Rippin rap.

• DrakeRoth22
    NULL

How confident are you guys using these fr fishing for walleye? Last weekend I fished a Lundy darter in the smallest size for the first time. Didn’t have any confidence in it fishing it bare. But have it a try and started hammering fish. They were slamming the urine out of it. Picked up 10 or so rippin raps in the smallest size in different colors. Wondering what your preference is and how you like to fish them.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I love my Rippin raps. I only have the ultra light size 4 but even they get the job done. I have done the best on the UV green i think its called. It looks like a small perch. Lots of nice crappies have been caught on that one and even a bass and nice perch as well. I like to give it small lifts if there are fish on the screen, That usually seems to make them curious enough to come up and take it. If theres no fish on the screen i will rip it up a foot or so a few times to try to call fish in and give it a pause and a small jigs. Then rinse and repeat. Love those things.

gbfan10
    Hastings, mn

I have been trying them on Mille Lacs, and I can’t get them to come near them. Could be my presentation, IDK

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Bass love them lol. I think if the fish are keen on the minnow profile then you can’t go wrong. Especially more subtle movements.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

The Rippin Rap is my go to for perch and walleyes. It’s the best rattle/hardbait on the market in my opinion. It’s proven itself to me time after time, fish after fish.

My favorite color is Yellow Perch. In the Dakota’s, young perch are a substantial part of a walleye/big perch diet. I’ve also had great success on the UV colors, Helsinki shad, and chrome colors.

ps0345

I have been trying them on Mille Lacs, and I can’t get them to come near them. Could be my presentation, IDK

I haven’t had any luck with RR there either. I had better luck with a Buck SHot/ Rattle spoon to bring them in. 7/10 times they would hit my dead stick.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i cant keep up. im still trying to gain confidence in the jiggin rap (which i think has been around for some 40 years). i did however have a fish get off while fishing the new chubby darter. maybe next year ill be ready to get on the rippin rap craze. by then the fish will be used to it and there will be something new out to take its place

gbfan10
    Hastings, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gbfan10 wrote:</div>

I haven’t had any luck with RR there either. I had better luck with a Buck SHot/ Rattle spoon to bring them in. 7/10 times they would hit my dead stick.

That’s my favorite setup on the pond.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gbfan10 wrote:</div>

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

If I could only take one bait/ lure it would be the #4 Rippin Rap. Pic is of a 27′ girl that rose 3 times to a tingler spoon and would not take, sent a #4 down and she just throttled it. Added to Andy’s post the crappies like’m also.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_04332.jpg

andrew keller

I have used one almost every time out this season haven’t caught a lot of fish on them but I haven’t had many days were I’ve had the fish real aggressive but when they are you better hold on cause these things are amazing. But even when they won’t hit it will bring em in to the deadstick rod

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

I’ve caught walleyes & perch, and the pike won’t leave them alone either.
    I’ve recently lost two of them to the toothy monkeybutts.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

when you guys say rippin rap #4 what size (weight) is that? it says the #5 is this RPR05 – 2″, 5/16 oz. so im guessing the 4 is 1 3/4″? The the #4’s seem to be sold out everywhere too. i cant find em

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

also how about the “ultra light rippin rap”? anyone put that bait to water with good results?

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

The ultra light is the #4

Hope this helps.
    Andy

schoff
    S.E., SD

The #4 is the Ultra light rippin rap specs are 1 1/2″ 3/16 oz.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

OOOHHH… ok. that works. Thanks Andy! I might pick up a few and get on the bandwagon. The other 8000 lures i have havent been working too well lately lol

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Like most baits, they have their time and place. Fortunately for Rapala and end users, that time and place is very common.

I’ve been using the live target gizzard shad for years in this application. The Rapala rattle rap is a good bait, but the square nose design stinks for vertical applications. It tends to roll or spiral over on the drop.

The one downfall on the live target bait is size. Their 1/2oz model is the smallest they offer. After years of asking for it, it hasn’t been a high priority. Rapala definitely nailed it with the new nose & weight displacement design. That size 4 is awesome

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

How common are the #4s to find. The jigging raps are working ok the thing is where I’m fishing the window of oppertunity to catch these walleye is short lived with a window of an hour or less with only gettin a few in that hour. Looking for something to catch more in that hour or hoping to extend the window or create a new window. Spoons buck shot to live bait just are not doing it as well as the jigging rap witch is not saying much.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I’ve been using Rippin Raps, Lindy Darters, Salmo Chubby Darters & Northland Live-Forage Rippin Shad the last couple of seasons and I’ll have to say the new Ultra-Lite Rippin Rap has become my go-to this season.

They work great on walleyes, perch & crappies and really rip lips on smallies.

The best part, no more messing with minnows, spikes or waxies. While I still carry these and fish with them, I’m on the search with Rippin Raps first.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_12561.jpg

olso2063
    NULL

I feel like these baits are easy to over work. Have yet to catch anything on em. I won’t give up on them though.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I feel like these baits are easy to over work. Have yet to catch anything on em. I won’t give up on them though.

Olso I find I get my best results on the initial drop by stoping it abruptly every 2-3 feet just hard enough to make a little noise, when I get 2-4 feet from the bottom (depending how the fish are reacting) then I pause and just bob it trying not to create any noise with it. Then as they come up to it I start pulling it away from them. If they are serious about it they will be on top of it in no time.

Greg R.
    New Berlin, WI

Hey guys, going to the petenwell flowage this weekend. This seems like the perfect place to try the rippin rap. Going out to pick some up. My question is are you tipping these with a minnow head or any other kind of bait? Also, how are you guys fishing these? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Good luck and stay dry!

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Where can a guy find any #4’s?

olso2063
    NULL

@iceasylum

Thanks for the tips. I just tried to rattle those things as much as possible.

lundojam

rippin brown from last spring

Attachments:
    1. brown-trout.jpg

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I don’t know what it is about these stupid things but they sure work. What species they really impress me with are crappies. I remember we received samples last year and while James and Joel fished plastics for filming, I tried out the #4. It turned negative fish into fish on a string and the larger fish were love struck.

Last night I was fishing a metro lake for sub par crappies 9-11″ and started with a small tungsten jig and plastic, and then a jig and meat with good success but as the night wore on the fish became less enthralled with my offerings. I slapped on a #4 Pink UV Tiger and my gosh, they would fly up to drill it. It amazed me how even the 9″ crappies wanted so badly to engulf this thing they barely could fit in their mouth and wouldn’t touch a small jig.

This pic is a 9″ crappie that choked down a #4.

Attachments:
    1. 20150203_190644.jpg

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Where can a guy find any #4’s?

I think these things are like fishing spots, you have to do the leg work yourself. grin

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

If any of you guys are having a hard time putting confidence in the UL Rippn Rap I would suggest you send them to me for further research !!!

Let me know and I’ll cover the shipping !!!

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Most places I have looked (online also) for the Ultra lite #4’s have them on backorder

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.