Remington 760 Gamemaster value

• robby
    Quad Cities

I found one of these at a local gun shop. We cant hunt deer with rifles here. It is a plain jane model with sling swivel factory installed on the barrel. It is clean! Id give it 95%. Dont think it been shot much. No dings. Have not inspected bore but will do. What is this worth? Remington made these between n 1951 and 1981. I suspect this is a late model. Any ideas?

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Call Remington with the serial number and they will tell you when it was made, then do your research from there, like everything made some were good some not so good

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

$300 to $425 depending on condition. Older models from the 50s to the late 60s are much more desirable and may occasionally bring $450 or even a little more in exceptional condition,

You are correct. The fixed, barrel-mounted sling swivel was added to the later models. Many consider these the least desirable of the species.

Don’t overpay. Because these rifles were pure hunting rifles, there are plenty out there that saw only occasional use and therefore it’s not that difficult to find good examples that weren’t shot a lot.

My father has a 760 and I have handloaded for it extensively. Don’t expect the tack-driving accuracy that is so common in today’s rifles. The 760, in general, is a minute-of-baseball gun at 100 yards. If, of course, you got a good one. I helpd a gentleman sight one in at the gun club some years back an it would not exceed softball sized groups. MOA is difficult and may be impossible to achieve in many rifles.

My father bought his 760 in 1960 and then did something unheard of back then. He added a SCOPE. A shocking show of decadence (and some said hubris) in 1960! Imagine, “wasting” a scope on a “brush gun”. What was he thinking?

He was thinking that a scope was, in fact, very useful in the big timber. And he was right. He mowed down driven whitetails with results that made the rifle (and my father) legendary in his deer camp back in the days when the whole point was to fill the meat pole. He wasn’t afraid to stretch the barrel on occasion either. He shot a nice buck at 420 paces once in North Dakota once in 1964. That wouldn’t have happened with the ol’ .30-30 that was so common back in the day.

Grouse

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Well put!

robby
    Quad Cities

Gotta admit it is a sexy rifle! Thanks all.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Gotta admit it is a sexy rifle! Thanks all.

I have 742 auto in .20-06 and IMO it’s not only better looking than the pump 760, but factually speaking it shoots far better. It may or may not be typical, but my 742 is a 1.5 inch rifle at 100, which is tremendously accurate for that vintage of autoloader.

Both rifles are heavy by bolt gun standards. That didn’t stop me, however, from shooting a lot of deer with that rifle. I’ve heard a lot of people say these rifles jammed a lot, but IMO you’d have to be mentally deficient not to have perfect function in these rifles. Keep them clean (which is easy) and do not gob on grease and goo. A simple shot of spray lube and wipe the excess off, and my 1960s vintage auto flings them with the best of them.

Grouse

robby
    Quad Cities

Update! She joined the family. Close inspection reveals a great bore. No rust or dings anywhere. Last owner had her hid away in a safe for “many years” and has never fired her. She is a safe queen. I was wrong about her vintage too, called Big Green with her serial number (59***) and she was hatched in 1952. Im elated! Trigger is pretty darned decent but will get a honing and polishing then to dress her with a scope. Im happy with my acquisition. Thanks for all your input and stories. Btw a friend has one that shoots moa out to 250 yards or so. Well see how this girl performs. Now I gotta name her. Any ideas? I was thinking “Granny”.

robby
    Quad Cities

Btw, same shop has a 742. Hummm? ????

robby
    Quad Cities

Maybe the 742 would quash my want for a BAR. Probably not but one can hope. Lol.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.