Report from the week

• Crickschop04

Was fortunate enough to get out a few times this week.

Tues- Headed down to the dike road and found lots of fish. Between my brother in-law and I we probably caught near forty sunnies and perch and were able to sort through them to take seven for a meal. Marmooskas and Diamond Jigs were the ticket.

Thursday- Fished the UPLR with Tyler and the boys out at Willow Creek. Pretty tough bite, but managed two sunnies and two crappies. Set up over about 15 feet and had all the fish come in at 10′. Heads off of smaller ratso’s and tipped with a techniglo tale took all of the fish.

Friday (afternoon)- Sat in the drizzle with my brother in-law down on the dike road again and it was slow. We set up right on top of 14′ and the flasher screen was full, but everything that we caught was tiny. Adam managed a few small bass other than that it was all sunnies. Just after dark I was having pretty strong lines come in at about 3’to 5′ under the ice. You guys think these were crappies? Tried marmooskas, shrimpos, and jigging spoons and couldn’t get it to bite. They seemed interested but wouldn’t take it. I think that it was partly due to not having a swivel above my jigging spoon. That thing would just not stop spinning.

Got to try out my new x-mas gift this week (Aqua View Scout). Had used them before, but I forgot how hard it was to get the camera pointed at the lure. Had a lot of fun though we had a ton of sunnies come through, one crappie, a few bass and perch, and one very interested pike. I was hoping that he’d take a swipe at the camera, but no dice. Anyways, after struggling with the camera on Tues. I went out and bought myself an AquaPod this made all the difference in the world. If you have a camera and don’t have a Aquapod GET ONE. We went from wasting 1hr. of fishing time screwing with the camera to 15 seconds well worth the $15.

Hope you all made it out too. Have a good weekend!

ron_weltzin
    Rochester, MN

Hey thanks for the report.
    Interested in your new camera. How much does the AquaView Scout sell for? What is an Aquapod and its applications?
    I am assuming you used this on the dyke road?
    Since this is the backwaters and water clarity might be an issue, how well and how far could you see.
    Do these units come with a light at the end of the lense to brighten up the picture?
    Did you hang yours sideways so you could see from the side or did you hang it straight down and watch from above?
    In other words you can see I am interested.
    Share with us your camera experience, observations, opinions please.
    I get the general feeling that the camera might replace the flasher, do you agree?

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I get the general feeling that the camera might replace the flasher, do you agree?

Ron I’ve sen this question posed before and I would prefer to have a camera instead of a flasher except for one reason and that is that you can’t see suspended fish come in with a camera. Until they come out with the camera flasher it sounds like both are in order.

ron_weltzin
    Rochester, MN

So does cameras have like a zoom feature so you can lower the lense just below the ice, find them, then zoom in?
    Or, do you pretty much have to find the level they are at and work it accordingly? How much cord do these units come with? If I am in 20 feet of water and lets say the fish are at 14, how close do if I have to lower it to accomodate a good picture?

UncleGrump
    Dodge County MN

Ron

I picked up a used camera this fall – if we (hint!) can ever get out, you’re welcome to play w/ it.

Mine has 60′ or so of cable. Most have 50′ plus from what I’ve seen on the boxes in the stores. Flasher 1st – then the camera. Cameras are still challenged at night and low light conditions.

I played w/ mine one afternoon in early Nov – off the side of a bridge over a small stream. Spotted a pod of carp clustered by the bridge pilings. Tryed using it down view and in horizantal mode – I much prefer horizantal.

The water was fairly clear – I could probally see 5-6′, but afterthat – you saw blobs. The carp paid the lens no mind – some of them were so close all you saw was scales.

Moved along the bridge toward the bank – where there was rip-rap. Had a toothy come and stare at it – head on for like 20-30 seconds – “Is that going to taste good?”, then it swam away.

My admittedly limited experience….

UG

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.