Root River Questions

• FishRulerHookEM
    Chatfield,MN

Whats the best thing to use for bass for the root river? spinners,fake worms
    anything else?

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

When I was a kid i fished with my cousins Brad and Mike we fished the Root river and used worms, and spinners.They both worked.But thats been 20 years ago. I would love to go up and fish with them again.Also the Root river.

hof
    Rochester, MN

I would suggest small rapala’s, small Yo-Zuri minnow cranks or spinners.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

For spinning rods, small sinking Rapalas are great, as well as basic spinners. I’m partial to Panther Martin.

I actually was on the Root last night and caught my first smallie of the year. I was fly fishing and using small brown woolly buggers, although black buggers and any Clouser type minnow would suffice. He wasn’t a very big fish, but he was very fat (lots of bugs were hatching yesterday, as well as rain = worms). The warmer it gets, the better smallies on the Root get; their activity level will go up and they will pounce on really whatever you put in front of them. The guy I caught yesterday was holding below the riffle, so he wasn’t up in the head feeding like the trout were, but he smashed my fly pretty hard, so that’s a good sign.

The Root is elevated right now, but it is relatively clean and very fishable. In all honesty, this has been the best it’s looked in at least the last two years: good flows and decent water clarity.

Good luck to all this weekend,
    D.A.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Nightcrawler and spinner always wins!

ron_weltzin
    Rochester, MN

I would really take a hard long look at Pee Wees that Mike/HOF carries. Remember Mike what the sales rep told us?
    A very natural looking river bait for not only trout, but bass as well.

Art

I live about a mile from the Root, downstream from Chatfield. We fish it a lot. I would suggest small floating Raps. If you are new at it there will be a lot less lost tackle and they produce very well. Please remember cpr. I think you are young and just getting into fishing from your posts. If you want send me a email and will help you out. Maybe a float trip from Allen’s bridge to Moen’s bridge.
    Good luck.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.