Red Wing River Trip

• riverbassman

I’m hoping some of the Minnesota subscribers on here can help this Cheesehead out.
    We do a river trip every year locking up from south to stay at Wabasha. We don’t venture much north of Lake Pepin (Kelly’s Lakehouse). This year, some want to head up to Red Wing for the day. I have questions if you can help:
    1. is there a public dock?
    2. is downtown or sightseeing type crap close walk from river/docks?
    3. best place for lunch, cold drinks and fun?

Appreciate any answers you give! THANKS

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Yes, yes and Harbor bar. However it is still probably closed as it was underwater few weeks ago. Woodshed next door same story perhaps? Both right across the bridge.

There’s a small public dock at Baypoint park. You can pretty much fish all around the park. Same goes for Colvill. Pottery pond next door has stocked trout unless the high water pulled em into the river?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Did liberty’s rebuild, reopen? Awesome food. Not 2 far from the water.

Deuces

Harbor bar was open when we were in town Sunday, we biked in from the cannon valley trail and stuck to the MN side. Boardwalk and adjacent areas weren’t flooded out but we didn’t venture to far off path except to Kelly’s. Think reggaefest is next weekend for the Harbor bar, good times

BigWerm
    SW Metro

1. I think Baypoint has one, not sure about Colville and I don’t believe there is one for downtown.
    2. There’s some good spots up from Baypoint (the original Kellys, Bayside, RW Brewing). Downtown would probably require a cab ride or real long walk, but lots of great spots, the St James is cool and has a couple good restaurants, Liberty’s and Hanisch Bakery would top my list downtown. Plus you have the Shoe (Red Wing Boots) and a bunch of shops.
    3. In addition to the places already mentioned there is Mr. Sippi’s and Harbor Bar right on the river. Harbor Bar may result in running into BK, some spam and/or Hamm’s so proceed there with caution. rotflol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There is a public dock although small for fishing type boats in Colvil. They just put up a bridge that will take you into the West End District. Kellys, Bayside, RW Brewing.

Red Wing put in a public dock right in front of ADM (across the river from the Harbor bar) that will lead you to Liberties and Hamish Bakery among other restaurants.

The Harbor Bar is right on the water with all sorts of docking area.
    The woodshed is too far of a walk (for me).

If you have gear in your boat want want to feel more comfortable, the Red Wing Marina is just up stream from the Harbor Bar on the MN side. Most everything is within walking distance from the marina. Their might be a small fee to park there. Cindy can get you a taxi if you would like to venture further into the city.

For good food, I would recommend Bayside Tap and Grill. (Bonus, they have Hamm’s)
    For fun(?) I would go to Kelly’s which is right next door to Bayside.

Harbor Bar has it’s Reggeafest July 26 to the 28th. If it’s not raining, it will be busy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

PS it’s always a good time taking a hike up to the top of Barn Bluff…if your up to it.

riverbassman

Thanks everyone, made her here, all good. Cindy at Marina is awesome and helped the wife with where to shop and me where to drink.
    I blew the no wake for a bit south of Covill park or whateverbits called…..thanks to the hand gestures from guys in a boat to let me know. I didn’t mean to blow it as we never saw it. I hate being “that” guy. Thanks again!

Dan
    Southeast MN

That no wake zone isn’t marked the best, don’t feel bad about that one.

isu22andy

If you feel bad about blowing that no wake zone just show up the first 50-60 degree weekend in March . You’ll feel a lot better about blowing it .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.