Lake Zumbro ice fishing

• hof
    Rochester, MN

Ron and I made a trip to Lake Zumbro today. The ice is about 5-6 inches in the places we checked. We fished just out from the handicap fishing pier near Fisherman’s Inn and also across from Ryan’s Bay along the high banks. Fishing was slooooooooooooow! We did manage a few nice gills and missed several bites. The fish were tight to the bottom and were not the least bit aggressive. We had 9 ft. by Fisherman’s and 21 ft. by the high banks. Ron used a ratso with waxie and I used an ice jig with a red spike.
    I think it was just an off day for the fishing and hopefully will be better next time. Guess that’s why they call it fishing.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

blufloyd

Howdy Mike, I won’t pretend to know that lake but i am getting that report here in Illinois as well but the real fish (crappies that is) are suspended 6 feet or less under the ice. I am using an eye bolt to hold the transducer high in hole to give me a view of as little as 1.5 feet under ice. I caught 13 good crappie today while listening all about how the fish were stuck on the bottom and only gills were biting. I know your in biz but had an interesting time with glow clear and glow pink ballsy’s from Gander today as well. Also known as popsicles etc. Thanks for your help with the striper spoons too. Ps the pink demons and frosties don’t compare at all…

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the report Bud. Things will get better. I called out to the store and Mike F. said you sneaked off fishin with Ron.
    Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Ron, how did that new Marcum work? Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Got out to Zumbro for a couple hours today. The bite was still on the slow side, but the last hour of daylight was pretty good. Got some nice gills again and this time a few nice crappies. Also got a couple big catfish! Fished by the high banks in 25 ft. Ratso’s tipped with either a red spike or a waxie seemed to work best, although crappie minnows produced 2 nice crappies.
    Hopefully the bite will continue to improve.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Playing hooky again huh?!!! And here I thought you were delivering bait today. Oh well, as long as its fishing its ok.

Everyone have a Very Merry Christmas.

Thanks, Bill

bigschtik
    Byron MN

Where do you park to fish the “highbanks” area. Never fished the lake before. Thanks

hof
    Rochester, MN

Some people park near the campground and walk or ride down. I park across the lake in Ryan’s Bay and walk over.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

fireline
    Rochester

Mike, what’s the ice conditions at the highbanks [how much ice] thanks

hof
    Rochester, MN

Conditions are still good with 6 inches of solid ice. There is a little slush on top in a few spots, but no problems that I have run into. The fish are still biting pretty well too.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

I’d say that 6″ is closer to 5″…..at least where we were

Still plenty of ice to feel comfortable walking on……just don’t be taking those DANG snowrockets out there!!!! or if you do, keep them A LONG ways away from me .

There’s open water up past Fishermans Inn as of today……

hof
    Rochester, MN

Yes, the area above Fisherman’s is never very safe and should never be trusted. There are snowmobiles and ATV’s running around, but like Jake says – keep them away from me. I think foot traffic is enough for now until the ice gets thicker.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

JWilson

What side of the lake are is the high banks on, east or west?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

On the west side.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.