Ring bologna

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Here’s a 25 pound batch of rings done using 18 pounds of lean trimmed venison and 7 pounds of fatty pork shoulder. Walton’s Ring Bologna seasoning was used in this batch. Its a little pepperier than the wiener/bologna seasoning blend. I used clear 40mm collagen casings made for rings on these and they stuffed up super nice. The rings got about three hours of warm smoke, then went right into a hot water bath to finish them and then in a cold water bath to stop the cooking. Once out of the cold water they were hung in a cool garage and when cold and dry they were vacuum sealed as seen.

Instead of grinding thru two coarse plates I ground once coarse then thru a 3mm plate which made the meat super nice to run thru the stuffer. The meat was all cut into 1″ chunks and mixed, then the dry ingredients were spread on the chunks and a little bottled water added to loosen things up. Doing this assures a very even distribution of cure and seasonings when the grinding takes place.

I fried up the plug of meat from the stuffing tube as a treat and based on the taste test this batch will be thoroughly enjoyed over the winter. These rings [19 from the 25 pound batch] are another superb batch of sausage using the Walton’s seasoning blends and I think my search is over for the summer sausage and rings. Wieners are next. 25 pounds of’em. Walton’s wiener seasoning will be used in their making as well. Then its on to pork bratwurst and breakfast sausage.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1834.jpg

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

I dont know if they sell it over your way,but,Leggs old plantation pork sausage seasoning,makes really good breakfast sausage,it has some sage taste to it, I know some dont care too much for sage but if you do,hard to beat!!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I can get Leggs products on-line.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Looks good Tom. Not bad for a guy that thinks a crappie is a fish!!; devil rotflol wave

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Good humor there Glenn. And thanks….maybe some day you’ll end up down here and you can sample some of the bologna.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Very nice..
    Waltons pork sausage seasoning is very good. Look into their little smokies seasoning as well. I made a 5lb batch with 1lb shredded mild cheddar as a test batch and everyone is saying how wonderful it is. Planning on doing a 25lb batch in January once work slows down.

riverruns
    Inactive

Looks very good. Nice job. Nothing better than doing it yourself. waytogo

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Thank you….coming from the master.

Timmy

Thanks for sharing, Tom.

Walton’s, eh? I have done “Curley’s sausage kitchen” seasoning out of Iowa for the last few seasons and have been very pleased, but always interested in trying something new.

If you are looking for another source, I highly recommend Curleys. I HIGHLY reccomend their maple breakfast sausage. My wife is extremely picky about venison, and she loves this.

T

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Now my better half won’t touch anything maple. And I am not a fan of maple flavored sausage. My breakfast sausage I make using nothing but pork, no venison.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice job Tom, I grew up eating ring Bologna, we ate the full rings and the short Bolognas that were about 3″ long plus sheep casing hotdogs that were super good, All those old family owned meat shops are gone now and its too bad, but their meats were the greatest! You going to make any single serving short link bolognas?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

fried bologna sandwiches?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Nice job Tom, I grew up eating ring Bologna, we ate the full rings and the short Bolognas that were about 3″ long …. You going to make any single serving short link bolognas?

Not now as I am done with the bologna grinding. Hot dogs next.

I ended up with one casing left and had I ended up with enough meat to do a couple short chubs I would have, but the stuffer doesn’t really leave that much excess so I just patty that out and eat good.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.