SE MN ICE Conditions – Ice Fishin Season Part 2

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Colder temps are now upon us. Even colder temps are coming. All this means more ice for us ice fisherpeople. Please post any and all ice thickness reports here. Its not everyday we get two ice fishing seasons so lets all catch some fish as the ice gets thicker. Can we say FISH ON!!!.
    Thanks, Bill

the_grump
    Le Center

I was checking lakes monday afternoon, north of Mankato, Southern Le Sueur Co. most lakes had large spots of open water. This could get very dangerous if we get even a 1/2″ of snow to hide the new ice. Ice could be 6″ in one spot and 1″ a few yards away. But atleast were heading in the right direction.

Crankbait

Anyone care to wager a guess as to when we might be able to start thinking about the Zum? Late next week or next spring?
    Chris

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The Zumbro is a dangerous lake for ice. It has been largely open this year from the head of the lake to the far shoreline at fishermans. If we get night time lows in the single digits for 5-6 days with daytime highs not exceeding the 25 degree mark, the lower lake should be approachable by FOOT. 10-12 days of the same weather for any sort of fun machine travel and I would not drive on any ice out there until it has reached 15 inches.

hof
    Rochester, MN

With the lows we have in the forcast for the next several days, I would guess that the ice fishermen will be out this weekend. Hopefully we will have some reports on the individual bodies of water around town soon.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Chester Woods is setting up nicely….again. The shoreline ice allows you to access the reservoir once again and the fish are cooperating. MrMuskie a.k.a. Doug and I went out last night and didn’t travel too far out (maybe 200 yards or so ) and got into some fish. Some blue gills and crappie including a 9.5″ Bull. There were a couple of other guys that went past us so hopefully the ice was better than we thought it would be. It was VERY windy and a guy could have used his one man to sail around the lake if he wanted to…but it made the drag back to the truck totally effortless. I think by this weekend we’re gonna be rockin’ again .

Chris

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Two Words for Ya:

MAKIN’ ICE!!!!!

eyebuster
    Duluth

Was out on Fosters this morning and I stayed pretty close to the landing as I was only on 2-3 inches of Ice. It was my first time there and I did not want to press my luck.

Went to Chester woods tonight and the Ice was pretty good saw 6+ Alot of open water on the south side and by the beech!

Fishing was terrible for me atleast!!

Nice meeting you today Mike(HOF) Look forward to comming in more often

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Eyebuster,

Nice to meet you too!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

hof
    Rochester, MN

I drove out to Lake Zumbro yesterday to see if any tracks were leading onto the ice. There is nothing by Fisherman’s Inn. Went over to Grandpa Ed’s and saw many tracks going out onto the lake. This should not be viewed as an endorsement that the ice is safe – just reporting what I observed.

STELZ

Anyone got an update on ice up there??
    I am gonna take a group of students out fishiong tomorrow afternoon and wanted to amke sure it was safe..
    we were thinking of walking out acrossed from the ponderosa..
    anyone got any updates on conditions…

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

They had a golf tourney canceled on the ice at ED’s last weekend so the tracks may be from that activity . Also regarding the ice there…I spoke with an individual who was at the golf fling and who was on the ice with two other persons and they could HEAR the water under the ice in some spots.

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

Eight plus inches along the highbanks on Zumbro. Sled and wheeler traffic only.

STELZ

We decided to pass last weekend. but we are thinking of heading over there on friday night.. anyone have any idea how good the ice is to cross to the other side from the ponderosa..Does that bottom half freeze up better(faster) than the upper half??

thanks

Mikey

davebmork
    Hayfield Mn

Foster Arends Lake on 1-25-07 was 7 inches thick in 21 feet of water.

davebmork
    Hayfield Mn

near the middle on the south side.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.