Replacing rings & hooks on old rapalas

• pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I found an old tackle box of my dad’s filled with a selection of Finnish balsa rapalas. Couples of shad raps, a countdown, and a handful of original floating minnows in a range of sizes, jointed, etc. Most of the lures are in good shape, one of the shad raps is very faded and dinged up. All of the trebles are some degree of rusty, as are the split rings. Is it feasible to replace the hooks? What tools would I want to use? I’m assuming I can get hook sizes in Rapala website.

Is this even worth it? I suppose I’m being sentimental a bit.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3782.jpg

Ryan P
    Farmington

You can absolutely replace the hooks. Personally I wouldn’t bother with the rapala website…take off a hook of each size and head to Fleet Farm. Should be able to get replacements there.

munchy
    NULL

Agreed ^^^

And you can get yourself a split ring pliers for pretty cheap at FF as well. They look like regular needlenose pliers but have a small beak on the nose.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Depending on the crankbait, some hooks get changed right out of the box. waytogo

-J.

munchy
    NULL

Here’s a great tutorial on changing trebles.

rmartin
    United States

Size #4, 6 and 8 will get you through most of your hook replacement needs. The hooks on #5 and 7 shad raps are size 6. I use this size the most.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I’ll check out the video. This will be a good project!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Be aware that changing the hooks can impact the weight of the bait if the replacements are the same as the original. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing — you could even try larger trebles on the front and back of the floaters while leaving the middle empty, for example.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Be aware that changing the hooks can impact the weight of the bait if the replacements are the same as the original. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing — you could even try larger trebles on the front and back of the floaters while leaving the middle empty, for example.

I’m hoping to grab a variety of sizes so that I can experiment a bit like that. Entirely new to me.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I do need to get a pliers…. lol. Using a finger nail or a second hook, I always end up jabbing myself, and I seem to be changing at least one every time I’m out.

blank

Depending on the crankbait, some hooks get changed right out of the box. waytogo

-J.

Funny you mention that, I used a brand new Rapala Shadow Rap last night and had multiple hooks bent after just a couple medium sized bass. I’m thinking I may need to change them out.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Funny you mention that, I used a brand new Rapala Shadow Rap last night and had multiple hooks bent after just a couple medium sized bass. I’m thinking I may need to change them out.

Same thing happened to me. The first fish almost straighten out the hook.

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blank wrote:</div>

Same thing happened to me. The first fish almost straighten out the hook.

Evidently this Lefebre guy likes the light wire hooks. Myself, not so much.
    http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/rapalas-shadow-rap/

“The hooks are amazing. They are light-wire ones, and they stick to everything they touch. In fact, they are the best hooks I have ever seen on a jerkbait. But because they are light-wire hooks, you have to take your time after a hefty bass engulfs the Shadow Rap, and you have to fight that bass rather gingerly and wisely or the hooks will bend. I wish I could get a couple hundred thousand of them to put on my other hard baits.”

404 ERROR
    MN

I do need to get a pliers…. lol. Using a finger nail or a second hook, I always end up jabbing myself, and I seem to be changing at least one every time I’m out.

I’m glad i’m not the only one…Every. Dang. Time…

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I guess Lefebre doesn’t fish in any kind of weeds at all.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Those are nice looking baits. Those old plain colors still work well today. Split ring pliers, new split rings, and new hooks and you are good!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.