Regrets going from topper to tonneau?

• Beast

No topper for me, last one I had I hated, I like stepping from the trailer tongue into the box and and onto the top of the rear tire, I never get wet feet, and I don’t like having to take a topper or to haul something tall, it’s not worth the hassle for me.

basseyes

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>basseyes wrote:</div>
    My oldest kid took me to a junkyard as a surprise and the family got me a carpeted topper with side lift vented windows and a full bedrug for like $75 total. One of the best d@m bday gift ever.

Dang! Major score there! New toppers are spendy. I bought a used one, but they are often hard to find. Mind saying which junkyard you went to?
    I agree the bedrugs are nice. I have used the same one on my last two trucks.

Upull south of the cities. Oldest kid is a car nut and watches boneyards inventory. Went down the same day they got it in if I’m remembering correctly and had to wheel barrel it out. Was pretty comical. We are weird with vehicle stuff and enjoy that kind of stuff, a lot of people don’t and totally understand why.

Musky Ed

I’ve had a topper on my last 15 or so new trucks, and for my needs will always have toppers. Some I have had painted, and a couple of trucks I ordered the new truck in the same color, so that I didn’t have to buy new toppers all the time. My son has had a tonneau cover on the two pickups that he has owned. He is always asking me to pick up stuff for him when the weather is bad, as it won’t fit under his tonneau. I keep asking him, when is he going to grow up and get smart, and buy a topper. Keeps telling me they are too old fashioned. Guess he hasn’t grown up enough yet. I will admit that at times, I have needed to take the topper off, but I am fortunate in that I can do it myself with my tractors forks, and extensions I made for them.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have had both over the years, they have their plus and minus’s. Really for me it came down to season… Ice fishing season, topper (load everything in, lock it) summer and fall, the tonneau cover. With a topper , it has to 0-48″ high to fit and stay dry, with a tonneau cover 0-24″ to stay dry. To haul any height, has to be tonneau. Soft Tonneau’s are easy to break into, but conceal what is in there… most toppers have windows, but lock, so broken windows if valuables kept in. Ideally a hard tonneau for 3/4 of the year and a topper for the other 1/4. How about a hard tonneau with soft sides that can raise about 4′ when needed ? cool

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I have had the Truxedo type cover for as long as I can remember.. there are times I wish I had a topper…but most times not…. like most guys said above.. they both have their place…. if you dont want to swap them out… pick which one you would utilize the most…go with that….

I have been wanting a truck camper and just cant seem to find the justification in buying one.. but If I had one I know I sure would use it…

CaptainMusky

How about a hard tonneau with soft sides that can raise about 4′ when needed ? cool

That’s not that crazy of an idea and there is a company that makes a truck cap lift that raises your topper and has sides just like you are saying. I would imagine the same thing could be used on a hard shell tonneau. Its called TopperLift. Its made as a camper, but the rest of the idea is there. YOu can get it without the tent so you can load tall items in the bed of the truck. It is spendy though. $1300.

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.