replacing the net on a Frabill landing net

• pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I currently have a 17×19 Frabill Teardrop landing net with horrible blue “vinylon” mesh — it’s likes this one, but with blue vinylon instead of black poly. it gets snagged like crazy on cranks, takes 5 minutes or longer to untangle every time I catch a fish.

The handle is perfectly fine and I’d like to re-use it if possible but am not sure which replacement makes most sense:

– Amazon has 17×19 rubber replacements for $22 (Frabill’s site same thing for $34?)

– Frabill’s site has 17×19 black poly replacements for a mere $8 — is that any better than “vinylon”

– Final option is a tangle-free “heavy poly” replacement on Amazon for for $17. That’s for “up to 21×25” hoops.

Anyone have opinions? Thanks!

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I should’ve said, both the rubber and the “heavy poly” have the “tangle free” designation.

igotone

This is the one I get — I found them at Scheel’s for 13 bucks. Amazon has them also I think.
    this is a Frabill Replacement Net. I get the Heavy Poly

http://www.scheels.com/shop/scheels-catalog/frabill-reg%3B-replacement-net-82271-4540-e3

The net is to deep for me. 36″ I think
    I cut the bottom out of it and put a brass bull nose ring in it. Works great for me and I pull plugs a lot.
    The bull ring acts as a weight to keep the net down.
    I had a flat bottom tangle free conservation net that I threw in the garbage. Worst net I have had for getting plugs out.
    live bait ones were an issue also

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks for the ideas guys.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I hate rubber nets.

The weight or the “bounce” factor — or other reasons?

I’m leaning toward the “heavy poly” tangle-free option. My concern is they don’t offer it in the exact 17×19 size. It’s for “up to 21X25” hoops. The 17×19 is only offered in the standard poly. I’m a little worried the 21×25 could be “too much net” for my 17×19 and get bunched up on the hoop. Whereas the rubber is offered in my exact size.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I love rubber nets. A good portion of my fishing is with cranks and I am tired of trying to get hooks out of the net. The rubber is heavier, I will agree to that, but it is so much easier to get the hooks out. Most of the time all you have to do is give the line slack and the hooks come free. HUGE time saver.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Mostly the bounce. I like a deeper net.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

In a recent thread on nets/treble hooks, @munchy suggested:

I know some people claim they turn into a trampoline and bounce the fish out but the trick is to stand inside of it and pull the hoop up like you’re pulling up your pants. Do this a few times to remove the tightness and stretch it to create a deeper net.

igotone

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>
    I hate rubber nets.

I’m leaning toward the “heavy poly” tangle-free option. My concern is they don’t offer it in the exact 17×19 size. It’s for “up to 21X25” hoops. The 17×19 is only offered in the standard poly. I’m a little worried the 21×25 could be “too much net” for my 17×19 and get bunched up on the hoop. Whereas the rubber is offered in my exact size.

my hoop I believe was 20″ across and does not bunch
    I had a rubber one also and did not like it —- was let trying to caught them with a tennis racket and when the net hit water it was really heavy. Hard to net fish by yourself with it also.

if you got a scheel’s fairly close or amazon prime you can try one and return it.
    both places have great customer service.

PS
    just measured my net —- it is 21×21 and is tear shaped
    it measures 15″ across 10″ from were the handle goes in
    Hope this helps

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>pool2fool wrote:</div>

Mostly the bounce. I like a deeper net.

After stretching mine out like pool2fool reposted my nets are at least a foot deeper and much stretchier.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

my hoop I believe was 20″ across and does not bunch
    I had a rubber one also and did not like it —- was let trying to caught them with a tennis racket and when the net hit water it was really heavy. Hard to net fish by yourself with it also.

if you got a scheel’s fairly close or amazon prime you can try one and return it.
    both places have great customer service.

PS
    just measured my net —- it is 21×21 and is tear shaped
    it measures 15″ across 10″ from were the handle goes in
    Hope this helps

Thanks for taking the time to measure, much appreciated.

Decisions, decisions.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I love rubber nets. A good portion of my fishing is with cranks and I am tired of trying to get hooks out of the net. The rubber is heavier, I will agree to that, but it is so much easier to get the hooks out. Most of the time all you have to do is give the line slack and the hooks come free. HUGE time saver.

AMEN X2! waytogo

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Have 2 rubber ones in garage stretched one out then gave an extra shot ripped it. Damn. Guess I’ll crack open one more cold one. Stretching tip should’ve came with warning not for Putz

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

that sucks, sorry nick :/

Had a sassy pike tonight and that was the last freaking straw with this net!

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Lemme fix that for ya. . .

Rubber is so heavy! bawling

I’m starting to lean toward rubber just for the potential physical benefit at this point. Less time doing all those bicep curls in the basement, more time on the boat. Works for me.

munchy
    NULL

Rubber is so heavy!

You use the gunnel of the boat as a fulcrum point. Lay the net in the water and rest the handle against the boat at a 45 degree angle. Swim the fish into the net and push down on the handle to raise the net. I do it alone all the time and never had a problem. Takes zero effort. There is no need to swing the net around and act like an Extreme Net Man with it.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Rubber is so heavy!

Yes it is, but the benefits way outweigh the cons.

I used to carry 2 nets, one was rubber for crankin. I don’t have 2 nets any more, just the rubber one. waytogo

fishingchallenged

I just took the hooks off of my cranks. Same net, no tangles!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I suppose y’all aren’t netting 10-15# fish in current with one hand on rod and one on the net.

Enjoyed the expert commentary though.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I suppose y’all aren’t netting 10-15# fish in current with one hand on rod and one on the net.

Enjoyed the expert commentary though.

Just a little gentle ribbing and opinion sharing. And no, you’re right — with the exception of an odd sheepie here and there most of what finds its way into my boat is under 5 lbs.

I am fishing solo in good current 90% of the time though, so we have that in common I guess.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    Rubber is so heavy!

You use the gunnel of the boat as a fulcrum point. Lay the net in the water and rest the handle against the boat at a 45 degree angle. Swim the fish into the net and push down on the handle to raise the net. I do it alone all the time and never had a problem. Takes zero effort. There is no need to swing the net around and act like an Extreme Net Man with it.

<div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.2353%;”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/kVaSAlEOnb0?feature=oembed&#8221; allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid516230″ frameborder=”0″></iframe></div></div>

Funny commercial toast

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.