Reconditioned Tools?

• AnotherFisherman

Would any of you have any hesitations in purchasing reconditioned power tools? I’m looking at getting a leaf blower for very light use (clippings/leaves off driveway, and cleaning deck). It looks like there are some options out there for reconditioned blowers (battery operated).

Coletrain27

Depends if they are a name brand and have the same warranty As a new one. Also cost factor compared to new would be a question

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve bought several recon tools with success. Check the warranty, but the ones I have bought have been essentially indistinguishable from new.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Not a tool exactly but I bought a Lowrance fish finder reconditioned from Cabelas and it still works great.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Reconditioned tools are usually a good deal if they are a name brand from a known source. My BIL bough a recon Porter Cable router and table from a store on e-bay. A few months later he was contacted by a police dept in Nebraska because they were investigating the company he bought from for selling stolen goods. He had to send pics of the serial numbers. They mustn’t have been hot because he never heard from them again.

hnd

i’ve bought reconditioned dewalt and milwaukee tools with success. would recommend if a big name brand from a reputable dealer.

AnotherFisherman

Thanks guys! I haven’t heard horror stories before either, so I was already thinking it wouldn’t be a bad idea. Appreciate the responses

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I bought a reconditioned leaf blower and I am willing to bet that it was just a flat out return sold as reconditioned. What is the voltage you are looking at? I have been unhappy with my “reconditioned” purchase simple because it has absolutely no power at 20 volts.

dbright
    Cambridge

I bought a Husqvarna chainsaw and backpack blower 4 years ago refurbished. Both have worked flawlessly and I would buy them again. Super X Power in milaca had some great prices at the time.

I missed the battery operated part. I bought gas

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have bought about 10 reconditioned cordless and corded tools.

On the cordless side, the tools have been fine. The issues have been the tools that come with batteries. The batteries almost all have given out in short order.

IMO what happens is guys have a tool that breaks. So they send it back to the manufacturer under warranty and they send with it the oldest batteries in their collection. So those are the ones that get boxed up with the recon tool.

I’ve had 4 batteries that were included with recon tools go bad within a year of buying the tool they came with. All the recon tools themselves are still in use today.

So I’d have no isssue buying tools reconditioned, but factor in the price of replacement batteries and see if it’s still a deal. Unless you have batteries already for that system, in which case the recon batteries going dead won’t be as big of an issue.

Grouse

Gopherhawk

I just bought a reconditioned, bare tool hedge trimmer from CPOOutlets.com. They by far had the best price, and a decent return policy.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I run Milwaukee everything and will shop for reconditioned from time to time, depending on the tool and what I need it to do. Certain tools are less likely to be beat on than others.

Grouse is spot-on with the battery situation. I rarely run anything larger than the 6.0ah batteries due to weight, but I keep a stable of them around and charged. If these are some of your first tools and their reconditioned, I’d factor in the cost of at least 1 extra new battery.

CBMN
    North Metro

I run Milwaukee also and have bought a few reconditioned items thru CPO Outlet and Acme Tools over the past few years also. I have only bought bare tools reconditioned so I have never run into the battery issue but it makes sense. I also have bought reconditioned tools that I use less often, I think I have an M12 ratchet, an M18 light, an m18 grinder, and a 1/2″ mid torque impact. No problems so far with reconditioned. I have stuck with new and also gotten new batteries for items I use often like drills, saws, and blower string trimmer.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I’d be hesitant on a battery powered tool but I bought a refurbished Husqvarna chainsaw 450 rancher and it came with a warranty. I got it for half price of a new one and it’s basically new and has run like a top!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.