Red Lake Report 7/28-7/29

• Dan Baker

We got up to West Wind for a quick Thursday – Friday trip. We took the bait shop advice of pulling gold spinners and minnows. We spent most of Thursday going along the first break for miles. Had next to no action and just about ran the trolling motor out of batteries. At around 6:30 pm we decided to try a small isolated hump about 4 miles west of the resort. As soon as we pulled up we got bit. We trolled the spinners around the hump and quickly boated 4 nice walleye and one large perch. We decided to head in before resort restaurant closed.
    The next morning, we went straight to the same hump. This time there was another boat parked right where we were hoping to fish. So we went just off the hump the deeper water. Again we hammerd the fish right away. We wound up catching are final four walleye in about an hour to finish up our limit. The other boat that was on the hump only caught on fish in that same time. So it seems they are up in the evening and off the main structure during the day. The lake was dead calm and the weather was perfect. Totally worth the trip!

Thanks,
    Dan

Charles

Man that is good to know I am getting the itch to head up there.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

I am heading up in two weeks. Did you try pulling any cranks?

Dan Baker

We didn’t. We just focused on spinners. We did talk to one other boat that said they did well vertical jigging minnows.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Thank you. I have never fished Red on open water even though this time of year is probably not ideal it will still be a fun learning experience and of course nice to get away from work.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.