Regrets going from topper to tonneau?

• hnd

went from a topper for 5 years to a tonneau cover teh past 2. i prefer the tonneau at this point. i haul a lot of stuff and didn’t like having to hook up the trailer for anything that didn’t fit in the back of my truck.

my cover is a roll up.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I roll with a tonneau (pun intented).

It takes me 5 seconds to jump up and roll it up if needed, and mine has thus far been waterproof and held up well on a 2013 F150. There are applications where the topper will be the best, but not for me. I enjoy not ducking when loading the truck for trips, shoveling out dirt, leaves, hauling firewood, etc.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve had both, and much prefer a tonneau. I do a lot more hauling of stuff and it’s so much easier to roll back the tonneau and strap down what you need. I would need to take a topper off multiple times per year which is a hassle. Topper would be nice if you didn’t haul a lot of stuff and could keep a slide out box full of your outdoors gear.

munchy
    NULL

If I wanted my truck to look like a suburban, I would have bought a suburban. Doubt I’ll ever go to a topper.

Have an Access Lomax hard folding tonneau and it is exactly what I need. Mostly waterproof (the truck bed corners are something less than desirable because of the factory plastic bed rails) and fairly secure, I’m sure a good crowbar can break in but that is most toppers as well. Can take it off in 30 seconds and unlocks with just the pull of a string from the inside.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

It takes me 5 seconds to jump up and roll it up if needed, and mine has thus far been waterproof and held up well on a 2013 F150.

Bucky, just curious…I too have a rolling cover on 2013 150 but mine I don’t need to jump up. Just unlatch and can unroll standing on the ground from either side.

As far as the debate, it really is one is that obviously needs and preferences go both ways for good reason.

Personally I have yet to have a need for a topper. The few times I’ve had to haul something that exceeds the height of the cover, it’s always been pick up the item(s) and deliver/drop off the same day. Then roll the cover back closed and lock it up.

For portable ice fishing I can easily fit everything in the bed under the cover, granted I’m not loading an ATV or snowmobile up there.

In this pic behind the buckets is also a 5-6 man hub shelter in there along side the flip over. Plenty of room on the sides for more gear. I have a 6 1/2 box.

Attachments:
    1. 20170219_164951_Burst01.jpg

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Always had a tonneau, wish I had a topper. This is going to be one of those real divisive topics as you’ve already noticed. I currently have the Bak revolver X4 aluminum rollup. It’s a great concept but I would never buy one (it came with the truck) as it doesn’t work hardly at all in the winter temps. Having been through a few soft tonneaus I just don’t like them.

Currently looking at Tahoes for my wife so that will ultimately satisfy the desire for a topper rig.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

It basically boils down to how often to you use your truck for hauling other things. I had a topper but took I off as I needed access to the whole box more often than not plus I like to see my boat and other trailers. The tonneau cover allows you to see more out the rear window and does not add blind spots

CaptainMusky

I went the opposite direction. All my trucks had tonneau covers and I just replaced with a topper. The one nice thing about a tonneau is you cannot see what’s in the bed. But they are not very secure at least the vinyl ones since a utility knife can quickly make things visible.
    I didnt want a topper initially because I thought it would look like an old man truck. Well, I am an old man now so it suits me.
    I always had trouble with the tonneau not being high enough to fit some of my bins underneath it.
    Now, I have more room in an enclosed space. Plus I have a front shelf with the side doors so its really handy. I am considering getting the utility boxes for the side of the box which would be able to hold guns, etc. That would be pretty slick.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

It takes me 5 seconds to jump up and roll it up if needed, and mine has thus far been waterproof and held up well on a 2013 F150.

Bucky, just curious…I too have a rolling cover on 2013 150 but mine I don’t need to jump up. Just unlatch and can unroll standing on the ground from either side.

As far as the debate, it really is one is that obviously needs and preferences go both ways for good reason.

Personally I have yet to have a need for a topper. The few times I’ve had to haul something that exceeds the height of the cover, it’s always been pick up the item(s) and deliver/drop off the same day. Then roll the cover back closed and lock it up.

For portable ice fishing I can easily fit everything in the bed under the cover, granted I’m not loading an ATV or snowmobile up there.

In this pic behind the buckets is also a 5-6 man hub shelter in there along side the flip over. Plenty of room on the sides for more gear. I have a 6 1/2 box.

I too can just unroll from either side. The reason I mentioned jumping into the bed is that usually if the cover is going up, it’s something I will have to get into the bed to load.

I’ve heard reports all over the place about different brands, but I cannot argue with how well the Truxedo cover on my truck has held up. It is 7 years old now, is still waterproof, handles snow, the car wash, etc all fine.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I too can just unroll from either side. The reason I mentioned jumping into the bed is that usually if the cover is going up, it’s something I will have to get into the bed to load.

I’ve heard reports all over the place about different brands, but I cannot argue with how well the Truxedo cover on my truck has held up. It is 7 years old now, is still waterproof, handles snow, the car wash, etc all fine.

Aha…okay. And yes I have the Truxedo cover as well. Everything you say about it is exactly 100% my satisfaction as well.

Not one thing I could complain about. waytogo

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.- Harry Middleton
    Attachments:

20170219_164951_Burst01.jpg

Hey Andy you need a bedliner in that truck!

404 ERROR
    MN

I have both and use them for different seasons. Once fall hits, I put the topper back on and keep it on all fall and winter. I take it back off in spring and put a tonneau on so I can haul an ATV in the bed all summer. It all comes down to how you’ll use it. You are height restricted with a topper. If that may be an issue for you, maybe a tonneau is a better fit.

fishingchallenged

Very dependent on how you use your truck.

I’ve had a Suburban, topper and now a tonneau cover. Don’t miss the topper. Visibility is better with the tonneau, never need to take it off to load tall items, can use the loader on the tractor to load heavy items, easily have loads of dirt and mulch dumped in. I REALLY don’t miss crawling around under the topper. They both have their place and with 2 pages of responses, hopefully you can identify the things you will haul to make your choice. Good luck!

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I have both and use them for different seasons. Once fall hits, I put the topper back on and keep it on all fall and winter. I take it back off in spring and put a tonneau on so I can haul an ATV in the bed all summer. It all comes down to how you’ll use it. You are height restricted with a topper. If that may be an issue for you, maybe a tonneau is a better fit.

This is what I did. I liked having the topper for fall/winter when hauling ice fishing gear, hunting gear, never have to worry about something blowing out when it’s loaded high. I’d like to get another one for the next truck. I’d set it up so I can back into my garage, have 4 eye bolts that I can hook a ceiling mounted hoist to and in less than 10 mins have the topper taken off when I haul the wheeler or something else big

Dan
    Southeast MN

I’m about a week away from buying a new truck and considering this that was talked about a few months ago on here.

Diamondback Truck Cover

Still limited on space at times but the ability to throw stuff on top and strap it down is appealing. Not sure if I’ll go that route or not, I need to look into it.

queenswake
    NULL

Another pro about the topper is if you get the roof racks on it, easy built-in solution for strapping down a canoe, kayaks, ladder, etc. That’s always there.

Yeah, this thread has really highlighted the pros and cons, which I agree with. My main complaints about the topper is that I don’t often even take advantage of all of the space because it’s such a PITA to climb in there and hands and knees. I have a pole, too, to move stuff around, but that only gets you so far.

However, it’s just so nice to always have a ton of room to just shove stuff in and lock it for the night. Get home late, don’t have to worry about unloading an open pickup bed. Just leave it locked in the topper. There’s always something odd sized I ended up bringing along that takes up a lot of room.

I also agree that ice fishing is a big one. So much crap comes along, even without the shelter. But as long as you don’t have passengers in your backseat, a lot of stuff can go in there as well.

Yeah, still haven’t made up my mind. I also don’t get why putting a topper on makes it a grandpa truck. Maybe the old aluminum ones, but any fiberglass topper today in the matching color looks pretty darn nice on a truck in my opinion.

munchy
    NULL

Yep, it is, thanks Andy. You can all me many things but being good at the internets is not one of them.

Quick tip about posting links to this site:

Delete everything in front of the “www”, for some reason this site duplicates the http portion during the post and tweaks out.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

This is my first truck with an aluminum tri-fold tonneau cover. My next truck will likely have one too.

All my gear is protected from prying eyes. It would be very difficult to get into that box. I keep my ice fishing stuff in there all winter long. If I need to haul something large, the aluminum cover folds up and locks in place, although it blocks my back window, and I’m not a fan of that.

Mike West

Bucky & Walleyestudent,
    Do you know which model you have?
    I see prices are kind of all over the board on these.
    I am pulling the plug on one soon and your inputs have been very vaulable.
    Thanks

CaptainMusky

Yeah, this thread has really highlighted the pros and cons, which I agree with. My main complaints about the topper is that I don’t often even take advantage of all of the space because it’s such a PITA to climb in there and hands and knees. I have a pole, too, to move stuff around, but that only gets you so far.

Getting a topper with the side windoors solves this problem. I wouldnt have a topper without them. I have a shelf in the front of the topper and its handy to have 2 tier loading and its easily accessible from either side of the truck.

basseyes

Everyone has different needs. Having access to people to remove a topper helps as well. If you don’t have close regular access to help lifting one off and on that would suck. Carpeted bedrugs are awesome on the knees. Carpeted toppers are nice too. Side lift windows with vents are sweet. Covers have there place and if that’s what fit my needs that’s what I’d have. Cost is another issue. My oldest kid took me to a junkyard as a surprise and the family got me a carpeted topper with side lift vented windows and a full bedrug for like $75 total. One of the best d@m bday gift ever.

bfishn

I have always used Access roll up covers and have never had a reason to change. Even when I had a dog I just used an insulated kennel cover that kept him plenty warm even on the coldest days. I just like being able to go from covered bed to full open bed and back again in 1 minute, its the best of both worlds and has the fewest limitations IMO.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Bucky & Walleyestudent,
    Do you know which model you have?
    I see prices are kind of all over the board on these.
    I am pulling the plug on one soon and your inputs have been very vaulable.
    Thanks

Mine would be the Truxedo Lo Pro, or the equivalent 7 years ago. The price variation would be with some added features and heavier duty components, the industrial grade vinyl cover over the lower cost Truxport model.

I can’t advise about the Truxport model being that’s not the one I have but I would strongly recommend in getting what you pay for. I have not had the benefit of a garage to park my truck, so the entire 7 years it has been outside exposed to the elements. Sun I think potentially would cause the most damage with the cover eventually cracking, splitting, becoming brittle being sun baked.

Today at this moment there is still not a crack, blister, tear, loose or unraveling threads on this cover. I am a very satisfied customer.

The higher cost Sentry models appear to have more security features than the Lo Pro, but not sure the extra cost buys you any more longevity.

Mike West

Thanks Andy
    I agree fully, you get what you pay for.
    I’m not rich, but the things I do have are all above entry level + and never has there been a regret going with that philosophy.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’d set it up so I can back into my garage, have 4 eye bolts that I can hook a ceiling mounted hoist to and in less than 10 mins have the topper taken off when I haul the wheeler or something else big

Mines setup on a pulley system with a boat winch mounted to the wall. Takes me about 5 minutes to take off and put on. Not the easiest alone since I didn’t want to put eyebolts in the topper and I use 2×4’s with eyebolts in them instead. I need to pick up the topper and slide in the 2×4’s.

CaptainMusky

My oldest kid took me to a junkyard as a surprise and the family got me a carpeted topper with side lift vented windows and a full bedrug for like $75 total. One of the best d@m bday gift ever.

Dang! Major score there! New toppers are spendy. I bought a used one, but they are often hard to find. Mind saying which junkyard you went to?
    I agree the bedrugs are nice. I have used the same one on my last two trucks.

CBMN
    North Metro

My past 4 trucks have all had the access tonneau covers and I like them a lot. I had never had a topper but started looking into a cheap topper option about 18 months ago as I take a few longer trips where it is nice to bring a lot of gear in the late winter/early spring and I also kind of liked the idea of heading out for a weekend with no plans/reservations and just sleeping in the back of the truck with the topper. I happened to find a nearly new, lesser brand (ranch) fiberglass topper for my truck for $500 and thought I didn’t have much to loose at that price. I still have the access cover for my current truck but don’t see putting it back on in the near future. It would be nice to have a lift system to easily take the topper off but I also have a utility trailer that is really easy for me to use and generally only get used in the 10-20 miles from home when I need to buy larger items or materials for home projects. For my use the topper is great but I also don’t daily drive my truck and it is just a weekend vehicle.

Brad Dimond

Mike West wrote “I’m not rich, but the things I do have are all above entry level + and never has there been a regret going with that philosophy.”

Absolutely agree. Value isn’t tied to the lowest price, it’s a function of price and utility. For example, I can purchase a less expensive fishing rod than a St. Croix but for the extra money I get a much better rod to fish with compared to buying a low end Shakespeare and the St. Croix lasts much longer with a great warranty.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.