red wing.

• Alex James Hartman

Just kind of curious if anyone out there ice fishes red wing boat launch by the docks and wondering what your catching and if it worth to try. I was out there before ice and fish the docks and caught some really nice crappies. Just wondering what your catching or if the ice is safe there. And if fish are biting wouldnt mind trying it out. Feedback would be much appreciated.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

People fish there all winter and do well. The early ice bite is best but fish get caught all winter long there.

Actually just about every marina along the river will harbor a fair bite thru the winter months. Wabasha’s has been cranking pretty good recently.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

At Red Wing it depends on where inside the marina you fish. Those venturing towards the outlet into the river and the large open are of the bay will find walleye, sauger, northern and crappie. Those hanging around the dock structures can plan on crappies, sunfish and perch.

Alex James Hartman

By any chance do you know if the ice is safe by the river outlet like to get on a decent walleye bite with some mix of crappies as well.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I personally haven’t been on the ice so I can’t say yea or nay. One reactor is off-line at Prairie Island above the dam and this cold weather is forcing ice in places where there normally is none. The entry area I mentioned always has had ice and people fishing it in past years when both reactors were in operation so I’d assume that people are at least walking the ice there. The further back into the bay, the thicker the ice will get and the walleyes will slip back in the bay quite a ways.

Alex James Hartman

Ok. I would imagine the ice is safe enough to walk on there. Your info was much appreciated. With the warm front coming in hopefully it will spike the bite for some walleyes and crappies. I will give it a try this weekend and will post feedback. Thanks Tom!

ozzyky
    On water

I’d use a spud( and common sense) but it can be done. Lots of cigar size eyes/saucers towards the river when I was there Friday. The bite can really fluctuate there but you don’t know till you try

ozzyky
    On water

3-7. I’m sure it’s putting it on fast last few days

purehd
    Newport mn

How is the ice back in the bay? Thinking about heading out today before the warm spell hits us and ice is gone…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.