*CANCELLED* Youth Ice Fishing Contest

• hof
    Rochester, MN

The Rochester ’76 Lions Club is hosting the 8th annual Youth Ice Fishing Contest, Saturday February 11th 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. at Foster Arends Lake.

This is open to all youth 15 years and younger, and there are various age categories. You need to furnish poles and tackle. Bait is provided by HOF and holes will be predrilled.

There is a $6 fee and parental supervision is required.

Contact Dennis Nygren with questions – 288-5425 after 6:00 p.m.

Good Fishing,

Mike

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

This is a great event for the kids. I’ve taken my son every year. Can’t beat the smiles of happy kids. Thanks to the area businesses like HOF that donate bait and prizes.

mnfan
    Rochester MN

This is a great event for the kids – was out last year with my two boys & had a fun time…..good sponsors & plenty of extra activities to keep the younger ones interested. Would recommend this event, great family time!

Mother nature was more than cooperative too – 40+ degrees & the sun was shining.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Everything I have ever heard about this fishing event has been very positive. Lots of fun and fish too.
    Thanks, Bill

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Hoping to get my fishing juniors out to this gig this year, have heard nothing but GOOD things about it.

D

hof
    Rochester, MN

A picture from last year.

hof
    Rochester, MN

another

hof
    Rochester, MN

hof
    Rochester, MN

hof
    Rochester, MN

hof
    Rochester, MN

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

If I’m YOUNG at heart can I fish? Can I can I can I?

hof
    Rochester, MN

You can fish, but I think the prizes are for the truly younger folks.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Yeah Bill, you can fish, hope you like game boy’s, furrrby’s and other great young at heart things….hee hee

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Mike: You got any inside info on the status of the contest? I know a few years back they cancelled it when we only had about 8″ of ice. Some panic set in I guess on liability. With the heat and rain and sun we are having makes me wonder about feasability. Oh heck you’re probably gone to the Sport Show already.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Talked to Dennis about that the other day. Unless conditions get a lot worse, they will have it as planned.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Dang! I don’t know how this one got by me!

I’m locked in for another adventure on the 11th…otherwise I would be down there to support HOF in this outstanding cause!

Heck, I would even donate my large fish to Bill! I think if he stayed on his knees he would pass for under 15…I think.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

stayed on his knees he would pass for under 15…I think.

Maybe we both could sneak in for under 15. Just don’t let HOF get wind of this. Its our secret.

Thanks, Bill

ps. ya know Brian, it doesn’t say under how many 15s you have to be under.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

stayed on his knees he would pass for under 15…I think.

Maybe we both could sneak in for under 15. Just don’t let HOF get wind of this. Its our secret.
    Thanks, Bill

ps. ya know Brian, it doesn’t say under how many 15s you have to be under.

You guys need some serious help! Maybe if you divide your age by 4…………

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

You guys need some serious help! Maybe if you divide your age by 4…………

ALRIGHT!!!!!! I fall in the under 15 age bracket for sure now. Don’t know about Brian though.

Concerning needing some serious help. What did you expect when its like spring one day and winter the next. A person gets confused ya know which explains why you think we need to divide our ages by 4. We are just young at heart.
    Thanks, , Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Thanks, , Bill

WOW – you must need to divide by 5 if you can’t even be sure of your name!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

hof
    Rochester, MN

I am sorry to announce that the 2006 kids ice fishing contest has been cancelled. The feeling was that the ice is very slippery and the liability risk was too great. The ice is good everywhere they checked and there was at least 7 inches. They needed to make a decision today and they are sorry for any disappointment this causes.

Good Fishing,

Mike

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m dissapointed and I wasn’t even going!

’06, the winter that wasn’t….in many ways.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I was shocked when I heard they cancelled it. I think its too early yet to cancel it. There is still some good ice right now on alot of bodies of water in the Rochester area right now. And we have a week to a week and a half of cold temps coming with highs in the 20s and very low 30s and with lows in the teens and below teens predicted. And that means more ice being made. Theres more ice fishing yet to be had this winter.
    Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

WOW – you must need to divide by 5 if you can’t even be sure of your name!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

If the contest were still on I’d qualify for sure then.
    Thanks,

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I was shocked when I heard they cancelled it. I think its too early yet to cancel it. There is still some good ice right now on alot of bodies of water in the Rochester area right now. And we have a week to a week and a half of cold temps coming with highs in the 20s and very low 30s and with lows in the teens and below teens predicted. And that means more ice being made. Theres more ice fishing yet to be had this winter.
    Thanks, Bill

I agree with you Bill. Wish they had waited and made a different decision…. With the temps this week, the ice should be in the best condition it has been all winter! Time to ice some slabs!!!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

A paper salesman came in to work today and started talking about the fishing contest and when I told them it was cancelled he was shocked. Think they might change their mind and go ahead with it?
    Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

No, I think they made the decision and will stick with it. It was announced at a press conference yesterday.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Well too bad it was cancelled but got to say I’m glad now. Just got an email from school reminding me the kid has an honors band concert this Saturday. Gee I wonder when he was going to tell me!! Defending his title in the contest would have been tough as a “No Show”. Kids.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.