Silver Creek Res.

• gregh
    s.e. minn

This post goes out to the BONEHEAD that cut the gate open today!! Thanks for making it harder for everybody else and for the future fishing possibilities out their!!He did it so “he could drag his gear to the lake” Plus it was right in front of my buddy and his son!!! Good example of an outdoorsmen MEATHEAD!!!

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

This is the type of thing that gives good people a bad name.
    Hope that bonehead gets a ticket.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Lets see…trespassing on private property [land], breaking and entry [broke the chain/lock on the fence and entered] illegal entry, and criminal damage to private property. He could do some good jail time and big fines if someone called the police and told them what happened. All it takes is illegal actions like this and the landowners have a real good case why we anglers shouldn’t be allowed there. It sure could ruin it for all of us anglers just by the actions of one person.
    Thanks, Bill

Bighorn
    outside Rochester, MN

So after watching said “bonehead/meathead” cut the chain on the gate, I decided to go up and talk to the guy just to the north of the dam. He told me the gate was open last week because someone cut the lock. He told me he likes to fish in the summer and didn’t really seem to have a problem with the people icefishing. He said he had opened the gate at one point but was told by the sheriff he had to lock it, as he was allowing people to trespass. He didn’t seem to have a very good understanding of why the gate needed to be locked, but I think was just following what the sheriff had told him.

Yes, they were ticketing vehicles parked in front of the gate on Cty 11, so look out. Seems like they probably should as the road is posted now and wasn’t the safest situation.

Anyhow, we did make it out and caught a few.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

It still makes ALL fishermen look bad and gives people who don’t want fishermen out there a weapon to use against us fishermen. We ALL need to behave or we will never gain this body of water to fish on/at.
    Thanks, Bill

minnesotsakid
    ROCHESTER

so the only way to fish it is to get dropped off then? thanx, duke.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

AND not walk on any land. You have to enter by the creek and may still be pushing it legally. Our best chance of ever getting it to be opened up is to stay away from there completely because it still angers the land owners to see people out there fishing. We need to give them a cooling off period [by staying away from there completely] so we have a chance to accomplish the goal of getting it opened up to the public. Lets stay away and hope we can get it opened up. In other words, please stay away so maybe it might be opened up for next years ice fishing season as there is pressure now already to try gain legal access. Fishing there now only hurts our chances of gaining permanent legal access.
    Thanks, Bill

sbr_it

I totally agree with you Bill.
    Just a side question though:

It seems this issue only comes up during hard water season. Do people just not fish it during open water? Just asking because it seems like you never hear these issues during the summer times?

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I totally agree with you Bill.
    Just a side question though:

It seems this issue only comes up during hard water season. Do people just not fish it during open water? Just asking because it seems like you never hear these issues during the summer times?

Yes it does get some fishing in open water. You need a small boat or canoe to come in from the creek crossing.

sbr_it

Well if their weren’t enough people out there before I’m sure it will get even more traffic now. Check out today’s Post-Bulletin with a guy holding a 41″ 20# pike taken out of the reservior.

Crickschop04

Wow!!! I can’t believe that the PB would post something like that!!! They are usually such fence sitters on these controversial issues. That’s kinda like an advertisement for fishing out there. Maybe they’ll print a follow up with an angler holding up there parking ticket or towing bill.

Bighorn
    outside Rochester, MN

I saw that fish when I was out there on Saturday afternoon and told the group looking at it to keep it quiet. Of course the guy who caught it was pretty excited and you don’t get your picture in the paper everyday with a fish like that, so I don’t know that I can blame him.

I’m not sure that abandoning the lake all together is the answer. I have talked to a number of people who live out there and they don’t have a problem with the fishing. I think it’s a few loud voices that are against the fishing. On the other hand, if people continue cutting locks, leaving trash and parking illegally the case is not being made for how responsible we will be if allowed to fish there.

There are places to park, you may have to walk a bit but you probably need to anyhow. You will however need to “trespass” for a few yards. If we all just stop fishing there, there is no issue to resolve.

just my thoughts………

Bighorn
    outside Rochester, MN

Sorry, I spoke too soon. I just looked at the PB and that Northern was caught on Sunday by a different person. I saw the same size fish landed by a guy and his grandson, so I guess he did keep it quiet, or at least out of the paper.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

I keep having people ask me if I’ve fished it yet because they hear of some nice fish coming out of there…. I keep telling them no….hmmm maybe just one time??? No, fight the urge Chris, fight it!

hof
    Rochester, MN

That was quite a nice northern! I wonder if it was released? Not very many bodies of water around Rochester have that size of northerns. Lake Zumbro is the only one that comes to mind as a possibility of getting that size of a fish.

spence
    southern mn

Not that this is the best time to ask, , but I’ve been meaning to fish the SC Res. for a while now and was wondering where is the best place to park? I’m new to the Roch area so I need some help.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Spence….Starting at the gate on county 11, go south until you come to co.rd.9. Take a right and foloow it to the corner of 3rd Ave.SE and the road you are on. In the NE corner of the intersection is a big stone building. Go in the main entry to your left, hang a left go up the stairs , staying to your left and ask where to park at the first counter.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Hmmm….That sounds like directions to the government center to me. But that WOULD be an excellent place to ask. The directions you gave was to the records office of the police department though. Isn’t this a county matter? The more inquiries they get from us the better IMO.

bigschtik
    Byron MN

Good stuff CT!!

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Spence….Starting at the gate on county 11, go south until you come to co.rd.9. Take a right and foloow it to the corner of 3rd Ave.SE and the road you are on. In the NE corner of the intersection is a big stone building. Go in the main entry to your left, hang a left go up the stairs , staying to your left and ask where to park at the first counter.

Somehow I don’t think this would help…….

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

CNR pretty familiar with the area he is giving directions to are ya haha

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

C/R…You may be right. You might have to go to the counter to the right when you get to the top of the stairs.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

CNR pretty familiar with the area he is giving directions to are ya haha

heheh Maybe just a lucky guess

spence
    southern mn

Yeah, thanks a lot. Good lookin out, glad to see you could help a guy out.

hof
    Rochester, MN

I guess it didn’t come through from the previous posts, but the point being made is that we are not recommending anyone fish there. Parking is a problem and if you really want to do it, you will need to park about 1/2 mile away from the gate where it is not posted with “no parking” signs.

There are lots of other bodies of water to fish that do not have all these legal issues. If you want to fish a similar reservoir, try KR7 on 19th St. NW. The parking lot is just past 60th Ave. on the right side.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Spense, like Mike [HOF] said this body of water has been a ”hot problem” so to speak with the land owners who don’t want anglers trespassing on their propety to gain entrance to the lake. Theres alot of legal issues that need to be addressed first to see if we can legally fish it or not. The township and landowners don’t want anglers there.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.