Renewal By Andersen Windows

• fishingdm

Hello,

We are looking into getting a couple windows and a patio door replaced. One company I have gotten a estimate from is renewal by andersen. I am looking to hear from others if they have had any windows replaced by them. If you did, are you happy with the product and the installation? Any problems arise after installation? If so, how were they to deal with getting it taken care of? Thank you for your help!

onestout
    Hudson, WI

The windows themselves are amazing. You can also get a similar Andersen insert/replacement window and see if you can find an independant contractor to install to save a few bucks. With how busy the building trades are it may be tough to find someone, took us a while. Good luck.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

The windows themselves are amazing. You can also get a similar Andersen insert/replacement window and see if you can find an independant contractor to install to save a few bucks. With how busy the building trades are it may be tough to find someone, took us a while. Good luck.

I have not had them personally done, but a conversation with an independent contractor said what a world of difference in the windows. The cheap one’s almost always became a nightmare to install, rarely fitting into the opening and making a 2 hour job into an all day.

He said just get the high end Anderson windows and they just drop in and stay that way for as long as you’ll live in the house.

jkarels

Remodeled my house 2 years ago and had Renewals put in the whole house. They are amazing! Their installers did a great job.
    Noticed a difference in my Xcel bill the first winter. Have not had any issues.

Deleted

I have them (Renewal by Andersen) all around the house. 10 windows total with one being a big picture window. I called the local lumber yard, they sent their guy out to measure my openings. This cost me nothing. I paid the $5500 for 10 windows to the lumber yard when they came in. I hired a licensed general contractor at the rate of $100 per hour for two brothers to put them in. It took them a total of 5 1/2 hrs to install all 10 windows. Total project cost was $6,050 !

Everything was custom made to fit perfectly.

The next closest bid I had from other window installers was $22,000 for the exact same windows to be installed.

I had to dispose of my old windows on my own so that cost me $40 to drop off at my refuse company and throw it in their rolloff bin.

We love the windows. Did have a problem with a broken window lock. Ordered a warranty replacement from the lumber yard and installed it myself. I really recommend these windows but shop around , or get bent over.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>onestout wrote:</div>

I have not had them personally done, but a conversation with an independent contractor said what a world of difference in the windows. The cheap one’s almost always became a nightmare to install, rarely fitting into the opening and making a 2 hour job into an all day.

He said just get the high end Anderson windows and they just drop in and stay that way for as long as you’ll live in the house.

Window manufacturers build the window to the specifications supplied by the person that orders them. If a window doesn’t fit it is probably due to a mis measurement on the person that measured them.

One thing people should know about windows/patio doors.

In new construction you build the house to fit the window. In a retrofit you build the window to fit the opening.

DIY’ers and novice Contractors make the common mistake of going to the big box stores to purchase windows/patio doors. You take them your measurements and then they sell you a product that is smaller then the opening. When you ask if they will fit, they say yeah, because they are selling a smaller size. They don’t tell you that you will possibly need to re-frame, add fillers on the outside or re-side, re-drywall, and paint.
    If you would have bought a custom size that fits the opening you would not have any additional work.
    The custom size is more expensive but cheaper in the long run.

Anyway – Renewal’s are a good window. Just don’t take the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd price the salesperson throws out there.

jkarels

Just so you don’t get things mixed up. Anderson and Renewal by Anderson are different. Both are great windows but you cannot by Renewal windows from a lumberyard. The glass and the materials they are made of are different too.

Charles

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>onestout wrote:</div>

Window manufacturers build the window to the specifications supplied by the person that orders them. If a window doesn’t fit it is probably due to a mis measurement on the person that measured them.

One thing people should know about windows/patio doors.

In new construction you build the house to fit the window. In a retrofit you build the window to fit the opening.

DIY’ers and novice Contractors make the common mistake of going to the big box stores to purchase windows/patio doors. You take them your measurements and then they sell you a product that is smaller then the opening. When you ask if they will fit, they say yeah, because they are selling a smaller size. They don’t tell you that you will possibly need to re-frame, add fillers on the outside or re-side, re-drywall, and paint.
    If you would have bought a custom size that fits the opening you would not have any additional work.
    The custom size is more expensive but cheaper in the long run.

Anyway – Renewal’s are a good window. Just don’t take the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd price the salesperson throws out there.

Usually at menards they ask the rough size then they minus 1/2 around the sides.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I had all the windows in my home replaced in 2011. The guys who did the installation were great. The windows work flawlessly. It was not cheap, but I am very happy with the results.

big_g
    Isle, MN

If your window opening sizes changed, from when they were originally built for off the shelf sizes, you have bigger problems than windows. jester

404 ERROR
    MN

I priced them out last year and they were about 25-30% more than ABC Seamless and about 50% more than the smaller operations in the area. I’m sure they’re outstanding windows, but I can’t imagine they’re $8,000 better…

I believe we are going with ABC this summer.

fishingdm

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I will get a few more quotes and go from there. I will let you know what we end up going with.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

This subject was brought up here a few years ago. I recall there was a guy from St. Cloud who did the renewal stuff. I don’t know if he is still around or not.

erniebrown

I have lots of investment properties which have contained hundreds of Pella and Andersen vinyl and aluminum clad windows and doors.

In my experience they are both complete junk. Both brands have leaked badly and both have suffered catastrophic failures with frequent rotting of the lower or bottom rail . The trouble is that neither company ever figured out how to keep the water out.

Making matters worse, it is my belief that the management of both companies lied about these window and door failures, in most cases, claiming that the products were not defective, when we all knew better. Their favorite cover story is faulty installation.

In the case of Andersen sliders, they are notorious leakers, especially in areas with higher winds. I had lots of sliders where the vinyl jamb was so flimsy that it split from frequent opening and closing, and created many hidden cracks behind the weather stripping. All that created soggy carpets and rotten wood floors.

In one house, Andersen sent out their smartest tech people, and were unable to find the leaks. As they were preparing to leave, I offered to show them their hidden leaks. They claimed that in the history of the company they had never heard of split jambs causing leaks. I do not believe them.

In Pella’s case, their windows and doors leaked so badly that in many cases the window or door rotted, and had to be replaced.

So knowing what I know, I would buy any brand except Andersen or Pella

Beast

I have lots of investment properties which have contained hundreds of Pella and Andersen vinyl and aluminum clad windows and doors.

In my experience they are both complete junk. Both brands have leaked badly and both have suffered catastrophic failures with frequent rotting of the lower or bottom rail . The trouble is that neither company ever figured out how to keep the water out.

Making matters worse, it is my belief that the management of both companies lied about these window and door failures, in most cases, claiming that the products were not defective, when we all knew better. Their favorite cover story is faulty installation.

In the case of Andersen sliders, they are notorious leakers, especially in areas with higher winds. I had lots of sliders where the vinyl jamb was so flimsy that it split from frequent opening and closing, and created many hidden cracks behind the weather stripping. All that created soggy carpets and rotten wood floors.

In one house, Andersen sent out their smartest tech people, and were unable to find the leaks. As they were preparing to leave, I offered to show them their hidden leaks. They claimed that in the history of the company they had never heard of split jambs causing leaks. I do not believe them.

In Pella’s case, their windows and doors leaked so badly that in many cases the window or door rotted, and had to be replaced.

So knowing what I know, I would buy any brand except Andersen or Pella

I worked for Andersen windows for well over 30 years, R & D would test our windows as well as most competitors. I I can tell you with a fair amount of knowledge on the subject, that if any of the top brands leaked, more than likely it was a poor install job to begin with.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I don’t have any experience with Anderson but I’ve heard good things.

I just had two big picture windows replaced at my house facing the lake. Not cheap… I went with Marvin windows. Worst decision ever. My last Marvin Windows were trash and I got talked into doing them again. The screens don’t fit and the windows don’t even close right. Brand new and I can feel the air blowing in when they’re closed. Anything but a marvin. Contacted the rep and customer service multiple times. No response. Nonexistent customer service.

Brittman

We had several companies bid the windows in our home. Across the entire price point spectrum. It was quite the experience. Renewal by Anderson was on the high side, but their quote was thorough with no hidden fees …

If you go Renewal and chose wood veneer interior – you will have to stain and urethane coat yourself or pay (A LOT) to have it done for you by Renewal. We have one Renewal non-wood veneer window and it is fantastic.

I have Anderson windows throughout my home. Most are Renewal by Anderson, but there are two Anderson 400 series (in the kitchen and bathroom) and slider.

If you have a standard dimension window the Anderson 400 series is a very nice window for the money. You would need to install yourself or hire installation. As soon as you deviate from standard dimension – it goes special order and the cost quickly approaches Renewal price points. That is why we went Renewal on all our sliders.

The top floor our home has Renewal by Anderson (11 years old). They are excellent and meet or exceed all expectations. The bottom level of our home had Renewal by Anderson windows installed 2 years ago. Much higher price 9 years later – but not unexpected. Some design changes, but pretty much the same.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.