Rifle

• Nitrodog

Looking at getting a bolt action 270. What ones should I guy check out. Would like to keep it around $500-600 for the gun. It would mainly be used out west. Also What Is a decent scope

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

In that price category it’s very difficult to go wrong with either a Savage Axis 2 or the Ruger American. Both of tremendous shooters for the price and in my experience both have equal accuracy potential.

Also worth looking into is the Thompson Center Compass. I’m not sure if the going street price is within your budget or not but this is a very good gun in a very reasonable price range.

Grouse

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

CVA has some nice centerfires too, just single shot if that matters.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Howa 1500 action in a game pro or lsomenif the other stock models would be in your price range. A Tikka with a blued barrel would probably be in the 6-7 range.

As for glass, you get what you pay for. Clarity is something very important to me. Absolutely no blurred image when I’m on the trigger. Burris, vortex, and the mid range and higher Leupolds would be my first to look at.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Tikka T3x Lite SS can usually be found for $750 at most local stores. WEatherby Vanguard (pretty much a Howa 1500) would be another good option. Bergara B14 Hunter, Ruger American, or the Howa rifles are all good options.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

CVA has some nice centerfires too, just single shot if that matters.

Their Cascade bolt gun has been getting good reviews, too. Haven’t had a chance to handle one but the specs look great.

Ross Gunderson

Tikka T3X is a great option. Throw a vortex higher end glass on and your set.

Ryan Scholl

I know its a little more than you want to spend, but I would vote Tikka T3 or Bergara B14 Hunter.

I had a bad experience with a savage axis and wound up just getting rid of it. It went “click” too many times hunting. Savage was no help and from an internet search it sounded like I wasn’t the only person with that problem. The bolt would open too easily and then it would give a light primer strike.

I just purchased a Bergara B14 ridge and am very happy with it. Its basically a heavier version of the hunter.

tornadochaser

Looking at getting a bolt action 270. What ones should I guy check out. Would like to keep it around $500-600 for the gun. It would mainly be used out west. Also What Is a decent scope

What’s your budget for optics?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Tikka T3X is a great option. Throw a vortex higher end glass on and your set.

Great recommendation. If hunting MN or WI, you’ll do just fine with a mid range optic from vortex like the diamondback if funds are tight.

Nitrodog

Might up the buget some after looking online tonight. What are the opions on stainless or glued barrels

sorgy

nitrodog,
    Check with R E E D S Sporting goods.

I bought 2 Browning X-Bolts in a special Synthetic Stock w/ a blued barrel. One is a 270 Win that is lights out… the other is a 7mm-08 and I think the nut behind the trigger is a little jumpy and I cannot group like that 270 Win. Both are super smooth actions w/ a detachable composit magazine.
    The 270 has a 24″ barrel and the 7mm-08 is a 20″ Barrel.

On a gun broker site they go by a different name. I think I paid $450 each for the gun but I bought 2. I think they were $499 I put Vortex scopes about $125 each and they are really solid guns.

Good luck

Steve

Ross Gunderson

Please remember to buy a good scope if your going out west. The poop scope will be tough to tell in the store because they don’t turn the lights low and throw brush out in front of an object where the good scope really shines. I went with the vortex viper line.

sktrwx2200

Tikka T3 Stainless probably just at the top of your budget.. the blued version probably could be found for $550-$600.

Absolutely a tac driver, great value.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.