Chesterwoods @ night

• Crickschop04

I’m hoping to get out to Chesterwoods either Wed. Thurs, or Fri Evening. Is anyone else going to be out there any of those nights, and those of you who have been out there recently, where is the better ice? I haven’t been out there all year so I haven’t had a chance to see the ice, and would like to stay away from the sketchy areas since it’ll probably be a solo trip.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

well being that you havent been out during the day to check out the ice and such, it doesnt sound like a smart idea to be going out in the dark on ice you havent checked lately. even with all this cold weather i still wouldnt trust much ice around here.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

I agree with HookNfinger 100% that if you can’t check it out in daylight, night time is a bad time to go solo. My recent trips out there have shown some good ice from the shoreline out accross the first leg. Like HOF says, you want to stay away from the wood (very close anyway) since it will absorb heat. At night you won’t be able to see the open water that is out there and although the open water is way out there since you haven’t been out there yet I wouldn’t venture much. I have caught bass, gills, and crappie a couple of hundred yards out from the landing this year which is probably ‘safe’ ice. There is a permanent out there right now so if you go beyond that you’ve gone too far in my opinion. Going to the Mille Lacs GTG this weekend or I’d be out there too. Good luck and be safe.

One more thing… Travel as light as possible!! The powdery snow on the glare ice is really tough to walk on unless you have some aggressive cleats (which I don’t). My toes were numb after my drag back to the landing Sunday night.

Chris

tyler_holm
    Rochester, MN

Cricks,

I’ll be venturing out on Weds evening if you want to join. There will be a few of us going.

Crickschop04

I was really just looking for any spots to really look out for, or if anyone else was planning on being out there this week. I don’t like the feeling of being on ice and not being able to see anyone else. Makes me feel like I shouldn’t be there. I would be getting there before dark, and would be checking with a spud. Just looking for a “don’t go ….” or a “the ice was bad over…” Thanks though, and I think I’ll wait maybe till the weekend. Thanks anyway Tyler.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.