Road trip – Idaho and Montana portion

• Tim

First off – Thank you to all who helped me get started planning in the other thread.
    We want to plan backwards since we have to be at Bear lake July 26th. So this portion of the trip starts at Montana border and runs over to Glacier Park and then down to Bear Lake (Utah/Idaho border).

The ending (Bear Lake) obviously can’t change. We will do Mt. Rushmore area after Bear Lake.

So what are some must see’s along this route? And places to avoid. We’ve been and spend time in Yellowstone but that’s about it. We will stop at Glacier Park as one stop but no nothing about it.

Also looking for someone who wants to fish along this route. Or possibly a guide. I’m not too worried about catching much but a couple local species would be nice.

Idaho Montana route

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It wasn’t clear to me….are you towing a boat on this trip?

brewerybuilder

If it was me I would be hitting Missoula, MT. Big Sky Brewing Co. Home of my favorite beer…Moose Drool!

Jake
    Brainerd

Check out Trout Hunter north of Idaho Falls in Island Park. Good food and beer in the restaurant. And some really knowledgeable guides working in the fly shop. Just spend a couple days out there after a work gig. They were really helpful even though we didn’t use a guide. Very renowned trout waters in the area. Would have loved doing a float with a guide, but we were set on wading and figuring it out on our own.

jwellsy

I would have to do a small detour to Ketchum Idaho. That’s at the base of the Sun Valley Ski Resort. Sun Valley gets talked about every year on TV.

It’s on my bucket list to go back and have dinner at the Pioneer Saloon. I’d get the local smoked trout with brie for an appetizer and their great prime rib that they will sear on an open flame grill.
    https://www.pioneersaloon.com

Also I had the best meatloaf in my life at Ketchum. Just North of town there’s an interesting place that one side was a big yurt and they served a bison lamb meatloaf wrapped in bacon and applewood smoked.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Slightly east off your route toward West Yellowstone is Island Park, ID (Henry’s Fork). Haven’t fished it, but that would be my first choice for trout fishing. From there to Big Sky to Bozeman, MT is trout central.

Jake
    Brainerd

Ketchum has some of the best trout fishing as well. Big wood river, and the famous Silver Creek. I’m sure they’re are others as well but those are the only two I’ve spent time on.

Tim

It wasn’t clear to me….are you towing a boat on this trip?

No boat

If it was me I would be hitting Missoula, MT. Big Sky Brewing Co. Home of my favorite beer…Moose Drool!

Will look. What else is there to do in this town? Better be really good beer for a few hour detour LOL.

I do not fly fish BTW.. I’ll start checking out other mentions.
    Best place to eat near Browning? We will be there a couple days. A

jwellsy

I finally found the name of that place in Ketchum with the meat loaf. It’s the Trail Creek Cabin.
    Trail Creek Cabin Meatloaf

Trail Creek Cabin is Sun Valley’s destination for romantic dining in a rustic, early-Western atmosphere. Originally built in 1937, this mountain-style log cabin-turned-restaurant sits right next to the rushing waters of Trail Creek, with a jaw-dropping view of Bald Mountain in the distance.

tswoboda

Gotta drive the going-to-the-sun road in Glacier. Many Glacier is a neat little area too. No idea on food.

East of Idaho Falls is the super touristy Jackson area. If you’re go to that area you can take the tram up to the top of the ski area. Drive the Moose-Wilson Rd at primetime and you should see a bunch of elk and mulies – maybe moose and bear.

You mentioned B&B’s in your last post. Taking you back to North Dakota, if you don’t mind a little detour there’s a neat little place out in the middle of nowhere on Sakakawea. Deepwater Bay Bed and Breakfast – I stayed there a week for work a few years ago and it was pretty cool. It’s an active cattle ranch and they cooked a big family style breakfast in the main house for the guests and ranch hands. Felt like I was in the TV show Yellowstone. It’s out of the way but 1804 is a much more scenic drive than Hwy 2.

brewerybuilder

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>brewerybuilder wrote:</div>

Will look. What else is there to do in this town? Better be really good beer for a few hour detour LOL.

I love good craft beer and have been to over 250 breweries around the world and have built several around the TC. It is my favorite beer of all time. So yes, for me it would be worth a couple hour detour because I haven’t been there yet. I do know they hold concerts there often in the summer…if that is a draw to you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.