Red Lake Fishing Walleye Question

• Charles

First time up this weekend with a buddy and we just missed are limit by one. Were thinking, how in the heck can the walleye reproduce so much or withstand the beating this lake takes. I have never seen so many people fishing a lake before lol.

404 ERROR
    MN

We only get 40% of the lake to fish. Look at the other 60%, it hardly gets pressured. I predict this thread taking a downward spiral fast, so let’s hope for the best!

What was the hot tactic or color? Planning on heading up this coming weekend. Where did you launch out of?

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Here’s my explanation. Upper Red Lake has about 50,000 acres open to the public (and another 70,000 acres that get very little pressure as previously posted). Even if you think about the hundreds (or more realistically thousands) of houses on red lake, it’s still a MUCH lower ratio of houses / fishable acres compared to many other lakes.

As a basis for comparison, most metro lakes are 100-500 acres and have a couple dozen to a couple hundred houses on the lake.

Lastly, Red seems to get fairly light pressure in the spring, summer, and fall (at least from what I’ve seen when I’m up there).

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Or the most important factor being it is an extremely fertile shallow basin lake. Ideal walleye waters.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.