Thursday afternoon

• Crickschop04

Looks like I’m going to head out Thursday afternoon for awhile if anyone is interested we could meet up.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have to work but sure look forward to reading your report on how you do. Be carefull and be safe.
    Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Where are you thinking of going?

Crickschop04

I’ll be heading to Wabasha area. Haven’t decided yet if I’m going to hit up the marinas or maybe Wilcox. I’m not a huge fan of the bay at Wilcox, but in the past I’ve had some luck not too far off the launch in about 5-7′.

Crickschop04

Well, I’m off I’ll report tomorrow

Crickschop04

Was slow last night. I did scrap out a few fish, but I was marking a ton that I just could not budge. I’m thinking that I need to expand my rod choices a bit. I couldn’t change lures often enough on my two rods to satisfy me. I think two more combos would be ideal. I’m just not real gifted at tying the polymer knot with that real thin fireline. Was out from 4:30 – 7:30 and threw the kitchen sink at em’ Oh well, I see a lot of time on the ice in the near future.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Thanks for the report! We should have several more areas to ice fish within a week.

Crickschop04

Nights like last night are what makes it fun. I just wish that they made a camera that you could see decent with at night so I could see how those fish down there were reacting. I have a question. We all know that fish tend to be pretty active feeders early in the morning, sometimes even before the sun comes up. What time do they turn on at, and what causes it?

hof
    Rochester, MN

I believe it usually has to do with the food chain moving shallower at low light times. The fish are affected by many other factors including fishing pressure and the weather. Some bodies of water just never seem to have a good night time bite, while others are outstanding. My point is that I don’t think there is a consistent answer to when (and if) fish start biting better at night because there are so many variables.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

A lot of the aquatic bug life that becomes food for these fish are driven by light levels. Blood worms are a good example. They seem to just disappear thru the light hours, but wait until that last half hour where shadows melt into darkness and watch that locator screen. Blood worms can be seen in such a profusion that identifying anything in their midst might be tough. Lots of the bug life acts on the available light.

Water temperature can play a part if there is current where you chose to fish.

It is not unusual for sunfish to get iffy at ands after dark, but then they can and do fire up during the night as well. Crappies’ eyes are better suited to low light feeding and may be why they are a more prevalent fish during the after-hours.

Something to consider when looking for fish during the darker hours is bottom content. Mud/muck bottoms will not generally provide near as much action as will a sand bottom.

I’d sure like to get my hands on the fish’s confirmed schedule that indicates when they plan to turn on. If I ever do, you’ll know cause I won’t be here writing this stuff. And that schedule will be kept under lock and key.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.