Red lake

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I took a few minutes and cruised most of the resorts’ and guides’ pages on social media. I have yet to find any who are now thinking people will be out Thanksgiving weekend. The temps and winds aren’t looking favorable for mending things until next week at the earliest.

It’s looking like November fishing is a longshot and now all eyes will be shifting to the first week in December.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I’m with you BW! I don’t push it. If I want a cold bath I can do that at home.

AnotherFisherman

Was hoping to get out Thanksgiving weekend, but now it is not looking too promising. To be safe, I’ll wait another week or two.

tim hurley

I need more life insurance!
    Wife used to worry alot about my fishing, in weird areas, in the wind cold etc.
    I increased my life insurance and she worries a lot less.
    To skate around on 3” of Ice up at Red? Would have to bump it some more!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    I readily admit that I am way more cautious then most

You’re smarter than the average bear, Werm.

Well thats a insult if I’ve ever read one. Thanks for that. Noted and remembered.

Looks like plans will change as of now. A guide buddy of mine called with a great tip on a walleye bite close to red. So maybe explore those options or maybe take the boat back out close to home. Will decide by Thursday I guess.

blackbay
    mn

So you guys are saying a one ton dually pulling a 24 foot Ice Castle isn’t going to work yet?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So you guys are saying a one ton dually pulling a 24 foot Ice Castle isn’t going to work yet?

Just be sure to replace the summer air in your tires with winter air and you will float right along………….well for a while anyway. roll

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Well thats a insult if I’ve ever read one. Thanks for that. Noted and remembered.

It wasn’t a direct comment towards you Bearcat because of your name. I was only saying a common quote and bear happened to be included which is also included in your screen name by coincidence.

Matt Waste

Crack 1.5 mile out,same as last year this time. I’m still comfortable going especially if the NW wind shows up tonight… this early we only need to make it to 6+ft… However if last night’s SE wind made things worse I could be singing a different song.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Take this for what its worth. NOAA is forecasting a warm trend for most of December.

Attachments:
    1. d059db-20201123-noaa-week-3-and-4-temperature-outlook.gif

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Do any of the resorts let you stay in your own wheelhouse on shore for a fee?

Charles

That couple that went through, there was more to that story then what you heard.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    I readily admit that I am way more cautious then most

You’re smarter than the average bear, Werm.

LOL!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Yeah I think most of them do BT, I know JR’s for sure does.

Justin riegel

most will JR’s charges 25 a night

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yes I know guys do this at hillmans every year

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Thanks Werm, that’s what I assumed. Makes their lives easier as well I’d assume.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Yeah most of them will JR’s you don’t even need to reserve a spot. I was thinking about if it is worth dragging mine up or just rent a shack to stay on shore. We are planning next weekend at this point.

Ripjiggen

Sounds like it may be touch and go. At this point none of the resorts have made the call As the winds are suppose to switch a couple times this week. The main sheet is going to be moving a lot and slamming back and fourth. Where there was ice on lower red it is now gone. The crack pretty much affects every resort to some degree. Have to just keep checking their Facebook pages.

Attachments:
    1. 059025D4-5523-4DD8-A552-362245768680.png

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just talked to hillmans he has a road out over a mile right now. And the crack has no affected them at all

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Good share, Ripjiggin!

Daris Rosebear, the popular Lower Red Lake guide, has a video on Facebook showing and describing how the south end of Upper Red Lake has cracked and opened up near shore, as far as the eye can see looking east.

Sounds like going out anytime soon is asking for a costly and embarrassing rescue operation over a few early-season walleye.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

If you fall in on Red, you will likely hit bottom btw. Skrewed if you are a lil guy I guess. That first break is 5 feet. A lot of guys chance it because it’s so shallow.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

If you fall in on Red, you will likely hit bottom btw. Skrewed if you are a lil guy I guess. That first break is 5 feet. A lot of guys chance it because it’s so shallow.

That couple that went through, there was more to that story then what you heard.

Terrible tragedy but that kid drove his wheeler into open water. Driving around after dark on early ice isn’t a great idea

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Yeah most of them will JR’s you don’t even need to reserve a spot. I was thinking about if it is worth dragging mine up or just rent a shack to stay on shore. We are planning next weekend at this point.

I’m fortunate to have less than a two hour drive. I’m thinking maybe a week from today. I enjoy the comfort of my my own shack!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Just talked to hillmans he has a road out over a mile right now. And the crack has no affected them at all

Thats Buddy for ya! He drives his S10 on 7 inches so no surprise there. Stay away from the tamarac and you can probably find good enough ice?

Ripjiggen

Yeah sounds like the crack is out about a mile or so from shore on the south end. So as long as the northwest wind doesn’t slam it back and break it up then it should be good to the first break, but nobody on that side of the lake has made the call yet. With 20 plus MPH winds this weekend it may make it interesting.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Yeah sounds like the crack is out about a mile or so from shore on the south end. So as long as the northwest wind doesn’t slam it back and break it up then it should be good to the first break, but nobody on that side of the lake has made the call yet. With 20 plus MPH winds this weekend it may make it interesting.

We are holding off until last minute to make the call. A few lakes in the same area have ice and are producing. Like I said earlier. It may be a pool 2 open water weekend

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thats Buddy for ya! He drives his S10 on 7 inches so no surprise there. Stay away from the tamarac and you can probably find good enough ice?

Guys drive can am 1000s and sxs on that much ice. A 97 s10 is about the same. Guy on chisago has his Ford ranger on 7 inches. Every year since I was a kid. He’s 75 said he’s been living on the lake 55 years. So I trust his word.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

We are holding off until last minute to make the call. A few lakes in the same area have ice and are producing. Like I said earlier. It may be a pool 2 open water weekend

All you can really do. Post a report if you make it out. Good luck.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.