Replacing Otter Fabric

• Cody hesseltine
    Maryland

I have an otter wild with the bench seat. The sled and frame are in good shape but the fabric is pretty much shot.
    Will the fabric from and XT650 cabin fit on the frame. The tubing seems to be the same from what I can tell from pictures. Anybody have any experience?

Thanks for the help.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I’d just call Otter. They would be able to answer any questions on fit.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

So after reading your post I remembered I had an old Wild2 sitting in my garage that had a pretty bad hole in it. So I emailed them and this was the response I got. Not really a surprise as the Wild series has been gone a while now.

Al,

Thank you for contacting Otter Outdoors!

Yes, you could order a new canvas but you would also need to order new framework for fitment purposes.

Unfortunately, by the time you order these pieces you are close to the cost of an entirely new package.

In most of these situations we recommend selling your current one and purchasing new. This is the most cost effective for you.

Let me know if you have other questions!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I am sure it would fit just may be tight or loose in some spots. The tub is different also on how it attaches .

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I upgraded my Wild Lodge to a 1200 Pro cover and it fit perfect.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I upgraded my Wild Lodge to a 1200 Pro cover and it fit perfect.

Was that still the orange and black or was that the grey camo? My Wild2 is the old orange and black style still.

Cody hesseltine
    Maryland

I have the orange and black one as well but looking to hear back on the one you replaced it on.

bfishn

I have the otter wild cabin with the black camo tarp, that’s nearing its end. My sled and frame are still in great shape so I have been trying to decide what to do.

I didn’t realize otter was offering just the canvas separately again. I noticed the outgoing xt650 tarp for only $75 on the website, for that price I took a chance and ordered it on Tuesday. Canvas showed up at my house today less than 48 hours after order, if this thing fits I basically have a brand new cabin for $75, and I will be happier than a puppy with two peters!

I’m not sure I will get it on before I go out this weekend, so it may be next week, but I will post if it fits.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I’d be really interested to hear if that works.

SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

I am curious also as I have the Orange/Black Cabin and want to get into a thermal one. This would be cheaper.

bfishn

I’ll let you guys know as soon as I can. With the tarp off i’m going to take the time to remove the self tapping screws in the frame that always rattle loose, and drill/put bolts through the frame so they cant come loose.

I did some research before I ordered and the setup dimensions of the Wild cabin and XT cabin are identical. I’ll actually be surprised if it doesn’t work.

szopinski6

The XT650 canvas is only thermal on the top though isn’t it? (says that on the otter website) I have the old black camo otter wild cottage with the thermal top and was looking to buy the xt1200 fully thermal replacement canvas but the dimensions for the xt cottage shacks were 54Lx77Dx63H… Meanwhile the old black camo otter wild cottage was 54Lx79Dx65H. Kinda sucks that the older otters were bigger than its successor! If it was the other way around id be ok with it being a little loose but I don’t want it to be too small. I also don’t want to buy the thermal top canvas even if it is only $75. Otter just wants me to go broke on the new x-overs apparently (

Cody hesseltine
    Maryland

I ended up ordering it last night as I couldn’t see how it won’t fit. Hopfully mine comes in soon so I can put it on

bfishn

The XT650 canvas is only thermal on the top though isn’t it? (says that on the otter website) I have the old black camo otter wild cottage with the thermal top and was looking to buy the xt1200 fully thermal replacement canvas but the dimensions for the xt cottage shacks were 54Lx77Dx63H… Meanwhile the old black camo otter wild cottage was 54Lx79Dx65H. Kinda sucks that the older otters were bigger than its successor! If it was the other way around id be ok with it being a little loose but I don’t want it to be too small. I also don’t want to buy the thermal top canvas even if it is only $75. Otter just wants me to go broke on the new x-overs apparently (

I do believe your correct that this XT650 is just a thermal top, but then it still does have the dual layer fabric for the rest, so it is certainly better then the black/gray camo version. They then eventually updated the XT to the Otter thermal-tech fabric that was fully insulated. You can get the XT Thermal-tec for the cabin but it is $399. $75 vs $399 is a no-brainer for me.

Also, I don’t think they have changed size. The Wild/XT bench models have always been taller and had different dimensions then the pro/1200 swivel seat houses. I actually prefer the bench model cabin over the pro for this exact reason.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Szo and Bfishin, otter does not make a non-insulated shack anymore. The XT650 is a 650 denier insulated fabric, the Pro is a 1200 denier insulated Fabric. Basically double the insulation on a pro.

I went from an XT to an XT PRO last year and I really did not need to. I just wanted the bucket seats, which the xt pro comes with but the xt does not.

The 1200 denier fabric is warm enough to use a regular size buddy on low always, even in the negative digits.

szopinski6

Yeah ur right the dual layer on the 650 is better than the old school black ice camo. I just took a $75 shot in the dark and ordered the xt 1200 cottage canvas for a replacement on my otter wild camo. It says it was for the pro sleds and I have the wild sled but I hope it fits. After doing a little more research i found a bunch of sites that had slightly different sled and setup dimensions for the XT Cottage and Wild Cottage… It seems the wild cottage setup is 2 inches taller than the XT cottage (with the pro sled) but the wild sled is also 2″ taller taller than the pro sled so I assume that the framing poles are the same dimension and that the new canvas should be able to fit over it. FINGERS CROSSED!

bfishn

Yeah your issue may be where it attaches to the sled. The pro sled is more level all the way across, where as the wild/xt sled is high on both ends, but then dips down several inches in the middle. There may not be enough extra fabric to be able to attached to the sled in the back, maybe you can modify the poles a bit to get the extra clearance.

bfishn

Szo and Bfishin, otter does not make a non-insulated shack anymore. The XT650 is a 650 denier insulated fabric, the Pro is a 1200 denier insulated Fabric. Basically double the insulation on a pro.

I went from an XT to an XT PRO last year and I really did not need to. I just wanted the bucket seats, which the xt pro comes with but the xt does not.

The 1200 denier fabric is warm enough to use a regular size buddy on low always, even in the negative digits.

They dont anymore, but when they first switched from the camo canvas to the black/blue, the xt650 was still just thermal top until the switched to the thermal-tec fabric. The ones they are selling for $75 are those older thermal top covers.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I was wondering how they were so cheap. hell for $75 I was thinking about grabbing one just to have a spare, but I guess I’ll save my 75 now. Smoking deal for these guys who need a new canvas to replace a real old one though!

Did anyone else notice that they are not selling the “regular” XT and XT pro, but only the X-overs on the website now? I wonder if they plan to discontinue the non X-over model this year?

bfishn

I can confirm the $75 xt650 cover fits my old Wild/black camo cabin perfectly!

Attachments:
    1. A44FAE43-FD6B-4FCC-97FC-6D75F629D966.jpeg

2. F006DEE6-1CBB-4ACD-86E3-2BFEABFE8A86.jpeg

Cody hesseltine
    Maryland

Great to see it fit. Did they send you a confirmation email after ordering ? Haven’t received one and my payment is still pending on my card.

bfishn

No they didn’t send me an email either, I was about to call them and then I went home for lunch and it was sitting on my doorstep. They probably sent yours the morning after you ordered.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

Cody,

Could you please post your results for the new skin once you get it on.

iTinker

I’ve got an old purple cabin collecting dust. Anyone know if this will fit my shack?

Cody hesseltine
    Maryland

Cody,

Could you please post your results for the new skin once you get it on.

She fit like a glove.

Attachments:
    1. F01EB82B-4FA8-4614-A277-F80ACABDC57B.jpeg

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

Excellent. Just ordered mine.

iTinker

I’ve got an old purple cabin collecting dust. Anyone know if this will fit my shack?

Anyone? I’ve searched to no avail…

bfishn

I don’t really know much about the older purple houses, but I think they may have used the pro sled vs the wild sled so they may have a bit different dimensions and sled profile. The XT pro canvas may be a better fit possibly, but not sure you’ll know unless you just try them.

iTinker

I don’t really know much about the older purple houses, but I think they may have used the pro sled vs the wild sled so they may have a bit different dimensions and sled profile. The XT pro canvas may be a better fit possibly, but not sure you’ll know unless you just try them.

The dimensions are 65x32x20 for the sled

Was thinking about this:
    otteroutdoors.com/product/canvas-xt-650-cabin/

I noticed that the replacement sled for the xt-650 is in fact the medium pro sled with the same dimensions.

ld123456

Tinker, I have the same purple shack and was wondering the same thing. I found these dimensions for the xt650..
    Otter 650XT Cabin Package Dimensions – Cabin: (2 Man) – Setup Dimensions: 64”L x 84”D x 72.2”H – Collapsed Dimensions: 64”L x 36”D x 23.5”H – Weight: 95 lbs.
    I will check and measure my old one today, hope it’s the same size. Later…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.