Replacement bunks Composite lumber OK?

• norge

I have to replace bunks on my trailer. 2 (2X6X12 foot) and 2 (2X6X6 foot) Can I use composite deck lumber without carpet?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Good question.

I would worry about the composite deck lumber strength if it was me. And I would confirm with someone else who has done it or has a definitive answer before I took the plunge, especially if it was a heavier fiberglass boat.

They do make composite bunk boards specifically designed for this purpose if you’re interested.

https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/

Charles

I would think it would be slippery than snot. But I hear that GatorBak products are a awesome

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

To play devil’s advocate, what is the “problem” that’s being fixed by going with a composite product over regular lumber and carpet?

For Reference:

An 8′ wooden 2×6 is $4.50

A Menards grade composite 2×6 is $35.

A pair of 2×6 bunks from the website linked above is $284 shock

…It’s not that bad of a job replacing bunks once every 10-12 years for a fraction of the cost.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have used green treat wrapped in I/O carpet. Lasts decades cool

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It’s not that bad of a job replacing bunks once every 10-12 years for a fraction of the cost.

Oh I beg to differ. Not a fun job and its a PITA because you have to remove the boat from the trailer to do it. Otherwise it wouldn’t be so bad.

I still have traditional bunks w/carpet that came with my trailer but I replaced bunk carpet a couple years ago. Aint doing it again if it rips.

Beast

my concern would be the hardware pulling through in time if carriage bolts weren’t used.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Oh I beg to differ. Not a fun job and its a PITA because you have to remove the boat from the trailer to do it. Otherwise it wouldn’t be so bad.

I still have traditional bunks w/carpet that came with my trailer but I replaced bunk carpet a couple years ago. Aint doing it again if it rips.
    [/quote]

It’s really not a big PITA. If you can measure, cut, and carpet the new bunks, you can take the boat to the closest boat ramp to dump it off and have the new bunks installed in about 20 minutes tops. And….green treat 2×6 is WAY cheaper than composite.

Walleye Hungry

Something about green treat touching my aluminum boat screams no…that being said i have rollers )

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Something about green treat touching my aluminum boat screams no…that being said i have rollers )

They are carpeted, so….

Ripjiggen

Yeah I’m not sure I would want composite with no carpet going up the bottom of my boat.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It’s really not a big PITA. If you can measure, cut, and carpet the new bunks, you can take the boat to the closest boat ramp to dump it off and have the new bunks installed in about 20 minutes tops.

That’s exactly what I do. Takes me longer than 20 minutes. Quite a bit longer. Pass on doing it again.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crossin_eyes wrote:</div>
    It’s really not a big PITA. If you can measure, cut, and carpet the new bunks, you can take the boat to the closest boat ramp to dump it off and have the new bunks installed in about 20 minutes tops.

That’s exactly what I do. Takes me longer than 20 minutes. Quite a bit longer. Pass on doing it again.

Your doing it wrong. You hear about the hot bite… tell the wife your taking her with fishing. Dump the boat in, have her install the new bunks while you go “find em” and after you find them… (she is done installing the bunks) you go pick her up !!! Good luck guys !

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

LOL thanks clearly I’m missing something here.

Jason

I bought a 1/2″ thick x 48″x120″ sheet of black UHMW and ran it though my table saw and screwed it down to my bunks. My 20.5′ 3klb boat comes off so so much easier than on the prior carpeted bunks. If you have a 15 deg incline you can dam near push it off by hand or just tap the brakes hard while you backing it down the ramp to lanch it. Two years ago I couldn’t get it to float off in thigh deep water and I said never again, shortly after I added the slides. I also run it on my duck boat trailer, and I can push off my 17′ x 56″ mud boat on dry ground if need be.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I replaced mine. I measured, cut, wrapped the boards in my garage (30 minutes).

The next week when I had free time I Drove 2 miles to the launch. Nudged the boat onto shore. Pulled off the old bunks. Installed the new ones. Loaded the boat. Stopped by the liquor store for a hard to find (at the time) bottle of 4 roses…and was home within 30 minutes of when I pulled out of the driveway.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I replaced mine. I measured, cut, wrapped the boards in my garage (30 minutes).

The next week when I had free time I Drove 2 miles to the launch. Nudged the boat onto shore. Pulled off the old bunks. Installed the new ones. Loaded the boat. Stopped by the liquor store for a hard to find (at the time) bottle of 4 roses…and was home within 30 minutes of when I pulled out of the driveway.

well…you know then government workers!!!!! doah devil rotflol

sorry Gim……just had to!!!!1 whistling whistling smash

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Haha. Wouldn’t be the first time.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I have done this and its not awful unloading your boat and doing the work in the lot. Next time this is needed, I will be jacking my boat up in my driveway and using jackstands while I replace the bunks. Not ideal but zero pressure to do it on your own pace.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

…It’s not that bad of a job replacing bunks once every 10-12 years for a fraction of the cost.

With treated lumber, I’d be surprised if you even need to do it that often. They stay dry and are sheltered from uv 99.9% of the time.

I went to redo the bunk carpet on a rebranded trailer that came with a typical mid range Midwest brand aluminum boat owned by a friend. Rig was 8 year old. When I pulled the old carpet off I could see the bunks were just plain non-treated construction lumber painted black. It was doing fine, not rotten at all after 8 years.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

So now I’m slightly confused by this. Are you guys talking about replacing the actual bunk boards or just the bunk carpet? I was talking about replacing the carpet because its ripped or worn, not the actual bunk boards.

I’ve never replaced the boards. I’ve only replaced the carpet.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Just replace mine last summer as both bunks had failed. 4 to 5 year old trailer. Wanted to try slicks on the new bunks so in the end just went with the Ultimate Bunk Boards. Yes they cost a bit more but figuring in never having to replace them or carpet again help with the cost. I do like that they are slick but not to slick. Got the ones with aluminum backing .

Tom schmitt

I would not use plain old composite lumber made from recycled plastic (the stuff they make lawn furniture and deck boards out of) this stuff is not rated for structural support.
    If you’re talking about something else disregard this.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.