Auger blades

• gassman
    Rochester,MN. U.S

I did a stupid thing and tried sharping my blades on my hand auger.Won’t cut now, anybody in rochester sharpen those things?? bought a gas auger last weekend, thats great…thanks.

starkj25

what kind of hand auger do u have and what did u use to try and sharpen them?
    there is a hand sharpener that u can buy at fleet farm and some walmarts, but it depends how much you screwed them up, otherwise i think that it would be better just to buy a new set

gassman
    Rochester,MN. U.S

bought it at a garage sale a couple years ago, it has a blue end and say’s mora, 7” thanks

starkj25

did it work good before u sharpened it, otherwise from my experience, save your money and buy a lazer hand auger if u still want a hand auger, they are more expensive but are definetly worth it

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Mike at Hooked On Fishing has blades. He might be able to sharpen them or send them in to be sharpened.
    Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

We do take old blades on trade, but only sell new ones.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I get new blades for my Mora every year. They are like 20 bucks if memory serves. Once you install them they cut like butter.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Shorty’s/Prairie Bait in Kellog has sharpened blades for years. I think around $7 and your old blades.Razor sharp and its worth $7 just to see the place and talk to Shorty.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Nothing wrong with Shorty, but if you want brand new Mora auger blades for $13, I know of a place in Rochester……..
    and you don’t need to burn up $10 of gas!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

emover
    Malcom, IA

Just a note, when you get new blades or sharpened ones, make it a point to get the plastic cover for them. For the few bucks they cost, it will help your blades last about 3 times longer

dave

lars
    Rochester, MN

does anyone around Rochester sharpen up gas auger blades?

hof
    Rochester, MN

I don’t know of anyone. We also have new ones for most gas powered augers.

ron_weltzin
    Rochester, MN

I don’t know about you, but when I go icefishing, I don’t want to mess around and want to get to fishing ASAP. A good auger decides that. You can’t fish without drilling a hole. I have three augers, an old blue Mora, a Strikemaster hand Lazer and a Strikemaster power Lazer Mag Express. Probably use the Lazer hand auger more then anything else, unless the ice gets really deep. Each year I get brand new factory sharpened blades. Sure they cost a bit more then resharped blades. However, they are the business end and decides how fast you get to fish. Not a lot to pay for speed and dependability. I have always gone with 7 inches. Why? Well there has been times a big crappie can hardly make it through 6 inches, even some of the bigger gills are a tight fit. That and 7 inches will accommodate most walleyes. 4’s, 5’s and 6’s will cut ice faster. However, a set of razor sharp 7’s will compete. A 7 will also accommodate a transducer without crowding the hole. It is really all about the amount of time to drill a hole and get fishing.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

A person can ALWAYS use an extra pair of auger blades. Ever had a dull pair and no place to get them sharpened yet you are going back out ice fishing tomorrow. Well that extra sharp pair can save the day or weekend.
    Thanks, Bill

ron_weltzin
    Rochester, MN

Yes Bill, you make a very good point. When it comes to the business end of your auger, determining not only how fast but rather you get to fish that day or not. Don’t pinch pennies here. Having an extra set of blades like Bill says, may save the day. Either you get to fish or go home and watch golf on TV. Put the extra set in your bucket and MOST important DON’T forget the wrench to exchange them. I have a wrench tapped on the handle of all my augers and extra new blades in the bucket. Lots of money is spent on icefishing, flashers, cameras, shacks, but don’t forget the piece of equipment that gets you to use the other equipment, the auger.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Augers with sharp blades are a must. Like Ron said, it determines how much of your ”on the ice time” you get to fish. The best thing to do, and I’m even guilty of not doing this sometimes as like anyone else I like to sit still and chat with a fishin buddy, is to drill a bunch of holes in the area you want to fish. Then take your Vexilar/Marcum and drop the transducer in the hole [you are standing, don’t sit down yet, lol] to check depth and to see if there are any fish showing up. Check all the holes so you get a mental layout of the bottom and if there are fish showing up in that area. Once you determine which hole you are going to start fishing in then you can start fishing and chat. And pretty soon you will be shouting FISH ON!!!
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.