Reeds-leech lake fillet knife

• brentbullets

I have been following this and haven’t replied but I own 3 different Leech Lake knives and have been to the shop in Marengo on 3 different occasions to have my knives sharpened and I can attest that Jim runs a tight ship and quality doesn’t suffer. As he has stated, maybe something slipped through but I would be willing to bet the issues are not with the knives that Custom Cutlery produced. Oh and by the way they will not sell a Leech Lake knife direct, I tried multiple times. I love my Leech Lakes and they clean hundreds of walleyes ever year.

James M. Kaisler

Just bought a Leech Lake fillet knife from Scheels.
    Very beautiful knife!
    BUT,
    Wasn’t impressed with the sharpness, in fact it was dull like a letter opener or butter knife.
    Found this site and read all of the reviews.
    Most weren’t positive, especially with the 2018 models which is what I have.
    My $10 Berkley can slice easily through a thin paper purchase reciept.
    The leach lake couldn’t.
    I thought about what someone had said about having to sharpen every new knife.
    I have bought many knives that were very sharp right out of the box but I still put a new edge on it myself which has always improved even the sharpest of knives.
    I’ve never had a new knife ever be this dull out of the box before.
    I use a $20 diamond sharpening rod from Fleet Farm that has never failed me so I figured I’d give it a try with the Leech Lake Fillet Knife.
    I was amazed how sharp the knife became!
    Even the top side of the knife!
    It’s like a scalpel now!
    Still want to give it the real test on a fish!
    I feel pretty confident it will pass with flying colors!
    Will get back on how it does.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

…and if you buy a angled sharpener, I was told they sharpen their knives to a 15 degree angle.

labsrus

I have an ’05 and it has a green/black handle. it is sharp enough.

Attachments:
    1. 20200929_2123131.jpg

Deuces

My 2019 has been wonderful. Was admiring another IDOers this week that was older but just as good.

The design and flex is what makes it an exceptional fillet knife. Any folks who haven’t hopped onto the electric wagon yet would really appreciate how this gets up, and around those rib bones.

LabDaddy1

My dad told me that back in the day, if you bought a leech fillet knife from the owner at a show, he would give you a bandaid with every knife purchased, as of to say, “you will cut yourself eventually,” or something along those lines. Like it was his trademark.

Thought that was kinda cool…

Joel W Taylor

I got one of these knives for my birthday last summer. It was so full I don’t think I could have cut myself on purpose much less shave with it. I couldn’t believe the price they were charging for a knife that was so dull. I didn’t have the heart to tell the family they wasted their money. And the suggestion that a consumer should have to sharpen a brand new knife that cost that much is laughable.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I cut myself on mine until you really learn the backside is sharp at the tip. Mine is from 2002. Don did the personal engraving himself. Since I stopped going to the Northwest Sportshow, I just gently touch it up a few times a year on a steel. I’ve bought 3 for some of my best fishing buddies. Would buy again if needed.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I got one of these knives for my birthday last summer. It was so full I don’t think I could have cut myself on purpose much less shave with it. I couldn’t believe the price they were charging for a knife that was so dull. I didn’t have the heart to tell the family they wasted their money. And the suggestion that a consumer should have to sharpen a brand new knife that cost that much is laughable.

There are counterfeit / knock off LL Knives out there. Possible you got one?

-J.

marbleeyes24 (Larry)
    Nevis

I’ve had my leech lake knife since 2003 with the hand engravement at the base of the blade. It has a green and black handle. Very easy to keep an edge on it. I did however grind down the top edge of the blade so it isn’t sharp. I like the concept but just too dangerous especially if someone picks the knife up that isn’t aware.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I have an ’05 and it has a green/black handle. it is sharp enough.

i’ve had fingers look like that to from leech lake knives!! doah

i simply run them over a steel now and then and good to go. i also use them to cut up my deer. i have 4, 2 long ones and 2 short ones and love them.

LabDaddy1

The sharpened back side of the tip is meant for making the initial behind the gill cut. It’s that cut, going through the skin/scales that dulls them the most. A lot of people don’t know this.

Joel W Taylor

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joel W Taylor wrote:</div>

There are counterfeit / knock off LL Knives out there. Possible you got one?

-J.

Not unless Scheels is selling counterfeit knives

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.