Red Door Report

• Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quick report from the weekend out of the Red Door

The bite is what everyone is saying, lots of walleyes! We have a variety of year classes, from 9 inch fish (2:30 am rattle wheel), majority 12 to 13 inch fish, and while visiting Jake he landed a dandy 22 inch fish (1pm). We did also catch 1 tullibee about 14 inches as well. We had rattle wheels down, with plain hooks and chartreuse, which had a slight advantage over a black hook with glow bead. All rattle wheels had either rainbow or fathead minnows. I would say the fatheads clearly caught more fish. I jigged a majority of the weekend, seen a lot of activity on the Marcum, could pull most fish several feet off the bottom, but no commitment. However best bait was 1/8th oz Yellow perch flash champ spoon tipped with minnow head.

Hats off to Steve and his staff at the red door over the weekend. From a very clean house at arrival to dealing with the ice big movement yesterday morning. Not to mention tremendous breakfast at the café.
    Still a few weeks left in the season and plenty of walleyes to catch on the mud flats of Mille Lacs via the Red Door!

Attachments:
    1. Jake-Ellie-Callee-mille-lacs.jpg

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I too was out of Red Door Saturday (fished from 11am-6pm) and I set up off a small flat that had only 2 houses on it (tried to get away from the crowds) and also had the same experience with 10″-14″ eyes’. No perch/pout’/tully’s but caught plenty of the small eye’s. That class of fish may just save that lake but we need more classes like it over the next five years…RR

munchy
    NULL

Glad I wasn’t the only one having a hard time getting a commitment on the jigs. I threw the tackle box at them and could pull some fish a good distance off the bottom but only one wanted to bite and he just got the minnow head.

I know I should have had a deadstick setup but my running and gunning style makes it more of a PITA, especially since I decided to leave the otter at home.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Hey Cal,

I’m glad that you and your family had a good time! It was nice running into out on the lake. Maybe see next May at the Big D on the opener?? that’s if we have one…thank’s for the kind words. The crew works hard on keeping the wheel oiled at the resort!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.