Reopen holes with new 40v strikemaster

• Mike S

Purchased the new strikemaster 40 volt auger and on Winne and wondering what the trick is to reopen holes? It seems to just bounce around. Sure fast for cutting new holes. Thanks

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

That’s the down fall of laser blades, need a chipper bit.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Slowly tilt angle of the auger side to side fur reopening until it catches. Not as good as a chipper but definitely servicable.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Alright I gotta ask, rookie question, why is it harder to reopen holes than not?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Alright I gotta ask, rookie question, why is it harder to reopen holes than not?

I don’t know exactly why, I have both a Mag 2000 chipper gas and an Electra Lazer. As Dustin Gesinger says, and Will Roseberg confirms…that be the difference. Lazer blades cut new holes, well like a lazer. Chipper blade, kind of saws it’s way down. But digs out old crud and re-opens holes.

Maybe like me, one should have multiple augers for multiple drilling challenges. tongue

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I have last years electric Strikemaster Lithium Lazer, which only has one speed: fast. The laser blades bounce around so much that I imagine it would damage or even bend the blades. If it were to start a little more slowly, I think it would work better with Will’s method.

castle-rock-clown

I just reopened some old holes from yesterday and my 8” K-Drill mounted on my Ion powerhead performed flawlessly.

Mike S

Can you just get chipper blades and put on when you might need them? I very seldom reopen holes but would be nice if needed. I like the ease of cutting holes with the lazer blades that came with it. Virtually effortless and with age and shoulder issues sure worked great. Have had many different augers but so far this is well worth the money.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Can you just get chipper blades and put on when you might need them? I very seldom reopen holes but would be nice if needed. I like the ease of cutting holes with the lazer blades that came with it. Virtually effortless and with age and shoulder issues sure worked great. Have had many different augers but so far this is well worth the money.

The chipper blades don’t fit on a Lazer bit and vice versa, but it is very easy to swap between bits on the powerhead.

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

I have the 50 volt lithium laser and have no problems reopening holes, this may be due to it having the point on the auger.
    Was up on LOW for 5 days and reopened holes in the wheel house on each day ( and they froze deep and quick with the covers on each night ).

Mike S

My issue was the holes were not frozen solid. Just the hole edges were getting narrower. I will try if it happens again with starting at an angle. I do see now that I would have to get the auger end instead of just blades to go to the chipper style. Was wondering how much harder to drill holes with the chipper blade? Was considering the 10″. Thanks for all the replys

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

It’s been interesting to see augers recently advertised for the ability to reopen holes. Convenient for permanent houses. Growing up was always told to never redrill an old hole that it would bend the auger and bit would be shot. Guess that must’ve happened to the old man at some point.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Growing up was always told to never redrill an old hole that it would bend the auger and bit would be shot. Guess that must’ve happened to the old man at some point.

Ya back in the day when you had 3hp Jiffy’s that weighed 35pounds. I remember watching my uncle (very strong dude) get launched into the side of his fish house when he was reopening a hole. Those augers sure had power. Scared the crap out of me. It was like watching the WWF and my uncle was not winning! That would certainly wreck an auger bit.

Now I reopen holes all of the time with my laser or my ion. Take it slow and I’ve never had an issue. Like Will R. recommended tilt the auger at an angle until the bit catches and then tip the auger vertical and drill away!

404 ERROR
    MN

If you think it’s bad re-opening holes with your auger, go try it with a Nils bit. Hold your thoughts tight or they’ll all rattle out your ears by the first hole. I have bent my flighting by going too fast.

The lazer blades aren’t nearly as bad, but you still need to go slow to get it started.

milemark_714

I just reopened some old holes from yesterday and my 8” K-Drill mounted on my Ion powerhead performed flawlessly.

That’s the beauty with the K-drill,it’s not as fast or efficient like Lazer,Nils or such.But the K-drill does not care where you cut.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Makes me think of some of the old augers like Joe mentioned the wrestling match. My grandpa’s auger made you feel like you were getting destroyed by mike Tyson. old strikemaster chipper blade would toss you around the hole. from either late 80s or early 90s.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.