elmo and Barney. But thats alright, we have a blast together and I love being with her. When shes alittle older she will be a good little fishing buddy. She loves touching and holding fishing rods already at only 17 months old. Nate say he will have her on the water this summer already plus swimming lessions. This little gal is going to be brought up right.
    Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Yep, I think Makenzie will be quite the fishing girl!

Crickschop04

I’m heading down to the backwaters tonight to see what I can scare up. Mike were you tipping your plastics with anything??? Was it pretty crowded down there? Seems like there would be quite a few people taking advantage of the extended light.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I’m heading down to the backwaters tonight to see what I can scare up. Mike were you tipping your plastics with anything??? Was it pretty crowded down there? Seems like there would be quite a few people taking advantage of the extended light.

Nope, no tipping. There were a lot of people out in a variety of areas. Lots of fish being caught!

Crickschop04

Mike- Interested in joining me this afternoon?

hof
    Rochester, MN

I’m already back from today’s trip. The 2 places that had lots of people on Tuesday were not fishable today. The Wabasha marina and Pontoon Sleugh both are still fishable, but several others are not.

Crickschop04

Was the marina packed? Maybe thats where I’ll head.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Was the marina packed? Maybe thats where I’ll head.

Not packed, maybe 12 people. Some were fishing northerns with tip-ups. Lots of smaller panfish being caught.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.