Red lake

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Red is going to continue to get pounded. The weather outlook doesn’t support a ton of ice formation in places that don’t currently have any. Mille Lacs may not be an option for a long time.

If you follow this logic then you missed out

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    Red is going to continue to get pounded. The weather outlook doesn’t support a ton of ice formation in places that don’t currently have any. Mille Lacs may not be an option for a long time.

If you follow this logic then you missed out

What logic? Did I in any way tell people not to go to Red? I simply said people are going to be there because it’s the only show in town and ice isn’t going to be forming anywhere else.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

We have no crappie yet. But the last 3 trips we have caught a handful each time

I was just reading in this weeks Outdoor News that there is an abundant 2018 year class of crappies. They’re currently only 7-8″ now but in another year or two it sounds like they could be a nice bonus. Maybe not like the crappie boom 20 years ago, but possibly significant nonetheless.

woke up to a 3’ snowdrift against my wheeler.

Did I read that right? You took a wheeler out there? blush

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    We have no crappie yet. But the last 3 trips we have caught a handful each time

I was just reading in this weeks Outdoor News that there is an abundant 2018 year class of crappies. They’re currently only 7-8″ now but in another year or two it sounds like they could be a nice bonus. Maybe not like the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappie boom 20 years ago, but possibly significant nonetheless.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Waste wrote:</div>
    woke up to a 3’ snowdrift against my wheeler.

Did I read that right? You took a wheeler out there? blush

well what else you gonna jump pressure ridges with!

Matt Waste

Many did, but no I did not. Only to get my gear from parking lot to house I rented at JR’s. I just got mine two weeks ago and wasn’t eager to risk it. However many were out there on wheeler, most only went halfway but a handful came all the way out to the rock bar and beyond. Jrs guys were shuttling walkers at days end. Where I fished had 7” of solid solid ice with 1-1.5” of crap on top. Couple ice quakes and plenty of popping but nothing unusual this early.

Rod Bent

Thanks for the intel. I just watched Sobi on YouTube and he used red and gold and hot pink. From yesterday, good stuff.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Many did, but no I did not. Only to get my gear from parking lot to house I rented at JR’s. I just got mine two weeks ago and wasn’t eager to risk it. However many were out there on wheeler, most only went halfway but a handful came all the way out to the rock bar and beyond. Jrs guys were shuttling walkers at days end. Where I fished had 7” of solid solid ice with 1-1.5” of crap on top. Couple ice quakes and plenty of popping but nothing unusual this early.

Good you played safe Matt.

And sounds like you did good catching without risking your new wheeler. Now you know you have no regrets.

Westwind Resort posted on FB yesterday of a plane they had flyover most the upper lake where folks were fishing and had numerous pics of open water areas. And very close to where people were setup fishing.

They warned several times in their post about people traveling out on ATV’s is not recommended.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I just came back and was in 11fow Friday and got 15 by myself from 11-4. Went to the same spot Saturday and fished 3 hours not marking 1 fish. With the 10,000 people out there I figured the noise moved them deeper. So at 11 I packed it up and went past everyone to 14fow and had 3 in the first 5 min. I got over 30 fish non stop and 2 doubles till 3:30 when I left to get get in line for a early JR’s fish fry (it was a 2 hour wait Friday night). Walked over to a guy by me and he had Panoptix. He was showing me schools of shiners and walleye all over the bottom it was unreal to see 3 or 4 walleye on the bottom and you did not see any on your flasher, Game changer for sure.

Attachments:
    1. C7F742F3-68AB-44B4-BFF9-780D3DF86F00.jpeg

tanner voeller

got my first upper red lake crappie saturday evening!

Attachments:
    1. C36A9E9F-7EE0-4099-9160-5548568EC1DB.jpeg

2. AC2DD1E7-BF6F-41AA-9CBB-180951481AC9.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just hiking in. 3 guys. We have our 9. But we worked to make that happen. Ots of missed fish, and lots of fish caught

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

How long of a walk?

I’ve done the mile-long drag on URL before and have no issue with it, but I’m thinking of bringing my 69y/o dad with.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

How long of a walk?

I’ve done the mile-long drag on URL before and have no issue with it, but I’m thinking of bringing my 69y/o dad with.

Hiked a mile out from Rodgers and 1.5 out from hillmans.

Boar

Going.

Coletrain27

How long till trucks and wheelhouses? I’m sure there will be lots of wheelers out there this weekend

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

How long till trucks and wheelhouses?

Why don’t you go for a little drive in your truck and let us know Coletrain? jester

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>
    How long till trucks and wheelhouses?

Why don’t you go for a little drive in your truck and let us know Coletrain? jester

Ok I’ll pick you up on the way waytogo

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Lol good one

Boar

who ever you are glenn57..that sure seems like a unorthadox way of welcoming a new member.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

who ever you are glenn57..that sure seems like a unorthadox way of welcoming a new member.

whistling rotflol rotflol

Well it’ll be glad to see you again in 3 weeks up on red waytogo rotflol

Boar

you have me confused with someone else….

LabDaddy1

Jeez guys, the air feels tight in here… None of my business but welcome, boar. Glenn is actually a good guy, lol.

Now, on to my concerns-

Feel like I really lucked out, got a portavillA house on shore through Rogers, fir this weekend at the last minute. Guy On the phone was pretty talkative and friendly, also helpful. I’ve been excited ever since and so is my buddy. But now I’ve been reading through a bunch of reviews of Rogers on the internet(i know, don’t believe everything you read, and there’s lots of folks with too high of expectations) but there seems to be consistent bad reviews all saying the same things and I’m worried. Don’t want to get up there and find out my reservations have been cancelled or anything along those lines.

I’m driving a long ways for this, and hoping and praying those reviews aren’t accurate. If anybody can offer me some reassurance of good experiences, or warn me, I’d really appreciate it more than you know. Thanks

Boar

lmao! lab, i know, weve been freinds for years. we are heading to red in two weeks. me and cook are good freinds as with glenn, its what we do. he took the first jab, so its my duty to mess with him. muffin head! im looking foward to fishingbwith yu! and kickn your arse in our bet!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Jeez guys, the air feels tight in here… None of my business but welcome, boar. Glenn is actually a good guy, lol.

Now, on to my concerns-

Feel like I really lucked out, got a portavillA house on shore through Rogers, fir this weekend at the last minute. Guy On the phone was pretty talkative and friendly, also helpful. I’ve been excited ever since and so is my buddy. But now I’ve been reading through a bunch of reviews of Rogers on the internet(i know, don’t believe everything you read, and there’s lots of folks with too high of expectations) but there seems to be consistent bad reviews all saying the same things and I’m worried. Don’t want to get up there and find out my reservations have been cancelled or anything along those lines.

I’m driving a long ways for this, and hoping and praying those reviews aren’t accurate. If anybody can offer me some reassurance of good experiences, or warn me, I’d really appreciate it more than you know. Thanks

Keep your expectations down for the shack and you won’t be disappointed. How many many sleeper did you get? We had a 4 man for 2 guys and it was tight to say the least. And not very nice. But we were ice fishing and renting from a stranger. So thats life

glenn57
    cold spring mn

lmao! lab, i know, weve been freinds for years. we are heading to red in two weeks. me and cook are good freinds as with glenn, its what we do. he took the first jab, so its my duty to mess with him. muffin head! im looking foward to fishingbwith yu! and kickn your arse in our bet!!

yep, i concur!!!!!!! waytogo rotflol just what the 2 of us do.

like bearcat said dont expect the holiday inn or hilton and you’ll be good. i rented an overnight house from cookies when boar and a few others hit red a few years back. i didnt know what to expect, but from a previous experience with an overnight house, cookies house was a very comfortable and really nice house.

bearcat, if i read correctly, you are going out of hillmans, and a few others i’ve read are staying in cookies housed on shore……so is this boar guy!!!! and regardless of what you read between us, he is really a great guy!!!!!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I will be camping out in my shack on the lake this weekend but yes out of hillmans

Doug M
    SE SD

Now, on to my concerns-

The wife and I have rented from Portavilla many times and never had an issue with a reservation or anything. We actually felt the Fruedenbergs were very accommodating. Bill would come chat and have a beer with us.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bass Thumb wrote:</div>
    How long of a walk?

Hiked a mile out from Rodgers and 1.5 out from hillmans.

Thanks, Bud.

Looks like pops will be staying home. He’s not cut out for that anymore.

Only exception is if I can bring the wheeler out next Mon Tues and Weds, which I doubt at this point.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I will be camping out in my shack on the lake this weekend but yes out of hillmans

good luck Ron! ill be up there doing the same on the 16th

LabDaddy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>LabDaddy1 wrote:</div>

Keep your expectations down for the shack and you won’t be disappointed. How many many sleeper did you get? We had a 4 man for 2 guys and it was tight to say the least. And not very nice. But we were ice fishing and renting from a stranger. So thats life

I wasn’t worried about the quality or size of the house, don’t expect to be more than a basic base camp. But I rented a 2 man. It was 40$ a night. I read in your other posts that you also paid 40$- that was for a 4-man? Thanks for the reassurance everyone

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.